7/15/04 FCST: Northern/Central Plains

Dan Robinson

Thread started by request. SPC Day 2 hints at supercell potential in Nebraska and South Dakota.

Nebraska tomorrow

As an addendeum, looking at that data now, it appears that I must have been looking at old data when making the comments below. (Possibly the 0Z run from yesterday?!) Glitch at the site. That's my guess, anyhow, as the meso ETA is still running yesterday's data. Lesson learned the hard way! The real hodos/SkewT's for North Platte tomorrow don't look anywhere near as interesting as the apparently did for today on the Wed 0Z run....)

Interesting ETA Skew-T for North Platte at 21Z tomorrow for ye Nebraska chasers:

http://www.wxcaster.com/modelskewt.php3?mo...&STATIONID=KLBF

And the 0Z:

http://www.wxcaster.com/modelskewt.php3?mo...&STATIONID=KLBF

Right at the edge of the cap, good instability. Good dry pocket in
the mid levels. Low level jet is wimpy and the low level shear is
kinda weak, but the mid levels make up for it a bit. It's enough
right now for me to make the drive, anyway.

I'm still green at forecasting, so if I'm totally off the mark, please
tell me. :) Lord knows I don't love to spend money on bust gasoline.

-Ryan

0600 Day 1 mentions possibility of tornadoes in parts of Nebraska and Kansas.

I think it is going to depend on the small group of storms coming out of South Dakota. We may be relying on the outflow boundary from this group. Dew points are close to 70 here in Manhattan, and I'd imagine we won't have a hard time getting the warming we need, lol. We're getting the usual "large hail and damaging winds" speech from TOP in the morning outlook.

Tim

Looking at the ETA model it seems that there will be plenty of energy there with outputs of 4500 kg/J hanging over east central Nebraska.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/model/eta2...hr_sfc_cape.gif

The dewpoints also make me feel better with 60s over Nebraska. Who knows, I might be able to get one more in. High temp for Lincoln and Omaha are around 88 degrees so heating wont be an issue. I'm hoping for a local chase today since money is short and i have no car of my own right now. Hoping everything comes together.

Flooding chances today along the front range. NWS-Boulder has/will issue a Flood Watch effective from 3pm this afternoon til midnight tonight. Ample moisture along with little wind to push storms will create a potentially hazardous weather situation for flooding along the front range foothills. The threat of severe weather is there, but very low. Little wind shear will hinder any significant severe weather, although a wet microburst and some small hail is possible.

Gut is telling me to get nw soon, and to get west of that stuff along those n-s boundaries. That one ahead of the front looks oh so perfect. I only hope the stuff in se SD dies quickly. I don't see that stuff being any show later but who knows I guess. I was not thinking I'd have to go this far today but the O'neill area looks sort of like the spot right now to me.

I hate that western cell in se SD....it's acting a bit goofy wanting to backbuild west. Ignoring closer stuff becuase it's closer often pays off, because it's too easy to sit here and see what it does. So, O'Neill it is.

God this looks somewhat familar to Monday, cept mid-level flow is nw and not w. That boundary that storm road looks like it's there again in the same spot. I mean this is VERY similar... http://www.spc.ncep.noaa.gov/exper/mesoana...sis/s2/mcon.gif I looked at stuff around noon Monday and by noon this should almost be identical to what it was Monday.

Ok, that cell east of Lake Andes is really bugging me now. It *might* be wisest to target this stuff now, and then if it's not going crazy just let it go because no matter what it does there should be new development to it's west later. Starting to think this could be a very early show and a later one too!

I don’t think you will need to go as far as O’Neill. Norfolk may be far enough. The cells in SE SD seem to be strengthening. The cell just NW of Yankton is now heading south. If it can separate from the garbage that’s heading into IA, then it may have a chance to sustain itself as it moves into NE. There is a distinct NW to SE flow across NE when looking at the Water Vapor images http://weather.cod.edu/analysis/satrad.regional.html If those cells do die out, then I would look for new initiation in the Norfolk – O’Neil area and then tracking SSE.

That said, I’m sure to kill this and the mess headed into IA will turn into a 100 yr storm.

Leaving now to go somewhere sw of Norfolk to catch whatever that western stuff does. I think the real show will be after that furhter west south of O'Neill or maybe even sw of O'Neill.

Hmm... looks to me like all of the stuff this morning is elevated - and will remain so for most of the day if it survives that long (convective temp for OMA sounding 98F). I'd be more excited about the western edge of the outflow, where it is currently sunny with SE winds at the surface, with warmer SW flow on the SW side of the boundary. Maybe the remnants of this feature is around Huron to Aberdeen late today. That's the area I'd probably gun for - but maybe nc NE gets it done.

Glen

Today's Forecast

OK... I hardly ever post here, and I NEVER do my own forecast (I'm better as a storm reporter), BUT... it looks to me like we'll have 2 areas to watch today.

1: Eastern NE
2: Eastern SD/Western MN

atmosphere is already recovering here in Mitchell... 78 over 67...

I don't know if I'm reading the RUC soundings right, but looking at the progs it looks like SE SD is a good place to start. The 0Z sounding's 18 and 24 hrs are all calling for good energy and that stuff, but (this is th epart i'm not sure about) it looks like there may be a pretty good cap in place (if that's what the red means on the CINH page), and it shows that weakening on the 24 hr prog. If I'm reading it right, looks like the best tornadic probabilities will be in E NE today.

Please feel free to tell me what's wrong with this prediction.

Kyle, I'm in agreement with you.. Blake, if you're out there, may go play in Western Iowa as well! :) Won't be out chasing today, just hoping for one of these flooding rains to form overhead and give me something to deliver in this evening! We'll see! Good luck to all out there! :)

Back