5/22/04 NOW: NE,KS,OK,IA

I guess that storm initiated at the intersection of the dryline and the outflow boundary. Definitely the one I'd want to be on.

Wow, check out that couplet on the storm to its west, looks like ~60kts gate to gate.....the warning now mentions storm spotters siting a funnel cloud with it. I would not at all be surprised if this thing puts down a tornado. Kind of odd looking cell too, almost too large to be supercellular.

EDIT: After analyzing that storm, there are now two localized areas of rotation, as if this giant mass is now two separate cells. The strongest circulation is with the northern half and the other down near the KS border.

Storms going up in central Iowa west and north of Des Moines are going tornadic.

<edited>
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DES MOINES HAS ISSUED A
* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
BOONE COUNTY IN CENTRAL IOWA
* UNTIL 715 PM CDT
AT 641 PM A WEATHER SPOTTER REPORTED A ROTATING WALL CLOUD NEAR
WOODWARD.
<edited>

Edited by moderators - Target Area prohibits NWS bulletins being posted in their entirety.

At 2351Z:
The old cell: 50 kt gate-to-gate 6 NNE Franklin
The new cell: 50 kt gate-to-gate 6 NW of Hebron

How can you lose? I imagine we're going to see some fantastic pics posted here later tonight.

EDIT: Removed image due to it no longer being applicable.

I know that will change, but I just had to post that.....it is one of the best looking velocity images i have ever seen.

Torn Warn for Thayer and Fillmore

The Superior storm has intensified rather quickly and NWS has issued a TORN warning for Thayer and Fillmore counties in NE. This tornado was located four miles SE of Carleton or about 42 miles south of York NE and moving NE at 20 mph.

Presently there are 13 warnings out (8 TORN 5 STS) so things are still hopping in NE. Hope everything is going OK with the storm chasers in the area. 8) LJK.

Just spoke with Jason again. He said he witnessed a brief, weak touchdown along hwy 81 before it lifted. However, he is still observing a rapidly rotating wall cloud and looking at radar, i wouldnt be surprised if we see a large tornado from this storm.

That cell has now put off a split to its north and the main southern cell has made a turn right -- this is definitely a dangerous storm.

EDIT (712PM): I have never seen a base velocity image like that one is displaying now. That rotation south of Hastings is so wrapped up now.

Interesting how the storm rapidly organized right after the split occurred. I've seen this happen numerous times.

Here's hoping any chasers still trying to get in position on the storm from the north haven't been fooled into chasing the left split. It's happened to me before.

Hastings Storm

If I recalled correctly that storm cell near Hastings started out near McCook as three distinct storms. That storm system has merged together and tracked to the east, eating new cells in front like a vacuum cleaner. It has merged two or three times with other storms and still keeps on trucking. It has crossed that dryline/outflow boundary now. No telling what that monster storm will do now... :shock: LJK.

The Hastings cell better slow down or I have a bad feeling the Thayer/Fillmore country storm might not be able to stay ahead of it.

EDIT: Now looks as if the east cell has lost its hook.

MD just issued:

"01Z OUTLOOK WILL UPGRADE PORTIONS OF THE CURRENT MDT RISK TO HIGH RISK BASED ON LONG-TRACK STRONG TO VIOLENT TORNADO POTENTIAL OVER PARTS OF SERN NEBRASKA AND SOUTHWEST IOWA THIS EVENING."

Thayer storm producing tennis ball size hail

Just spoke with Jason Montano again who is near Daykin on highway 4....he had to hang up on me because he said that there are "several funnels spinning up" around him and "all over the place." Quite interesting to hear.

Back