5/09/06 DISC: North AL

Tony Cook

EF2
As a followup to Dave Gallaher's lone report from North AL on 5/9/2006, looks like Huntsville NWS found two tornado tracks, one adjoining an area of straight-line wind damage. These were associated with a monsterous bow echo which traversed North AL during the late afternoon hours.

NWS HUN Storm Survey for 5/9/2006.
NWS HUN Storm Survey for 5/9/2006

I was watching that bow on radar, and it had several areas of rotation along its leading edge. Both reports are from Northeastern Limestone County.

TonyC

I was watching that bow on radar, and it had several areas of rotation along its leading edge. Both reports are from Northeastern Limestone County.
[/b]

Thanks, Tony---

Nice to know that those warnings verified on the ground. I'm not certain that the updraft I saw was the same one that produced the warnings, but it was definitely busy. I had been filming an area about a half mile north with a small split, which resembled an RFD* somewhat; when I turned back south, I noted that nearly above my head was a nice hollow circular set of rotating cloud bands that were perhaps twenty or thirty yards wide (this is a hazardous guess, due to the height of the cloudbase). As I was filming this, the heavy rain began to hit and I got into the van, losing video of some of the action. The line itself was moving pretty quickly.

Off topic: Congrats on your captures on 5/5. Great wall cloud... Glad to see your Texas location is paying off. I'm sure you are missing all the trees, hills and winding roads back here.

dave

*Reminded me of some of our mini-supercells, though it was even smaller.

Back