4/21/05 Reports: NE,KS,MO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a close to home chase today as i live in Iola (allen County). Headed out aroond 130pm to the west and many cu were going up but none developing towers yet. Looked at data about 245 and decided to head north to Burlington. Saw Philip Flory so i stopped and introduced myself and went on our way. Went north of burlington and stopped near Wolf Creek power plant (at this time i was thinking about the atomic twister movie :D ). Saw some storms go up well to our northeast prob on the missouri side. Receieved a call from Mike Parker about storms going up south of Iola so we flew down 16th rd in Coffey county over to Garnett and then headed south down 169 to the 59/31 JCT. WE can see the storm very clearly now. Just north of moran in allen county got hit with pea sized hail and torrential rain for about 3 minutes on a small storm. Kept driving down 59. About 8 or 9 miles south i looked west and saw 2 tornadoes approx 2 miles east in the SE Allen,NE NEosho,Sw Bourbon county intersection. Turned at Savonburg and headed east. Not sure which road i turned south on but i ended up near Philip on HWY 39. Stopped and filmed for a while. Then it started to move northeast of our location and you could see the rain curtains wrapping around the north side of the wallcloud. Continued to try and stay with this funnel but the road sucked. I lost site of the storm and it disappeared as i drove into Ft Scott with the Sirens still sounding in town. That didnt deter alot of folks, there was hella traffic on US 69 coming into town and people were all standing outside looking around. Congrats too all who saw the other tornadic storms in southern neosho county. Thank you to Mike Parker for the great nowcasting. He helped us get on this storm.

Miles 233
Gas 5/8 of a tank
2 maybe 3 tornadoes
My friend Cory got to see his first Nader on this Chase

Well, nothing like trying to chase down a right-turning giant HP from behind. I met up with Dick McGowan in Overland Park around 1:30. Our plan was to get out to Lawrence just west of the metro area and then decide whether to head to SE KS (I had tentatively targeted Coffeyville area) or play the south end of the first watch box in NE KS. By the time we got to Lawrence, the answer was clear as the v-notched anvil of the isolated, well-developed storm NW of Topeka came into view. Reports had it moving ENE at 20mph, so it seemed like an intercept from the S was going to be a cupcake. Took the turnpike to Topeka, then headed N on US 75. By the time we reached Horton, heard report of funnel cloud spotted near Corning, still NW of us in Nemaha County, so we took a west jog which turned out to be mistake that would haunt us. Over the next 2-3 hours, we chased the storm from behind, trying to outflank it by zigzaging E and S. On our southward jogs, the back side curvature of the meso came into view, and we saw scud pushed by outflow then turning and wrapping back underneath the storm. From radio reports, we believed we were tailing the RFD. Each time we made an eastward push, ran into curtain of rain and hail and did not try to punch through because we didn't want to run right into something we couldn't see. By the time we reached Atchison, we had a dilemna of where to cross the MO river. By this time, the storm was moving at 40mph, we headed S to Leavenworth and crossed over, now hearing reports of terminals at KCI airport being evacuated. Terrain was now becoming very hilly, and although warnings kept coming, we decided to call off the chase once we saw the comforting blue signs of the interstate to take us home. Although it was frustrating, and maybe we erred on the side of caution, it was an interesting perspective on a storm.

Well, I drove 350 miles today, and all the action ended up less than two miles south of my home. Oh well, it happens to the best. I started the day around 11:30 am and headed west out of Pittsburg, Kansas to my target area of Yates Center, Kansas. Around 3:30 pm I was sitting in Yates Center checking data, and noticed winds at my location were out of the west soutwest. I made the decision to head east towards Iola, Kansas. I checked data again in Iola, Kansas and Allen County had just been included in the Kansas City area Tornado Watch. My next decision was the biggest mistake I had made all day.

I headed north out of Iola on US 169 towards Osawatomie, Kansas, thinking that I could possibly catch up with the Tornado Warned storms in central Missouri. I would have caught up with those storms, but the road network east of Osawatomie pretty much screwed me over. The only county road that would take me straight to the Missouri state line was closed for construction. At this point, I thought my chase day was a bust for sure. I finally made it to US 69 higway, but the Central Missouri storms had already booked it to my north and east and out of my reach. I made the decision to head home on US 69 highway.

As I travelled south, the huge supercells in Neosho County became more and more visible. I stopped in Pleasonton, Kansas to check data using wifi, and Nexrad was showing an awsome hook on the storm in central Neosho County. My only hope of seeing anything with this storm was hauling butt south and possibly core puching the storm.

I continued travelling south on US 69 and when I arrived in Ft. Scott, Kansas they were already sounding their storm sirens. In continued south through town, knowing that the Bourbon County tornado warned storm's inflow would soon be cut off from supercell in Neosho County. I followed State Highway 7 south through Girard, Kansas and finally saw my first wall cloud of the day to my southwest from the intersection of state highway 7 and 126. Get this, I made my way south by slipping past all the large hail and rain with these storms, so no core punch was necessary afterall.

In order to stay east and south of the rotating wall cloud, I head east on K-126 Highway and then shortly I head back south to get a better vantage point. I ended up on K-103 Highway to the east of Weir, Kansas, and pretty much followed the wall cloud and Meso circulation into Missouri, near Asbury, Missouri.

Hopefully I got some good video (haven't had time to check it yet) of the wall clouds I saw today. I followed the wall cloud to a location just southeast of Nashville, Missouri, on 43 highway. It was getting too dark for me to continue, so I headed for home. I will have a more complete chase account and photos posted on this chase, hopfully in a couple of days.

Wall Cloud Approximately 3 Miles North-Northeast of Weir, Kansas

[Broken External Image]:http://rparsons.photosite.com/~photos/tn/8982_348.ts1114186638347.jpg

Wall Cloud Approximately 1 Mile North Of Asbury, Missouri

[Broken External Image]:http://rparsons.photosite.com/~photos/tn/8981_348.ts1114186771457.jpg

**Most recent Update - added video to the website of the night tornado and here are also some more notes about the event**

I have now reviewed my dashcam footage from 4-21 and 4-25. In my opinion it pretty much proves the
night tornado I believed I saw that night in Missouri. Note that SPC never added this one to the
log; however I did submit a tornado report to NWS in Springfield via their website - so not sure
what's up with that.

Here's the situation. I was following the storms which had been dropping tornadoes earlier in south
eastern KS and it got dark on me. I decided to cautiously follow the storms into Missouri at night
to see what I could see even though I knew MO's reputation for hills and trees. Before I crossed
over into MO I witnessed a couple of different wallclouds and lowerings on the KS side that went
east into the darkness. Soon after that there were tornado warnings for the area near Jasper, MO. I
contined east and the NWS radio said the tornado should be near Miller at 9:40. There was also a new
tornado warning issued for the area south of Miller and perhaps nearer Mount Vernon. About 9:52 I
was about halfway between Avilla and Miller on hwy 96 and I saw a turquois green power transformer
flash and began seeing a large lowering and what appeared to be a fairly large tornado on the ground
to my southeast as I was headed in pursuit east. Originally I thought it was 5 to 7 miles away, but
after reviewing the pictures and video and seeing the trees in the foreground distance it appears it
is probably less than 2 miles.

Given power transformer flash, an obvious lowering to ground, and same location as the tornado
warning I think this pretty much verifies it.

Here's a link to the video. This is only Window Media format slightly over 1 mb because the mpeg
file is 77 mb and the avi file is up to 600mb!! So there is some quality loss. In the initial scene
where I say 'This is it!' or something to that effect if you look closely to the left side of the
tornado you may be able to see some of the greenish hue of the power transformer flash. This
doesn't seem to show up well on video though. It was very distinct and obvious by eye and that's
why I reacted the way I did. I can kind of see it a bit on the avi version. After that though not
sure if it carries much to the wmv version. Also the wmv is set for display at 320x240 so full
screen probably isn't the best idea.

http://www.tornadoxtreme.com/2005_Chases/A...April21st05.wmv

Note: I may also post a brief video of some of the wallclouds associated with Monday's MayPearl
storm.

**End Most recent Update**

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tornadoxtreme.com/2005_Chases/April_21st_05/IMG_01792_ninbig.jpg
This is a short post because I'm still out in the field in Springfield, MO. I'll update later. I've been having bad trouble with asthma and allergies keeping me from being out on the road last few days and therefore in position for Thursday. I tried to make it to the triple point but I left too late, and was a bit further north than I hoped, and I had to keep stopping to try and breathe as it felt like I was driving with a plastic bag over my head at times. When I realized I couldn't make the ongoing storms and tornado warnings up toward KS and my lower level cu was disappearing north of OKC near the KS border I knew I had to get east. Cells began to develop in se KS and ne OK as I meandered along stopping to breathe occasionally. I finally realized I could possibly catch the storms before dark so I started speeding up.

I took hwy 160 to hit 69 north near Crestline right before sunset. Stuff was ongoing mostly to my north and northeast and I couldn't make out a lot because of moisture, failing light, and dark storm clouds. The area behind me began to build and a couple of tornado warnings were issued north of me related to the Cherokee area. I tried to get in and make out detail but couldn't. The cores were getting larger to my west and southwest and the NWS radio was discussing new tornado warnings related to these if the storm strengthened. I bailed west on 160 between nice looking lowered wall clouds and a funnel lowering on the south of the road not far from me. The two lowered areas looked cool in the backlit sunlight but there wasn't that much of it. I should have grabbed a picture then but was afraid I would be run over by potential developing tornado. Once I got far enough west I turned around and stopped and pulled out my digital cam and was surprised that it could take pictures in almost total darkness.

I followed the area east back across into MO as new tornado warnings were issued for Jasper headed for Miller. Once I was in Carthage I knew I could make Miller, or at least close if I tried hard. I boogied east and closed the distance with somewhat intense lighting starting to strengthen ahead of me. I ran the dashcam. Along the southern side of the road and ahead of me when I was still about 4 or 5 miles from Miller I could see a lowering and intense strikes associated with it. A tornado warning was issued for this area near Mount Vernon, MO. The storm was supposed to be at Miller at 9:40. At about 9:52 I saw a greenish purple power transformer flash at what looked like ground level and directly under the lowered area. I'm pretty sure it was a tornado on the ground. Once or twice I thought I could see a narrow wedge shape, and I also jumped out a bit later and took some shots with my digital camera. Like Xray vision it shot the lowered wallcloud and appears to also show a slanted condensation area extending down into the foreground trees. I got one shot like this with and arcing CG bolt that looks pretty cool. I'll probably post later. I should have called it in but I thought I'd see it better later which of course I never did. When I get home I'll review the cam footage which probably isn't that good because I don't know how to set it to low light. I need to study up and get some cheat notes to carry with me in the field. I did later file a report with Springfield NWS of what I saw.

One note, this is the second time I've chases MO. First time was in the ne corner. I always said I'd never chase MO cause I thought it was terrible winding roads, hills, and trees. So, instead I chase it in the dark in a tornadic thunderstorm - LOL go figure. Strangely though the route I took was mostly flat with fewer trees and many open farming fields with good visibility.

Update:
I've completed updating my website and extracting out a picture from my Rebel XT to post from the night hunt in Missouri.
http://www.tornadoxtreme.com/2005_Chases/A...il_21st_05.html

That shot was taken in total darkness - no moon and was handheld.

One comment....you folks in Oklahoma City sure have it easy as I have to drive 6 hours just to get to 'Go'. Sometimes that sucks a bit. Thinking about it on the drive home OKC is situated in striking distance in any direction. Sure you could argue later in the season it's all up in NE or even further north but it's still closer by 6 hours than me. My original target from the night before based off the 0Z ETA was Emporia, KS. I was up quite a while trying to decide if it would be really decent, and even longer really trying to make up my mind on the best spot to head for. I didn't get to bed until after 1AM CDT. I had hoped to get out early like 5AM but with the asthma and antihistamines I couldn't wake up. I didn't leave until about 8:20. I made pretty good time other than really having to stop a couple of times cause I couldn't breathe and thought I was going to have to call the EMT's. I think I lost at least 2 hours that way. I was initially hoping to target near the triple point or perhaps just a bit south of there on the dryline. Turned out the front was also further north than I had hoped. Activity did start up at the boundary intersection as expected fairly early and continued to intensify during the day. The southeast Kansas destination where the storms fired was not all that far from my original destination, but I was just out of position and needed to get east and into the better air faster. It really pays to be at your target destination in plenty of time to allow for adjustments and monitoring and redeployment especially when that target is about 13 hours away. Had I been feeling better I would have been out the previous days and would have been much closer with less driving than the one day shot I made.

Read your account Shane, and good call on Chanute, KS as a target. Sounds like a fun chase. All in all mine was good other than I had limited daylight time to chase and was often gasping for air.

Allergies / asthma has been better last 2 days and hopefully it will stay that way; however I fear that the Mexican smoke is just around the corner.

Storms 04/21/05

Target area: Beatrice Nebraska
Tornado warnings encountered during chase?: Yes
Witnessed:
1. Atleast 2 wall clouds
2. Hail ranging from dimes to golfballs!
3. Tree on fire just after being hit by lightning
4. Tons of awsome CG!
5. Tons of flash flooding!

Link to where people can go to see SOME of the pics I took on this awsome day! :

http://photobucket.com/albums/y72/Supercel...tures%20042105/

[Broken External Image]:http://www.extremeinstability.com/stormpics/05-4-21-3243.jpg
Supercell near Tobias(I think).

[Broken External Image]:http://www.extremeinstability.com/stormpics/05-4-21-2.jpg
Road not to get on in a Mustang. I can't believe we got out of that.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.extremeinstability.com/stormpics/05-4-21-3250.jpg
As you can see this wasn't the greatest of chase days.

Congrats to those who nabbed the tubes in se KS.

http://www.extremeinstability.com/05-4-21.htm
More pics and an account.

I had arrived in Neb City about 4ish, headed south on US-75 and was just about to call it a day when another DITOR was issued for Otoe County. Crabbed on state roads to SW of Neb City, this area was west of where OAX's nowcast said the 'most dangerous' part should be, but this was the most visible part of the storm:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.opensecrets.us/DSC01374.JPG

The clouds were moving SE, while the rain curtains were moving N.

This was just WSW of Neb City:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.opensecrets.us/05042101nebcityhaildrift.JPG
[Broken External Image]:http://www.opensecrets.us/05042102nebcityhailfog.JPG

Nice hail fog--sad to note that the moisture was just sitting in the field--not being ingested into the storm, dang it...

I never got hailed on myself--saw no reason to lose visibility and a windshield for a storm that I never had much confidence in to begin with.

Ran into Mike H. et al at the Conoco at the IA-2 exit on I-29--raining too hard to chat and nothing to talk about in the first place! Ah, well--it is only April, after all!

I left COU for Kansas City with two targets in mind, SE Kansas and NE Kansas. When I got to KC the SPC had issued the MD and watch for NE Kansas along the warm front near the triple point. Still being early in the day we decided to play this extent of the system. We went up to St. Joe and then across 36 to Seneca, KS when the storms started to initiate just to our South. We got right on them and saw some great rotation and a brief torn. Full chase account for the day can be found here:

http://www.missouri.edu/%7Edwhc46/stormcha...April212005.htm

Dan

I took the afternoon off from the office in anticipation of my first chase of the season. I was not disappointed as I didn't have to travel too far. I was leaving just as the MD came out for NE KS.

I left Manhattan headed east on Hwy 24, which just happened to be the way to my house :) A quick stop and a peek at the computer and I was out the door. I chose to go east on 24 and then north because we already had good backing winds and small towers were already starting to form. I went north on Hwy 63 I believe, and parked myself just south and east of Onaga.

I was watching a small cell develop to my west, and it had just began to get a small rain shaft. I wasn't convinced it would do much more. I got a call from Darin Brunin who confirmed it looked to have good structure from his vantage point in Lawrence.

I ran into a few chasers from St. Paul, MN and Ken McCallister from OK, and we watched it grow into supercell form. It soon became obvious that there was good inflow and strong updraft. A wall cloud persisted for about 45 minutes and did everything but touch down. It did seem to get cut off by the RFD at one point, but soon separated itself enough to continue its good motion.

Eventually this storm went onto produce some large hail, which I had a slight encounter with, lol. Even got into some thick hail fog on Hwy 9. I broke off the chase after a wrong turn put me in a position where I could not catch up, and it became an HP mess anyway. I ventured back through Topeka and found my way home via 24.

All in all not a bad start to the season!

Tim

2b274ccbbc20c06bab4f484952038e3b.jpg

fd56ac3c888a7a08c0256c423e01496d.jpg

38fae37c5b4f4622cff6e208b31470ad.jpg

After patiently :x waiting for 5 pm to come around so I could lock up and head north to Kansas, I became a victim of the dreaded second guessing syndrom.

Watching the building going on to the west of Tulsa I slowly headed up north then a little east just giving more time to see if anything would stay up. After finally having enough of watching tops fall apart I headed up to Missouri figuring I could still meet up with the tornadic storms as they came across the border from Kansas. Almost to the Missouri border I hear the tornado warning for the east of Tulsa :x . Oh well too late to turn around now.
I made it up to the west of Jasper , Mo. somewhere around 8:30 and about 8:45 my wipers stopped working :cry: . Now getting hit with some marble size hail , rain and waiting for the gps on the Ipaq to relocate after accidently getting turned off . I decide it was time to turn around and get out of the mess and head home.

Got a few structure pics early on and some grabs from video and a good lightning show once I was west of everything. Not too bad but sure would have liked to got there before dark, oh well it's still early in the season 8)

Few of the grabs

[Broken External Image]:http://www.stormdriven.com/sitebuil...pictures/.pond/4212005pm0033.jpg.w180h135.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.stormdriven.com/sitebuil...tures/.pond/4212005857pm0006.jpg.w180h135.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.stormdriven.com/sitebuil...tures/.pond/4212005857pm0004.jpg.w180h135.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back