4/20/04 NOW: S KS /E OK

A good looking cell gaining strength in the vicinity of Arkansas City, KS, just along the border, and another one formong SE of Ponca City right now. They will only get more intense moving into thepool at the DL/outflow intersection. I'm getting drool on my shirt thinking about being there!!

Further north, along the front, some cells are just now popping in W.C. IA, near Atlantic, and also between Norfolk, NE, and Sioux City. Expecting a WW for this northern area soon, I would guess. Not as much forcing on these northern storms, so maybe just a SVR watch??

Bville

Well I am in Bville at the moment, watching that cell along I35, on radar, hope I made the right choice. The dryslot appears to be nearing me here, the temps are rising just to my west reaching 76. It is 71 hear but I think once the temp rises 4 deg convection should begin.....I hope.

Explosive cell on radar

That cell along KS/OK border near I35 was quite explosive in development per view of radar loops...looks impressive. Wish I were there.

Look for that Kay Co. OK SUP to go TOR warned at any time. Looking at the mean velocities, it's spinning like mad. Someone a lot smarter than myself can answer better, but with the environment these are heading into, can they stay together without going linear for another 2+ hours or so??

Originally posted by J.B. Dixon
Look for that Kay Co. OK SUP to go TOR warned at any time. Looking at the mean velocities, it's spinning like mad. Someone a lot smarter than myself can answer better, but with the environment these are heading into, can they stay together without going linear for another 2+ hours or so??

Really? I haven't seen much rotation with it... at least not on SRM images... And now I see OUN has cancelled the svr warning for it as the cell is disappating rapidly...

That being said, there is rapid intiation now from southeast of that stom, down into the northern burbs of OKC. I would head out, but I'm not impressed with the low-level shear... and with an exam tomorrow, I think I'll stay off this event...

VILs are awfully weak... the Pawhuska storms are only at 25, and stuff down near OKC (though new) is barely reaching 5.

Tim

Satellite is indicating overshooting tops on the tail end charlie in Kansas and the dueling banjo storms over NE Oklahoma. The OK cells have the advantage of isolation ahead of the line ... they can throw one out at any time. The northern cell (just south of KS state line) appears to be turning right and some slight rotation is showing up on rad. vel. Congrats to those of you who picked NE Oklahoma.

... for them to stay isolated, they are going to have to stay out ahead on their own and maintain access to the juice apart from the linear stuff to the north and without too much further flank development ... they may even be able to do it on into MO/AR ... will have to wait and see what happens, I guess.

HMMM - looks a lot like Sunday to me! ... :)

Right off target area for this thread but....

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
LA SALLE COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS

* UNTIL 615 PM CDT

* AT 532 PM CDT...A TRAINED SPOTTER REPORTED A LARGE TORNADO 7 MILES
NORTHWEST OF HENRY...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

The kidney bean shaped cell near Pawhuska has some very nice rotation to it, even on tilt 1, and on Radial velocity and storm-relative rad velocity. VILS near 60 with it too. VAD profile from Tulsa radar shows nicely backing flow, which would definately aid in increasing low-level shear.

Strange Doppler Radar in OK

That line of storms has extended itself into OK now. Here's a link to NWS radar out of Okie City (Norman) OK:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p37c...r/si.ktlx.shtml

I would like to know if anybody can interpret the ground clutter around the radar site. Does it looks like a couple of convergence zones and a outflow boundary in the area?? Is that whats feeding the storm clouds to the NE??
Would be interesting to see what interaction takes place when the outflow boundary reaches one or both of the convergence lines... 8) LJK.

I'm seeing some decent anticyclonic rotation with the cell southwest of Tulsa...

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tornadocentral.com/now/anticyclonicwtulsa.jpg

It seems to be actual rotation given orientation of max velocities relative to a radial. However, it's also immediately underneath an apparent hook... Hmm... There is some inbound/outbound on a dissecting radial, which tells me there is some convergence here too. However, max velocties are located on the sides of radial, indicating rotation...

Boundaries

Larry Kosch wrote: I would like to know if anybody can interpret the ground clutter around the radar site. Does it looks like a couple of convergence zones and a outflow boundary in the area?? Is that whats feeding the storm clouds to the NE??
Would be interesting to see what interaction takes place when the outflow boundary reaches one or both of the convergence lines..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe what is seen on radar incude the cool front moving in from the northwest and convergence along the dryling near OKC and southward.

Back