8/24/06 DISC: SD/MN - Page 1 *rescued*

**rescued post**

JFarrer

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:10 am

Congrats to everyone who bagged, what a day!! Im curious if anybody has any GRLevel data on these storms?

Scott Olson

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:27 am

Leaving today at 2pm to go take some damage pictures. Anyone who witnessed the Cavour tornado want to try and estimate a location? Im pretty sure the intial tornado that formed 3 ESE of Wessington traveled all the way to 3-4 S of Huron. I was still on it then and if there was a tornado in Cavour it must have been a new circulation the north. About the same time the Cavour tornado was happening I was witnessing a possible anticyclonic tornado a little further south. I remember the next radar update showing a bit of an anticyclonic flare. Anyway, if you have any areas you think may have taken a hit by any of these tornadoes please pass them on via PM and I will do the best I can to get some pictures.

Thanks,
Scott Olson.

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:34 am

It was two south or maybe right on top of Cavour. Sheriff's report indicated damage in the town of cavour. I was seven miles south of it when it when through/by Cavour.

Just go into Cavour on Highway 14 and I bet you will find some damage. I believe my friend Kory Hartman is heading there over the lunch hour to take some pictures/video also.

I am editing video right now... should have something up soon.

Jayson Prentice

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:07 am

Here is a couple of radar grabs of GRAnalyist on the tornadic storm in MN, Thanks to Mike Gibson.

http://www.grlevelx.com/downloads/kmpx_20060824_2254_tube.png
http://www.grlevelx.com/downloads/kmpx_20060824_2258_tube.png

Storm Chasing & Iowa Weather <-- New Homepage!

Scott Olson
Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:12 am

ashleyallen wrote: It was two south or maybe right on top of Cavour. Sheriff's report indicated damage in the town of cavour. I was seven miles south of it when it when through/by Cavour.

Just go into Cavour on Highway 14 and I bet you will find some damage. I believe my friend Kory Hartman is heading there over the lunch hour to take some pictures/video also.

I am editing video right now... should have something up soon.

Thanks and it's great to see another SD chaser on here, from Madison no less. It's hard to find my breath looking at the video. Wolsey was absoltute chaos, the tornado was about a mile away and was about 1/4 getting larger. There was a fireman in the road yelling at the people that 'it was right there, last chance!". At the worst moment possible a train went through the middle of the city, I had to pack west (towards the tornado) in order to get safely in front of it. I was going to let CNN use my video but they wouldn't even give me a curtosity web plug but instead offered money (I could care less about money right now). The guy went into a spill about being a 24 hr news network and how they don't like doing curtosity plugs, I stopped listening. I should have told him it was footage of Jon Benet Ramsey or Gary Condit or OJ Simpson. Anyways im going to have it on KDLT (maybe national NBC) later. At times it reminded me of pictures of Spencer with striking resemblance. Which is ironic since Mike H and I had a conversation the night before about some similarities with the Spencer UL features.

Scott.

Aaron Kennedy

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:51 am

We observed the tornado due south of Cavour and perhaps a few miles east/west before it roped out. I think our report to NWS was ~2mi south of Cavour.

Aaron

Scott Olson
Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:18 pm

Quote: Congrats to all that scored - I sadly did not. We teamed up with Eric Whitehill and opted to go after things in MN and were too late. Full report and pictures at http://www.carpetempestas.com

8-24-06-13.JPG

Ed, I did a double take on the picture you posted. Are you sure you didn't score any rope tornadoes?

Edward Ballou

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:23 pm

I know, another person emailed me about it. I just can't do enough editing to see if I really got it or not. The reason I say it isn't one is because I had my window rolled up when I took the picture from inside the car. If you edit it enough, I believe you can make out a screw on the right side of the picture. There is some reflection going on.

I have a high res version at home...would anyone be willing to do some photoshopping on it to see if it really was one or not? PM me if you're willing..thanks!

The two (lower-res) pictures I grabbed:
8-24-06-12.JPG

8-24-06-13.JPG

Edward Ballou

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:08 pm

I checked the times, and it was taken at 6:45 pm east of Mankato, roughly between Mankato and Smiths Mill, maybe Janesville. It could have been before Eagle Lake though. The view is looking north.

We turned north when we met road construction and the road east was closed.

B Ozanne

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:26 pm

I'm not seeing anything that gives me a definitive answer either way.

Pro: It really looks like a tornado

Con: It doesn't seem to be coming from a tornado producing cloud
It is exactly the same shape in both photos (reflection?)

Hopefully somebody else can help out. For now I'd watch the reports and see if anything pops up in that area.

Edward Ballou

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm

A trained spotter reported a tornado by Waterville at 6:25. The clock on my camera was behind by an hour, but was right on for the minutes. Like I said already, I took those pictures at 6:45. I don't think I could have caught it 20 minutes later.

I also agree with Bill's point - it doesn't look like that was where a tornado would be. I was always concentrating on the feature to the left. The only way it could be something if there was a cell on the north side.

8/24/06 DISC: SD/MN *rescued* cont...

**rescued post continued..**

Brian Stertz

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:44 pm
Post subject: LeSueur Co. MN tornado rated a F3
Quote: ...DAMAGE SURVEY FROM LE SUEUR COUNTY...

A TEAM FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE THIS AFTERNOON HAS DETERMINED THE LARGE TORNADO THAT STRUCK PORTIONS OF LE SUEUR COUNTY YESTERDAY WAS AN F3 TORNADO...WITH WINDS BETWEEN 158 AND 206 MPH. THE CONTINUOUS TRACK OF THIS POWERFUL TORNADO WAS FROM JUST NORTHEAST OF KASOTA..TO FOUR MILES NORTHWEST OF WATERVILLE. AT THIS TIME IT IS UNKNOWN AS TO HOW MANY TWISTERS DROPPED FROM THE SKIES ACROSS SOUTHERN MINNESOTA ON THURSDAY. THE SURVEY TEAM HAS YET TO COMPLETE ITS FULL INVESTIGATION AND IS NOW HEADED INTO NICOLLET COUNTY TO ASSESS FURTHER DAMAGE.

I believe this big tornado also unfortunately killed an elderly man near Kasota

Scott Olson
148447035444ef88dad7c92.jpg

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:23 pm Post subject: Quote: THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SIOUX FALLS COMPLETED A GROUND
DAMAGE SURVEY OF THE LOCATIONS WITHIN BEADLE COUNTY THAT WERE AFFECTED BY TORNADOES ON AUGUST 24 2006. THE PURPOSE OF A GROUND DAMAGE SURVEY IS TO ASSESS THE MAGNITUDE AND THE EXTENT OF THE DAMAGE. THE ANSWERS TO THOSE QUESTIONS HELP DETERMINE THE STRENGTH OF THE TORNADOES AND DETERMINE A RATING...KNOWN AS THE FUJITA SCALE
RATING.

AS A RESULT OF THE SURVEY...IT WAS DETERMINED THAT FOUR TORNADOES
OCCURRED IN BEADLE COUNTY FROM 638 PM TO 740 PM CDT. A DAMAGE PATH EXTENDED FROM TWO MILES SOUTH OF WESSINGTON TO SEVEN MILES SOUTH OF CAVOUR. THE STRONGEST TORNADO OCCURRED SOUTH OF WOLSEY RESULTING IN TWO MINOR INJURIES AND CONSIDERABLE DEVASTATION TO NUMEROUS FARMSTEADS ALONG THE WAY. IT WAS DETERMINED THAT A F3 RATING ON THE FUJITA SCALE WAS APPROPRIATE FOR THIS TORNADO. A F3 RATING MEANS
THAT WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE TORNADO RANGED FROM 158 TO 206 MPH.

THE OTHER TORNADOES VARIED FROM A F0 (40 TO 74 MPH) RATING TO A F2
(113 TO 157 MPH) RATING.

It's not suprising the strongest damage was just south of Wolsey. Injuries, I wonder if it was one of the hundreds of Huron locals who were getting way to close. I saw one disappear into the thick dirt edge, not sure where he ended up. Another parked in the highway and was talking with his friend. These weren't chasers, just locals. This track sounds about right, except the Wosley tornado roped out and dissipated exactly along their path just south of Huron and directly over the highway. It must have re-formed pretty quickly, but I didn't see it re-form in the several minutes I still had a visual. Now 7S of Carvour is exactly where I saw the possible anticyclonic tornado, so definately two seperate tornadoes. Huron has to be South Dakotas 6-7 biggest city and would have suffered serious damage had the tornado hit, the worlds largest pheasant could have been destroyed.

Jeff Snyder

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:52 pm

The following is "moved" from another thread:

Brian Stertz wrote:
Quote: F3 TORNADO IN MCPHERSON COUNTY SOUTH DAKOTA LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON...

A STORM SURVEY CREW FROM THE ABERDEEN NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE HAS DETERMINED THAT THE STRONG TORNADO THAT MOVED ACROSS SOUTHWESTERN MCPHERSON COUNTY LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON WAS RATED F3 ON THE FUJITA TORNADO SCALE. F3 INTENSITY WINDSPEEDS RANGE FROM 158 TO 206 MPH.

THE TORNADO INITIALLY TOUCHED DOWN APPROXIMATELY 7 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF EUREKA (ON THE CAMPBELL COUNTY LINE) AT 503 PM CDT AND TRACKED NEARLY IN A STRAIGHT LINE SOUTHEAST TO 6 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HILLSVIEW AT 530 PM...ON THE GROUND ABOUT 27 MINUTES FOR 14 MILES. THE WIDTH OF THE TORNADO AT ITS WIDEST POINT WAS DETERMINED TO BE APPROXIMATELY 300 YARDS.

THE STORM DAMAGE TEAM EXAMINED 4 DIFFERENT DAMAGE SITES...WITH THE WORST DAMAGE RATED F3 8 MILES SOUTH OF EUREKA AND 2 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HILLSVIEW.

DAMAGE INCLUDED NUMEROUS POWER POLES SNAPPED OFF...TREES SHREDDED OF LEAVES...BARK AND/OR UPROOTED. NUMEROUS LIVESTOCK AND DEER WERE OBSERVED DEAD. DEVASTATING DAMAGE WAS OBSERVED TO FARM EQUIPMENT...HOMES...BARNS GRAIN BINS AND VEHICLES. A WELL ANCHORED MOBILE HOME WAS UPROOTED AND COMPLETELY DESTROYED. DEBRIS FROM EACH SITE WAS OBSERVED UP TO 3 MILES DOWNWIND.

NO DEATHS OCCURRED FROM THE STRONG TORNADO...AND ONLY 1 PERSON WAS INJURED DUE TO SCRAPES AND BRUISES.

AN ADDITIONAL STATEMENT CONCERNING THE STRONG TORNADO IN
SULLY...HAND AND HYDE COUNTIES WILL BE ISSUED WHEN THE ABERDEEN STORM SURVEY TEAM HAS COMPLETED COMPILING THE DAMAGE INFORMATION.

More surveys to come from ABR/FSD/MPX but up to three F3 tornadoes so far for the 8/24 event. This was the most significant tornado event since the April 7th tornado event that struck Middle Tennessee.
http://www.tornadocentral.com

Aaron Kennedy

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:36 am

It'll be awhile before I get most of my pics done, but I wanted to give a small teaser. This is a rope (possible the AC tornado Scott mentioned) that developed on the right rear flank of the storm around 7:18 pm. Somewhere in the abyss is one of the larger tornadoes. We finally caught a glimpse of the wedge about 10 min later. Couldn't confirm direction of rotation, unfortunately.

pano.jpg

Aaron

**rescued post continued..**

rdale

Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:43 am

107kts GtG near Wessington - image just two scans later had 127kts!

http://radioweather.us/abr.png

Scott Olson

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:05 am

Aftermath of 8-24 Huron Tornadoes. I documented damage yesterday 8-26-06. This was done in a sensitive fashion where homesteads were either photographed from a distance or photographed with the permission of the owner.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Hundreds of pieces of metal siding seen along the path of both the Wolsey & Carvour tornadoes.

http://www.axisofnature.com/1/2/5.jpg

http://www.axisofnature.com/1/2/6.jpg

Much more pictures & locations at my blog:
www.axisofnature.com/WordPress/index.php

**rescued post cont...**

Bill Doms

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:04 pm

WARNING...this page is a beast to load but I wanted to keep the detail intact.

http://www.mnwxchaser.com/06aug24damage.html

060824nicolletdamage001b.jpg

Brian Stertz

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:13 pm

Quote: ...AERIAL SURVEY CONFIRMS TWO LONG-TRACK TORNADOES CROSSED BEADLE COUNTY SOUTH DAKOTA ON THURSDAY EVENING AUGUST 24, 2006...

SEVERE WEATHER ERUPTED ACROSS PORTIONS OF EAST CENTRAL SOUTH DAKOTA DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS OF AUGUST 24, 2006. THE SEVERE STORMS TOOK AIM ON BEADLE COUNTY WITH AT LEAST THREE TORNADOES...TWO TORNADOES DOING CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE TO NUMEROUS FARMSTEADS, POWER LINES, AND CROPS ACROSS THE COUNTY. FURTHER EAST...THE SAME STORM SYSTEM PRODUCED ANOTHER TORNADO TOUCHDOWN IN
SOUTHWEST KINGSBURY COUNTY...BUT LITTLE OR NO DAMAGE WAS DOCUMENTED WITH THE KINGSBURY COUNTY TOUCHDOWN. ONLY THREE MINOR INJURIES WERE REPORTED IN BEADLE AND KINGSBURY COUNTIES AS A RESULT OF THESE TORNADOES.

FOLLOWING THE STORM...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SIOUX FALLS CONDUCTED AN ONSITE GROUND SURVEY OF DAMAGE ON FRIDAY AUGUST 25...FOLLOWED BY AN AERIAL SURVEY THE NEXT DAY. THESE SURVEYS HELPED DEFINE THE TORNADO PATHS AND ASSIGN A TORNADO STRENGTH RATING...KNOWN AS THE FUJITA SCALE RATING...WHICH VARIES FROM F0 OR LIGHT TORNADO DAMAGE...TO F5 WHICH IS ASSIGNED FOR INCREDIBLE DAMAGE.

THE FIRST BEADLE COUNTY TORNADO ORIGINALLY TOUCHED DOWN IN HAND COUNTY...ABOUT 5 MILES WEST OF WESSINGTON. THIS TORNADO ENTERED BEADLE COUNTY AT APPROXIMATELY 637 PM....
JUST SOUTH OF WESSINGTON...DOING F2 (113-157 MPH) DAMAGE TO A FARMSTEAD 2 MILES SOUTHEAST OF WESSINGTON. THE AERIAL SURVEY CONFIRMED THIS TO BE A LONG TRACK TORNADO OF APPROXIMATELY 24.5 MILES LONG...FINALLY LIFTING 3.5 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HURON AT 718 PM. THIS TORNADO WAS ON THE GROUND FOR A TOTAL OF 50 INUTES...INCLUDING THE TIME ON THE GROUND IN HAND COUNTY. SPORADIC DAMAGE OCCURRED ALONG THE PATH OF
THE TORNADO...INCLUDING MORE F2 DAMAGE TO FIVE LARGE METAL TRUSS HIGH VOLTAGE TRANSMISSION TOWERS 7 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF WOLSEY. HOWEVER...THE TORNADO REACHED ITS PEAK INTENSITY 2 MILES SOUTH OF WOLSEY...WHERE F3 (158-206 MPH) DAMAGE OCCURRED. WINDS IN THIS AREA WERE ESTIMATED TO BE AROUND 200 MPH...WITH THE TORNADO 400 TO 500 YARDS WIDE. THIS TORNADO FINALLY LIFTED SOUTHWEST OF HURON...BUT
THEN THE SUPERCELL THUNDERSTORM BEGAN STRENGTHENING AGAIN AS IT CONTINUED EAST...PASSING ABOUT 1.5 MILES SOUTH OF HURON. THE SAME SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WENT ON TO GENERATE A SECOND LONG TRACK TORNADO OF 7 MILES...STRETCHING FROM AROUND 3 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HURON TO 10 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HURON. THIS TORNADO WAS ON THE GROUND FOR APPROXIMATELY 22 MINUTES...FROM 718 PM TO 740 PM...AND AT ONE POINT
WAS AROUND 300 YARDS WIDE...PRODUCING ANOTHER SWATH OF F2 STORM DAMAGE SEVEN MILES SOUTH OF CAVOUR. WHILE THIS SECOND BEADLE COUNTY TORNADO WAS ON THE GROUND...A THIRD SMALL ROPE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN 1.5 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF HURON AT APPROXIMATELY 723 PM. THE KINGSBURY COUNTY TORNADO...PRODUCING LITTLE OR NO DAMAGE...TOUCHED
DOWN AT APPROXIMATELY 756 PM AND WILL BE RATED AN F0.

A TORNADO TRACK MAP...DAMAGE PICTURES AND ASSOCIATED RADAR IMAGES WILL BE POSTED ON THE NWS SIOUX FALLS WEB PAGE AT
WWW.WEATHER.GOV/SIOUX FALLS.

The latest update from NWS FSD on the Hand/Beadle Co. F3 tornado. More on this cyclic tornadic supercell can be found at:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fsd/?n=tor2006aug24

Scott Olson

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:59 pm

Wessington tornado & Wolsey got combined. I guess that's not to suprising since there was only 5 minutes between them. They also isolated the Wolsey tornado into a seperate tornado near the highway (though it really was the Wolsey roping out.) The damage went all the way to the highway, it was just really hard to find. One such road was blocked and had barb wire on it, followed down there was a pasture with cows and snapped trees. Most the cows were still alive (only one clearly appeared to be dead).

Okay Tornado 3, that I found easy. But, the damage area appeared way to large to be the possible AC tornado.

"The Kingsbury County tornado…producing little or no damage…touched down at approximately 756 pm and will be rated an F0."

I don't think the right flank tornado occured in Kingsbury. That's over towards Iroqouis. They couldn't find any damage near Carvour (neither could I). Also that would be about ten minutes off (though I wouldn't expect them to get the EXACT time). So, perhaps there were three tornadoes in this general timespan, one near Carvour that was large but weak. A second that the NWS noted and the third which is the possible AC tornado. Or even more likely there was two, the one that was just 2 S of Carvour was actually around 5 SW of Carvour. With the second weak AC tornado in the same timespan.

I should note, I did find a 1 mile track, 1 mile south of where they have tornado #3. This had a very small damage swath and consisted on four power poles bent or manipulated in some fashion. The power cables were wrapped around barb wire and there was also a shirt woven into the barb wire.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:48 pm

Looks like I need to send an email to the office... (we assisted ABR with some tornadoes near Miller).

Here's the rope tornado:
http://www.ontheplains.com/pano.jpg

And here's our approx. position:
ropenado.jpg

The tornado was pretty ropey so that small area of cycloni shear just to the NE may be the rotation aloft. Dunno. Not sure how that tornado spun up... it was away from the main area of action... and after looking at it more, I don't *think* it was anticyclonic.

Aaron

Scott Olson

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:14 am

Aaron Kennedy wrote: Looks like I need to send an email to the office... (we assisted ABR with some tornadoes near Miller).

Here's the rope tornado:
http://www.ontheplains.com/pano.jpg

The tornado was pretty ropey so that small area of cycloni shear just to the NE may be the rotation aloft. Dunno. Not sure how that tornado spun up... it was away from the main area of action... and after looking at it more, I don't *think* it was anticyclonic.

Aaron

I was about 5 S of Huron watching the larger rope which im pretty sure was Wolsey. I thought you had witnessed the tornado about SE of Huron. Dissipated around 748. Now I don't think they were the same tornado but im suprised at the location you indicated, since it's very close to where I was.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:28 pm

Maybe my depth perception is that bad?? It sure looked closer than being out by Wosley. I'm not sure... it looks like same tornado at tiems when compared to yours and especially: http://www.tornadohead.com/082406chase.htm
He has it near Huron... perhaps I was farther east.

EDIT: Ok after thinking about it and staring at pictures for way too long, I think our position was a few miles off. We must of been a mile or so east of HW 27. This would gel with the other reports, and match up with the FSD report, although the tornado time was a few minutes off.

Aaron

**rescued post cont..**

Scott Olson

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:53 pm

Aaron Kennedy wrote: Maybe my depth perception is that bad?? It sure looked closer than being out by Wosley. I'm not sure... it looks like same tornado at tiems when compared to yours and especially: http://www.tornadohead.com/082406chase.htm
He has it near Huron... perhaps I was farther east.

EDIT: Ok after thinking about it and staring at pictures for way too long, I think our position was a few miles off. We must of been a mile or so east of HW 27. This would gel with the other reports, and match up with the FSD report, although the tornado time was a few minutes off.

Aaron

LOL. I didn't mean by Wosley but meant the Wosley tornado. Maybe thats not the case, but I had seen the tube about 2 minutes prior and then two minutes later once I got visibility the rope started nearing the highway. I saw another tornado located on the red line: I think this was the source of confusion, since I thought your photographs were of this tornado. The tornado S of Huron was quite photogenic too! Lucky it dissipated right before going over the highway. Anyways, here is where I saw the tornado I thought was AC. I would say it could be the Carvour wedge roping out but it was on the backside of the storm. At least it appeared to be, I know I was at that point.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/5148/tornadoeswo0.jpg

Picture of that tornado:
DSC01643.JPG

(inserted red line)

Aaron Kennedy

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:35 pm

Actually that IS the rope out of the Cavour wedge. S of Cavour we were finally able to view that tornado till its demise NW of Carthage. Eventually the meso above (clouds) starting evaporating and the tornado took a thin tube then rope like appearence before finally dissipating.

Aaron

Scott Olson

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:38 pm

Aaron Kennedy wrote: Actually that IS the rope out of the Cavour wedge. S of Cavour we were finally able to view that tornado till its demise NW of Carthage. Eventually the meso above (clouds) starting evaporating and the tornado took a thin tube then rope like appearence before finally dissipating.

Aaron

I thought it might be after looking at your pictures. I guess it was just really good visibility.

Scott Currens

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:58 pm

I am surprised no one has posted anything from the McPherson County (northern SD) tornadic supercell. It produced several tornadoes one being rated F3.

If anyone comes across images form this storm please post a link here.

Scott Currens
www.violentplains.com

Back