4/20/04 NOW: IL/IN

According to Dr. Forbes, tornadic supercell is approaching my hometown of Schaumburg, IL :shock: Spare my house please! I wonder if anyone got pictures of this event!

Confirmed touchdowns and damage in Boone, Howard,Grant and Wabash counties in Indiana.

Confirmed touchdown NOW in Roanoke Indiana (Huntington county) heading NE 20 mph into Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

Jon Miller

Confirmed touchdown and damage (& TV news video of tornado) in Jamestown Indiana earlier.

Originally posted by Ken Hughey
Wow... Check out the 4pm HWO for Chicago....
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?site=l...02103&format=ci

\"NO SEVERE WEATHER IS EXPECTED.\" ouch....

NWS in Chicago always seems to downplay most severe weather threats. However; this event by most meteorological standards, really wasn't supposed to happen. The air was very stable, but I guess strong forcing, very low LCLs, and intense shear all combined at the right place and time.

Hopefully we can get some of this action in MI tomorrow, I'll be out chasing...I just put the laptop to sleep for a full battery tomorrow, and called up sprint to activate my cellular card...

Robert

Chicago outbreak has ended looks like. The storm approaching my home in Schaumburg weakened and as most supercells do, it moved to the right. I guess this type of thing (low-top supercells) is what y'all were expecting on 3/1 up here!

Snap Decisions

I just got back from a spur-of-the-moment run through DuPage and Will counties, right out my door. Most frustrating – low light levels, lousy contrast, and crowded and cluttered terrain. Every time I got a line on a cell it weakened as though it sensed my approach. Finally got close to a good storm around Lockport when it finally got too dark too see. Not my day, but pretty good for a completely unexpected gift. I actually read the infamous 4PM LOT HWO before I left work, and came home to my SAME reciever going off. :oops:

Did not even have a drop of rain here at Kentland Indiana, but tornado on Ground a few miles northwest of Gilman Illinois about 30 miles west of me.....I do hope mets will study this outbreak to see why 38 of 43 reported tornadoes so far his Indiana and Illinois and why the warm front became so active when it was unexpected to do so and interest was focused on Oklahoma. Good scientific lessons can be learned.

A mini-supercell is exactly the same as a 'regular' supercell except smaller in all sizes... Nothing against a HP mini.

That was probably an HP that prompted the flood warning for CHI. Now there are 4 :!: confirmed tornado-related deaths in LaSalle County! :shock: Boy! SPC really blew this forecast. I wonder what they are thinking now in Norman...

Back