5/5/06 REPORTS: TX

CLICK HERE TO VIEW COMPLETE MAY 5, 2006 STORM CHASE LOG

Its 2:05am CDT (1:05am MDT), and in less than 4 hours will be 24 hours since I aoke up this morning. While I cannot say for certain what my mileage came out to be due to the fact I was chasing out of two vehicles over this chase, it must've ended up close to 900 which lead me here to Midland.

I left Denver this morning at about 5:30a and made great time and gas mileage into Amarillo where I filled up my 3/4 tank after over 400 miles of travel. I then continued south through Lubbock where I was aiming to make Midland. However, storms firing in New Mexico had me thinking heading that far south wasn't needed. I elected to turn west into Andrews where I met with Jason Boggs and shot the breeze with him til we elected to head north to Seminole to intercept the storm coming out of Hobbs.

What happened next is by far the most incredible chasing experience of my life to date. The storm was heading east/northeast at this point just north of the highway. When I got into town, I met with Amos M, Eric N, and Scott E and we headed west out of town. We elected then to get northwest of Seminole to get a closer view of the storm.

The storm suddenly made a violent and quick turn almost due southeast. Hail began to fall; marbles at first, then growing to quarters, then golfballs. Eric and Amos (in Amos's truck) headed back southeast into town while Scott E and I hung back. Things looked like they were lightening up a bit. All of a sudden, a few baseballs started coming down. We were going to head back in to town when we heard Eric and Amos over the radio advising us NOT to head south cause the hail was bigger.

We then elected to stay put; the stones weren't falling too furiously, so it looked as if the storm had wrapped itself around us and we were going to be spared. *Insert a long incorrect buzzer here* More stones began to fall, then hell rained upon us in the form of 3 and 4 inch diameter stones. My vehicle didn't stand a chance; the back windshield exploded as I was filming (camera away). I ironically enough had just began to say how thankful I was to get the damage waiver on the rental when the back windshield exploded.

We then tried to find cover as the back windshield continued to crash in. The sunroof never stood a chance and was beaten to a pulp as well. The windshield held its own, but soon became a shattered, spidery mess. Scott and I found shelter along side an aluminum building northwest of town and rode out the rest of the storm from there. His car suffered numerous big dents and a cracked windshield. I lost the back windshield, sunroof, and severely damaged front windshield.

We left my car at the police station and I jumped in with Scott for the remainder of the chase. We eventually intercepted the tornado southeast of Patricia, but were looking in toward the meso from the north and had poor contrast. None-the-less, it was the first tornado of the season for me.

We stayed with it for another hour before returning to Seminole to pick up my car and drove it back to Midland where we have crashed for the night.

Without a doubt, this was the most exciting chase I've had all year, and probably one of the top chases of my career to date. I'm a hail lover, and I got my money's worth out of today's storm. Unfortunately, I was caught off guard and paid the price (I got the damage waiver, so no worries). What an incredible storm!

060505a.jpg

Low constrast tornado southeast of Patricia

060505c.jpg

SMASH! Video still of a giant stone smashing my front windshield glass

060505u.jpg

Baseball sized hail before the car got trashed. It got bigger than this!

060505j.jpg

What was left of the back windshield after the storm finally moved on.

Video of hail retreat when windshield took its shots. Make sure sound is on for full effect.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW COMPLETE MAY 5, 2006 STORM CHASE LOG

I was unable to chase on this one due to work, but Walt headed out for the initial target of Midland, TX and I did the nowcasting. Posting these on his behalf. Walt picked up on the storm near Hobbs, NM and followed it until dark. Scored a tornado SE of Patricia and a nicely cracked windshield east of Seminole ;). Here follow a couple of pix:

Gene Thieszen
WXtreme Chase Team

Tornado at about 8:05 pm
[attachmentid=253]

Tornado and Structure
[attachmentid=254]

Cracked Windshield
[attachmentid=255]

Departed Austin, TX at ~2:00 p.m. (CDT) for a solo chase. I arrived in Big Spring, TX around 7:30 with a big anvil visible to my NW. Got a quick radar grab at a wifi hotel, and saw two supercells, one near Seminole and another SE of the first that would produce the Patricia, TX tornado. The reflectivity field showed a curly-Q hook echo on the Patricia supercell, and a tornado warning was issued.

I drove NW from Big Spring on Hwy 87, and then cut West on road 828. I was too far north, and at a poor angle by this time. I could see part of the monster wall cloud, but precip obscured most of the view. I turned south on State Hwy 137.

I immediately began to get small hail. I raced south, and the hail got slightly larger as the Eastern edge of the core went over the road. I took a few small hail dings, but most of the hail was probaby quarter-sized or less. I am thankful I wasn't caught in the bigger stuff, and all my vehicle glass stayed in tact.

At 8:12, a tall rope tornado came into view to my immediate west. This is the same tornado Tyler, Tony L, and several others witnessed. I was still getting hail, and filmed as best I could out the side window while navigating the ice-covered road. The tornado was wrapping rain and hail northward towards my vehicle as I continued south out of its path and the hail. The tornado appeared to rope out about 90 seconds after I first saw it.

5May2006_tor1.jpg

5May2006_tor3.jpg

After the tornado, I finally found a place to stop and filmed the incredible wall cloud as it drifted eastward. Drove all the way back to Austin, with a wonderful light show to keep me entertained.

5May2006_wall1.jpg

Chase distance: 730 miles
Time: 14 hours
Quarts of Oil consumed by Saturn: 1.5

TonyC

2006may5fTor3grab2adjust.jpg

Tornado southeast of Patricia, Texas ~0114z

2006may5eTor2grab3adjust.jpg

Tornado southwest of Patricia, Texas ~0104z

2006may5dgrab1.jpg

More images on blog.

Eric Nguyen and I observed two and possibly three tornadoes Friday evening, the first several miles west of Patricia around 0045z, the second southwest of Patricia around 0102z, and the third southeast of Patricia at 0111z. The second tornado was a tapered funnel that became visible in a circular rain curtain that surrounded the entire meso and grew into a large cone. The third was a large, cigar shaped tornado with a tapered end that emerged when we were north-northeast of a new meso. This tornado spun gracefully over a field and roped out.

Our original target was Midland where we hoped the synoptic boundary and a dryline might combine to fire storms which could move along or south of the front. We shifted north when we realized the storm near Hobbs was on the intersection of our boundaries. We noticed the cu in our area were drying out and that our winds were becoming more southerly. We went to Andrews and then north to Seminole before closing on the large, well-structured supercell.

We chased the various iterations of this storm from east of Seminole in Gaines County to near Knott in Howard County. We tangled with extreme hail early in the day and as we followed behind the core were amazed by the fields full of baseballs. While we played in the hail trail, our storm became multicellular and elongated. We noticed a new meso to our southeast and a wall cloud emerging. We continued to try and flank the storm but its consistent south southeasterly motion and rapidly developing southern flank mesos effectively kept us in hail for hours. Poor road networks didn’t help. Still we never saw stones the size we encountered near Seminole. At last the storm split completely and the southern cell became a powerful supercell. Soon afterwards we observed the first tornado.

I’ll provide more detail later. Street Atlas 2006 crashed from a runtime error and I lost the GPS log file. As a result, our positioning will be estimated at best.

two tornadoes encountered n of big spring...

two tornadoes encountered n of big spring...

Back