7/12/2004 NOW: Northern Plains / USA

Panning up with BREF and overlaying VIL it now seems that the storm is splitting. Both the west and the east core look extremely formidible, and the east core has a very large gate to gate.

standing on my back deck to a view of some seriously sweet mammatus.. have the vid cam on it now and taking pics with the sunset.. SWEEET

Outflow boundary

There's a outflow boundary trailing the NE supercell, which now located SE of Burwell and E of Broken Bow. This outflow seems to be interfering with the other boundary the super cell has been feeding on all evening. Latest radar images seems to indicate its turning into a elongated cell, perhaps on its way to a bow echo.

Looks like a new TORN watch box has been set up for Central and Southern NE. And sunset has occurred at 08:57 p.m. CDT. Lets see what happens here...

50a3577168f3787cbb97b65896a05649.gif

this thing is gonna blow up right over to Omaha.. Randy is on his way over and we are gonna go for there.. may be a night chase but its better than nothing and the structure on this thing is SICK <happy dance>

10 miles SSE of brookings, SD, seeing a strong mesocyclone, can anyone help me confirm this? (I'm still new at this). Lots of lightning, most CC, some CG

See Mel Dance

Here's a Happy Dance for Mel:

ee8d516ef43bf4a9062e12156fa0cc07.gif[Automated by GetSmile]

10 miles SSE of brookings, SD, seeing a strong mesocyclone, can anyone help me confirm this? (I'm still new at this). Lots of lightning, most CC, some CG

It's possible that's what you're seeing, Ballou; I can't see much in the way of rotation on FSD's velocities, but there appears to be a small hook echo on the northwest segment of the southern cell. It looks like a young cell; you're probably in for quite a ride. Stay safe.

Actually, now that I've refreshed it Ballou, there appears to be an area of tight rotation right on top of the hook echo on the storm you are chasing. It's not very dramatic, but if you can visually see what you believe is a meso, that probably makes sense.

Just got back from a bust in western WV. My brother Matt in Raleigh, NC experienced a severe storm with insane winds of at least 50 MPH. His video is on TWC this evening.

Hall County now has a tornado warning, the city of Grand Island is located in the county; until 1015 pm CDT.In addition to the tornado, this storm is capable of producing baseball to softball size and destructive straight line winds up to 90 mph.

Also Howard and Sherman County are under a Tornado Warning

Also earlier:
0730 PM 8 W Barlett in Wheeler County: TOrnado
3 injured; Tornado destroyed farmstead.

0740 PM 18 E Burwell in Garfield County: 4.25 inch hail
Softball size hail knock out windows.

0900 PM Greeley in Greely County: Tstm Wnd Dmg
Pivots blown over, grain bin blown inward, and roofs
blown off of airport hangars. Time estimated.

Latest radar animations:
http://mgweather.com/rad_0712_24lnx_ani_ani.gif
http://mgweather.com/rad_0712_08uex_ani_ani.gif

Edit: Hall County Tornado Warning has been cancelled.

Mike

West-most cell (the cell in western Sherman county, Nebraska) now exhibits hook echo in sw quad of storm. Don't see a meso on velocities yet. The VIL is off the chart solid for at least 15 miles.

Back