5/22/04 NOW: NE,KS,OK,IA

Scanning the LSR's from DMX, so far 9 reports of tornadoes
in Adair County Iowa near the town of Stuart, I am assuming
this is probably one tornado that is occurring.

Mike

hope those on the awesome looking cell north of omaha dont get screwed by the MO river. Im not familiar with the area so I dont know the road network.

Kenneth McCallister reporting a huge possibly mile wide wedge with the cell moving towards Beatrice Nebraska t this time.

Kenneth McCallister reporting a huge possibly mile wide wedge with the cell moving towards Beatrice Nebraska t this time.

Jason, I can confirm that as Jason Montano just phoned me to report that he had seen an at least half mile wide wedge on the ground.

Chasers Hit By Multi-Vortex Tornado in S. Central Nebraska!!

At 7:45 P.M. CDT or 0045 UTC, David Drummond reports being hit by a multi-vortex tornado on the tornado-warned storm that is just southeast of Hastings, Nebraska in Clay County, Nebraska. With thanks to God, they appear to be o.k. physically with David's vehicle suffering significant damage! According to David, his van has several windows blown out and it appears that the weather station gear that was on top of his vehicle has been blown off or severely damaged also. Dave was stopped on the side of the road talking to a volunteer fireman who was in a fire truck when the storm developed suddenly. Upon noticing that a tornado was developing, David punched the accelerator and blasted east to try to get away from the circulation(s). Before they could get too far from the developing tornado, his van was struck by a circulation and that is when the damage occurred. David thinks that he saw in his mirror as they were pulling away from the fireman, the firetruck get rolled over by the tornado but he is not 100 percent sure that is the case. They have not been able to turn around and go back to check on the fireman because they are trying to still get away from the tornado which is now a full blown funnel-tornado. I have just gotten back in touch with Dave at 8:10 and called the Hastings NWS Forecast Office and asked them to copntact authorities in Clay County to see about checking on the fireman who might have had his vehicle rolled. The incident happened on Nebraska State Highway 74 just southwest of the town Clay Center, west of Nebraska State Highway 14.

David had come upon the fireman and they both stopped to talk about large trees that were blown down in the road on Highway 74. As they were talking the multi-vortex circulation developed on top of them. David's annometer measured wind speeds up to 117 MPH while standing still. More updates soon. Tom Tackett---Ft. Worth, TX 8:25 PM.

TORN Warning for ME!!

Looks like I may have to be ready to take tornado shelter soon. :shock: Got a TORN warning for my county (Lancaster) as a tornado was reported near Wilber, NE moving east at 15 mph. Starting to get light rain now as I'm in the NW part of Lincoln, NE. Had to tell my wife and daughter to stop watching a DVD movie and turn the cable on. :shock:

Hope this blows over ok...pray for me. Lights are flickering now...bye!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

just spoke with matt biddle.

apparently he and his crew have not had the "wedge" success others have reported. he reports seeing mesos everywhere but overall a confusing HP mess. they have been on the storm north of omaha for quite some time.

glad to hear david and melissa are ok, and hope the fireman is too!

Lance, are you still nowcasting for Mike Gribble? If so, where is he?

I was on the supercell from Columbus to Blair(north of Omaha) and can report it WAS an HP mess. This was the most intense mesocyclone I've personally ever seen. Someone needs to start a reports thread and, well, I'd report...lol. I live in Blair and it worked out I chased it back into town getting flat out smacked behind this meso as it tracked down highway 30. Rather cool where you can get within the curtain of golfball to baseball sized hail and you'd have no hail and this amazing view of a flat out intense meso. I can't believe it wasn't producing RIGHT infront of me many times. The speed of rotation was amazing. YOu'd have to get TOO close for comfort to see this, next thing you know here comes the rain wrap again...and if you waited too much longer the large hail would start up again. My car has to be messed up. I know the town I live in is. It was shreaded. Roads look like yards as they are covered in leaves and branches. And many areas flooded over the curb. Highway coming into town was just one lane. This was all from one storm. Anyone on either this storm(there were a few) or that one south of Lincoln have seen a show tonight for sure. Sorry for the now/report. Pics will be up later in the report thread.

Back