6/15/2009 NOW CO/KS/OK/NE

There is considerable damage in the Hutchinson-Reno Co. area with electrical transmission lines down and semi's blown over. At least one business has lost its roof.

TOR warned cell developing a nice hook west of Pierre, SD.

EDIT: Confirmed tornado 2 miles SE of Hayes, SD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I cant put the link up because I am on my mobile phone. A Mesonet in Manhattan reported a wind gust of 125 mph at 20:03 and a 80 mph wind gust at 20:13. This was reported on the weathrunderground website. I am hearing reports of good sized trees down all around town and Power out on the west side. I live 4 blocks east of the mesonet and while those winds seem a litte high than what I observed there is no doubt that winds at least 70 mph rolle through about that time.

Jason Haller said:
]A Mesonet in Manhattan reported a wind gust of 125 mph at 20:03

[SIZE=-1]SPECI KMHK 160059Z 23033G51KT 1 1/2SM +TSRA SQ FEW007 BKN043 OVC090 27/23 A2981 RMK AO2 PK WND 23051/0059 LTG DSNT ALQDS PRESRR P0015
SPECI KMHK 160103Z 22045G59KT 1/4SM +TSRA FG SQ SCT004 BKN043 OVC080 23/21 A2984 RMK AO2 PK WND 21059/0103 LTG DSNT ALQDS PRESRR P0060
SPECI KMHK 160112Z VRB04G59KT 1/4SM +TSRA FG BKN002 BKN011 OVC043 19/18 A2983 RMK AO2 PK WND 21059/0103 LTG DSNT ALQDS P0136[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]

The peak wind at the ASOS location was 59 kts; interestingly, MHK picked up 1.36" of rain in 20 minutes (0052-0112 UTC). Was the observation site that reported 125 mph a private weather station? I wonder if it was getting some aerodynamic enhancement owing to it's mounting location (e.g. Bernoulli enhancement over a roof, etc). 125 mph is a doozy of an ob, and I would expect severe damage (roof removals, etc) in areas that experienced such winds. I'm not saying that the 125 mph ob was bogus, as it, apparently, was not necessarily near the location of the ASOS site.

Impressive velocities on the bowing line in eastern KS moving into western MO. There are occassional leading-line QLCS-type areas of strong rotation too.
[/SIZE]

Well I followed the storm from the warned cell at Florence to home to find massive amounts of damage county wide. There are stretches of power poles snapped off and lots of trees broken and snapped. I will post more in a bit in the reports thread when I get time. Gotta see if I can help get the trees off of the neighbors cars....

Can anyone confirm a tornado in Cass County, Missouri? Based on GR3 it looks promising and I have relatives all through the area.

Jeff, saw your comment about leading edge rotation and agree. That is one heck of a bow as it pushes east through Cass County.

TOR warned cell developing a nice hook west of Pierre, SD.

EDIT: Confirmed tornado 2 miles SE of Hayes, SD.

i've been watching that cell, except ironically for the last 45 min to an hour and it has had some odd, random storm motions! this was the same cell that was basically stationary for well over an hour up in north central south dakota west of the missouri river. then it started moving southeast, and then south for a while and now its moving east/northeast as it is weakening pretty rapidly:confused:

in fact if you look at the digital total rainfall on grlevel3 it clearly shows the path of the storm. where it sat, radar is estimating nearly 11" of rain!!

Hey Greg,

The NWS said they had a report of one 9 miles south of Louisburg, ks. I live in Louisburg and was at home when this storm hit. WOW! I was yelling out to my neighbor everything was going to be ok and the wind picked up to the point that my storm door wouldnt close and it took all my strength to keep it from taking it off the hinges for about 3 minutes. I was scared, no joke. I know that wind was 60+. Nasty.

non-warned storms moving through Douglas county now. Saw a nice structured shelf cloud about 15 minutes ago.

My God. The entire cluster based on satellite had an unbelievable bowing out structure. No doubt many are w/out pwr...and by the way that thing looks I'll bet people would be happy w/ that. What a dangerous squall line!

Is anyone else watching this bow over Emporia/Eureka, KS? It has a evil cyclonic twist still showing on the radar loop starting at 3:10AM CST. It should be hitting Ottowa here any minute.

edit: Sorry forgot it was the 16th now so this should be a nowcast for the 16th.

Back