5/30/04 NOW: OK, TX, Midwest, TN & OH Valley

Dan Cook

EF5
Numerous tornado watches are springing up throughout the Plains and midwest.

Chicago area already had storms this morning, and supercells are forming near Indianapolis.

Discuss:

Confirmed tornado touchdowns in the cities of Marengo, IN, Milltown, IN, Jeffersonville, IN, Georgetown, IN, Edwardsville, IN, new New Albany, IN, near Madisonville, KY, near Elkton, KY, and west of Paducah, KY.

Also in Elletsville, IN, Attica, IN, Veedersburg, IN, Spencer, IN, Lyons, IN.

very nervous about the Indy 500. Indy is about to get a tor warning as a tor warned supercell heads directly for the track.. Why are they not clearing that place out?

very nervous about the Indy 500. Indy is about to get a tor warning as a tor warned supercell heads directly for the track.. Why are they not clearing that place out?

Nowhere to put them all. This is IND's nightmare scenario--I've heard their WCM say so.

Nowhere to put them all. This is IND's nightmare scenario--I've heard their WCM say so.
I cannot take my eyes off the TV waiting for a massive catastrophe to unfold on live TV. God this pisses me off at ABC

WFUS53 KIND 302313
TORIND
INC097-310015-

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
612 PM EST SUN MAY 30 2004

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
WESTERN MARION COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA
THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF INDIANAPOLIS

* UNTIL 715 PM EST

* AT 609 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR WAS TRACKING
A TORNADO 20 MILES SOUTHWEST OF CLERMONT...OR ABOUT 26 MILES
SOUTHWEST OF INDIANAPOLIS...MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH.

* THE TORNADO IS EXPECTED TO BE NEAR...
CLERMONT AROUND 655 PM EST
SPEEDWAY AROUND 705 PM EST
HOMECROFT AROUND 710 PM EST
BEECH GROVE AROUND 715 PM EST

Jesus

Numerous reports of damage across Southern Indianapolis. NWS employees viewed power flashes just North of their office. Also they are calling this a large and dangerous tornado.

Indy 500 Called Short

It should be noted that the INDY 500 race was called on lap 180 due to rain and not to the tornado warning. The TV shots during the final moments of the race showed race stands more than half-empty. This is a good indication the race fans had better sense in their noggins than the race officials did.

Mel was right in asserting that had the tornado continued into Indy and hit the race track, it would be a top qualifier for the Disaster of the Year award. We should give a "What were they thinking?" award to ABC and the Indy 500 racing officials.

8) LJK.

Re: Indy 500 Called Short

It should be noted that the INDY 500 race was called on lap 180 due to rain and not to the tornado warning. The TV shots during the final moments of the race showed race stands more than half-empty. This is a good indication the race fans had better sense in their noggins than the race officials did.

Mel was right in asserting that had the tornado continued into Indy and hit the race track, it would be a top qualifier for the Disaster of the Year award. We should give a "What were they thinking?" award to ABC and the Indy 500 racing officials.

8) LJK.

the NBA playoff's continued uninterupted in INDY during this event without even so much as a mention.

For those that missed it, MikeH put a screencapture on his site

[Broken External Image]:http://www.extremeinstability.com/stormpics/tcam4.jpg

Back