4/20/04 NOW: IL/IN

Quite a few warnings up there now... Rather surpsing, seeing all model guidance I can see is saying/forecasting/analyzing CAPE <500 (if not 0) across most of IL and IN. SPC mesoanalysis, however, is indicating SBCAPEs >1000+ across that area... Shear is very strong, but I can't seem to find much of anything that shows instability over that area... Several reports, however, of spotter-sighted tornadoes.... Always a good remind to stay on your feet, as even the days that don't look favorable can turn around quickly... Those supercells all appear quite small in terms of size...

Also, a new tornado warning for a supercell right near Des Moines, IA...

VAD profiles from nearby radars show some very impressive shear! LCLs are very low too.

EDIT: 11 counties under tornado warnings right now! :shock:

EDIT2: LOL I find it odd how the forecast tornado area (eastern KS/OK, eastern MO/AR) have had 0 tornado reports so far, yet there seems be a regional tornado outbreak going on in IL and IN. Additionally, tornado warnings now for that Des Moines supercell and one now for Antelope county in northeast Nebraska! What's going on?! LOL

I find it very interesting that the SPC did not put out a tornado watch until 2240Z, and did not have a Meso Discussion until 2300Z. Note that this is after 6 tornadoes spotted until the watch, and 11 until the Meso Discussion.

I also found it funny that many went chasing today aimed at a marginal environment (SE KS/NE OK), only to have a mesoscale tornado event blow up 2 states away!

Never underestimate the warm front just because the SPC does.

I come in from work hearing about a tornado watch. I'm thinkin there must be some mistake. HWO said no sevwx for Chicago! :shock: :shock: Now, a multitude of supercells approaching the city! WTF?! :shock: :shock:

Nothin by NIU though. :(

It's about time something got started, been really boring here, weatherwise.

AT 730 PM CDT...A TRAINED SPOTTER REPORTED A TORNADO AND RADAR
INDICATED ROTATION AROUND CHANNAHON...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH

Grundy and Will Counties in NE IL. I called home and my mom says that sirens are sounding.

Reported now on ground in city of Channahon, also tornado just hit the small town of Delmar, Iowa in Jackson county major damage now being reported. Wow, major outbreak NOT expected!!

Confirmed tornado reports now coming in around the Wabash / Huntington area of north central Indiana heading NE now towards Allen county (Ft. Wayne area) .

Gads, I wish we could have got an inkling of this brewing up earlier in the afternoon (more action here in the midwest than in Ok/KS )- well within a 1 to 4 hr chase drive for me. Maybe tomorrow.

Jon Miller
WTØRNA

They just issued a tornado warning for FT. Wayne Indiana

We have gone from 16 to 34 tornado reports in 30 minutes! I was on an armchair chase down near Tulsa today. :x

This will end up being a great case study for today....... 31 tornadoes already for just IL/IN from the warm front.

Tornado on ground in Joliet, Illinois and on the ground ON Interstate 57 just north of Kankakee, Ill. Not good, getting in high population areas and on major highways.

Back