6/15/2009 NOW CO/KS/OK/NE

south of kinsley kansas. right now. winds at least 90 mph. watching horse traliors roll like tumble weeds!!! edit 5 54pm. possible tornado. extensive damage! houses hit barns destroyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wichita radar is lagging. Vance AFB is a good backup for both Wichita and Dodge. However Dodge appears to be updating and those cells are incredible! Vance might come in handy when the second super gets right over the DDC radar. As for Wichita, Butler County now warned. That Butler storm is on a boundary.

Follow up: Cell eventually produced the tornado near El Dorado.

By satellite looks like a couple more agitated Cu popping in Sumner and Cowley Counties south of Wichita. Nothing on radar as of 4:45 pm CDT though. Another feature to note stretches toward Hutch. Fine line on VIS sat could be some sort of gravity wave.

Meanwhile Haviland profiler showing two good signs for those too far east of Dodge. Jet level winds are increasing. 850 level winds are backing, but not strong. Still plenty of hope towards Wichita.

Something came out of it and is now SVR-warned. Looks like the dynamics of the approaching storm cluster from the west finally made it kickoff time, but I hope that the cluster doesn't interfere with the potential this storm has (so long as it stays away from populated areas, of course, and it looks to be over one such area - Andover - right now).

Tornado watch closer to Kansas City NOW until 12 pm

Tornado watch was just posted for counties West and nearer to Kansas City until 12am

Just what I was hoping for as I had doctor's appointment I had to keep at 2:15 and I was not interested in escaping past Topeka or Wichita (again)

Best chance is south of Emporia so I will head down I-35 most likely soon

Keeping watch towards grand Island.If required m off.Any suggestions?

Large tornado in progress right now west of St. John, KS.

Looks like things might be transitioning towards more of a bow echo / mcs with that cluster now, though. We'll see how it plays out in the next half hour.

Just broke the windshield west of Strafford KS in probably tennis balls. What sucks is we noticed it and had just started slowing down when it smashed the bottom of the windshield. One hit the roof so hard it turned on one of the reading lights in the front of the car.

It appears ICT Radar has gone down. Never happens at the best time does it.

NOUS63 KICT 152356
FTMICT
Message Date: Jun 15 2009 23:56:57

APPARENTLY THE MOTOR HAS FAILED ON THE KICT RADAR. THE RADAR WILL BE DOWN UNTIL
FURTHER NOTICE.

Disturbing hook echo with mid-level rotation entering southwest Sedgwick County, KS on the Vance radar. Hope cells on either side of it disrupt the supercell because it is approaching the greater Wichita area. On the other hand, the right turn could keep it south of town if rotation works down to the low levels. Let us hope Wichita is safe either way things unfold.

Update: Cell weakened in the last 20 min. KFDI reports dime to marble hail, well below the golfballs that would be more alarming. Storm is still definitely severe, but torn threat has tapered off.

Disturbing hook echo with mid-level rotation entering southwest Sedgwick County, KS on the Vance radar. Hope cells on either side of it disrupt the supercell because it is approaching the greater Wichita area. On the other hand, the right turn could keep it south of town if rotation works down to the low levels. Let us hope Wichita is safe either way things unfold.

Am I seeing a couplet on the velocity view? Wish ICT was up right now.

I'm pretty sure the ICT radar is back in action. I have been watching it both on GRLevel3 and also on wonderground.com. There is a definite break in time for some missing scans on the wonderground site.

Police & fire chatter is incredibly busy in Segwick Cty, KS. Storm damage reported in all areas of the county. Go to www.scanamerica.com to listen as the convection moves toward MO. A very busy night tonight.

Back