7/12/2004 NOW: Northern Plains / USA

I am sick to my stomache.. I didnt think this thing would hold together..

<I'm gonna go cry now>

I feel your pain Melissa. Is it me or is this supercell a monster?
Randy Chamberlain and I just had a long discussion on if we should go out after it or not. I am so sick to my stomache watching this thing on radar. I'd be long gone if it hadnt turned south with only 1.5 hours of good daylight left. Even at 15mph its not catchable.

I thought this would die as did a few others in this area but nooooooooo.... MikeH brings back sick pics of a sweet structure and/or a tor and I am going to hate myself for a long time for not going after this one... (and we all know Mike is gonna bring back sweeeeet pics)

Boundary feeding

That NE supercell is still heading south, 25 miles east of Burwell, and still holding its shape, size and speed. From the North Platte radar you can easily see how its feeding on a boundary as it heads south. That boundary extends SW past Broken Bow and all the way to North Platte. However, the boundary appears to be shrinking due to the supercell's feeding. Much like a fat robin slurping a thin worm up.

We will see what happens at sunset, which will come at 8:57 p.m. CDT.

ca48dbdf4f06881a44b09fa06c887250.gif

If it holds together, it appears it may head for Grand Island.

And yes, we know Mike will have some great pics.

Sweet mother of God, would you look at the VIL on that thing? Solid 75+ spike for like 20 miles! Hope Mike has the Mustang insured! :shock:

-Ryan

Sweet mother of God, would you look at the VIL on that thing? Solid 75+dbz for like 20 miles! Hope Mike has the Mustang insured! :shock:

-Ryan
Mike is in Ord NE and reports 2 tornadoes so far including one wedge... <sobbing>

Heh. Glad I checked the wx sites -- I saw some cirrus tops blowing over Lincoln here and wondered what was going on. I would have never imagined those cirrus came from Ord. This storm reminds me on radar of the monster out by Aurora last year that dropped the world record hail ball. Were it not for the Hallam monster, I'd say this is an easy shoe-in for best Nebraskan storm this year. I guess those who made it out to see the storm will let us know how it fared.

-Ryan

Cloud Tops Reaching Lincoln NE

Just looked out of my bedroom window in Lincoln NE and I see the leading edge of the cloud tops from that NE supercell. It's spreading out from the supercell like a giant aircraft carrier flatop. I can see on the GOES-12 VIS SAT that its spreading NE into Iowa and Minnesota.

On another subject...I picked the same day that a supercell would come thru NE to get my left index finger cut by a hedge trimmer. It cut right thru my cotton glove and left a nice laceration. I had to drive myself to a local care treatment facility. I got four stiches in my finger now and it hurts like H-E-L-L! May have to take a couple of days off work as computer operations involves a lot of hands-on work. A little difficult typing without that index dinferer...you can see what I mean.

402d4deb480b4b581b676c4745ca3d06.gif

Looks like it's finally lighting up the rest of the boundary into an MCS. Except, of course, it's still showing a good meso on velocity. It's scary that that thing is still technically a supercell. It's about 60 miles wide.

-Ryan

Just got back, We were going after the severe thunderstorm near worthington, MN then turned around half way because it seemed like it was dying out which it did............now that were back I checked the radar and noticed some severe storms in the extreme eastern part of South Dakota.......... We might head out again if gets a little closer since my dad has to work tomorrow.

aada0bc6b9a86b9ce5fabfc33129cc04._.gif

Tornado Vortex Sig.

Back