8/7/10 DISC: ND, MN

Last edited by a moderator:
If that tornado is rated EF4 or EF5 that will be 12 violent tornadoes this year. Though a fairly average year for tornadoes there have been a number of strong/violent tornadoes. It is fortunate there has not been many fatalities for they have hit in mainly rural areas.

Hard to say based upon any images that have been posted thus far, but based on a single-family residence with the slab essentially swept clean anything just above the lowest-bound would make it an EF4 tornado. Thus, as long as this home had any sort of decent build to it you will probably see an EF4 rating. Looking at the one pictures available on the NWS preliminary report, it doesn't look like the buildings were secured in any way to the foundation. That should pretty much eliminate any potential for an EF5...

I know one always runs into problems when trying to compare tornado events, because not all are the same. That is what makes storm chasing such a great avocation, you never experience the same storm. That being said, I find it difficult not to compare this event to the Eli Manitoba tornado back in June of 07'. It fits the same elegant but deadly characteristics. Had this tornado hit more populated areas, it would have been a real tragedy. Tossing a car a mile is a big thing. Watching Andy's stream the other day and the destruction to the farm house was amazing. The outer walls were just obliterated and tossed hundreds of yards up and back around the circulation. Clearly has to be rated EF-3 at the very least, but I would lean more into the 4 range myself. It is still in the realm of possibilities that this could get an EF-5 rating. One of the best video depictions of a drill bit tornado that I have seen in a while.

One thing I'm not seeing much of in these new images is debarking of trees. I realize that many of the pictures do not contain trees as a focus, but from what I can see of them, despite many that are ripped off well above the ground (although there are a number of uprooted trees), there isn't much that got debarked, and it does seem like a number of trees were in the path of the tornado. Still very impressive damage to the field and the buildings that got swept clean, though.

[FONT=lucida sans typewriter, lucida console, courier]PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND FORKS ND
120 PM CDT MON AUG 9 2010

..EF4 TORNADO DAMAGE IN WILKIN COUNTY CONFIRMED

ADDITIONAL SURVEYS BY NWS PERSONNEL HAVE DETERMINED THAT THE TORNADO
THAT OCCURRED NEAR DORAN IN WILKIN COUNTY MN ON AUGUST 7TH WAS A
LOW END EF4 WITH ESTIMATED PEAK WINDS OF 170 TO 175 MILES PER HOUR.
THE TOTAL PATH LENGTH WAS FIVE MILES AND MAXIMUM WIDTH AT 600
YARDS.
[/FONT]

Wow, EF4 tornado from what looked like (according to the SPC) a slight risk tornado day. Pretty impressive stuff. Does anyone have archived data from this day (upper air, sounds, cape, etc) or a link?

Here are the sfc obs from just before the storm formed, 84/72 just northeast of where it went up. The windfields indicate that it formed very close to sfc low:

sfc_msp_2010080722.gif

One thing I noticed while standing southeast of the tornado while it was occluding was how warm and dry the RFD was.

Back