9/17/04 NOW: NC/VA/DC

Chad Ringley

Figured I would post this since no one else has and I plan on spotting/chasing in the RAH Warning area today...

Extremely conducive setup for tornadoes and even supercell structures in NC/VA where low level flow remains backed, sfc dwps are approaching 77-80F, and winds at mid levels are veering to the SW with a 55kt speed max.

Two convective lines in NC/VA have several cells with rotation and a few have already produced tornadoes, namely in Madison, VA, where law enforcement has reported damage.

I'm sitting in the RDU area at my research lab (new grad student at NC State) and I'm going to try my hand at chasing on the East Coast today. Rain wrapped cells moving NNE at 35mph sounds like a GREAT chasing enviornment to me :shock:

SPC has upgraded to MDT and 15% tornado....and several of us grad students are going ot head out and spot/chase.

At 3:05 EDT, tornado warning for Ablemarle, and Spotsylvania counties, and City of Fredericksburg. As soon as it gets closer, I'm heading out, chasing in DC traffic is for the insane!

there all west of me right now, but later.. ummmmmm

I'm listening to Topper on ch. 9

Pat, your so right driving in DC traffic is insane, let alone chase!

4:40PM EDT Skywarn reports significant damage in Remington in Fauquier County. Tornado on the ground near Winchester by the intersection of I-81 and Rt. 7

At 4:56PM, EDT, Fire companies responding to building collapse near Winchester Regional Airport. A tornado had passed through minutes ago

Tried to make it to eastern NC/VA from Atlanta today, didn't make it thanks to Raleigh-Durham traffic. Bill Coyle and Jesse Bass are in eastern VA, at last contact they have seen some nice tilted updraft towers and mammatus, nothing tornadic yet. Losing daylight now in the east, looks like the night is far from over though.

Unconfirmed reports of a direct tornado strike on Dulles International airport, planes damaged....

[edit] Still no collaborating reports on this -- must assume this is a false report [/edit]

While I was out chasing, the operator at Sterling NWS reported visually sighting a multi vortex tornado and then signed off to take shelter.

Sterling (LWX) is adjacent to Dulles airport, so reports of damage may be true.

In Manassas, a row of 25 cars damaged in the street, and trees with trunks wider than 18" uprooted or broken in half.

I was stuck in traffic watching the rotation from the Sterling 'nader (Rt7&Rt28), saw dissipating condensation and strong rotation

Weather channel is reporting 55 reports of tornados in Va, Md.

I'm sure there's multiple reports of tornados , but still got to be the largest outbreak ever for this area.

Leesburg airport was hit by lightning and caught a couple hangers on fire

Back