4/02/06 FCST: IL/IA/MO

Dan Cook

EF5
it looks like it could be a decent chase. the upper level wind fields wont be nearly as strong as what we have been seeing so the storms themselves could end up being more chaseable. and i personally liked what the NAM has in southern arkansas better than illinois with LI's of -6, DP's mid 60's, T's mid 70's, 1500-2500 J/kg, and helicity values of 200-300 being forcasted. Its a shame im goin to be chasin turkeys in tennessee instead of the storms in arkansas.

It is intetesting to compare this set up to the infamous outbreak of 4/19/96:

Illinois Outbreak

The overall pattern is similar but in the case study, the warm front surges north leading to +14 degree 3 hour dew point changes!

Given the uncertainties of model data this far out, it's something I plan on watching.

I'm very concerned for the areas of IL and IN bounded by I-88, US 31, and I-74. The nose of a 500 mb jet streak will be juxtaposed with the TP of a 998 mb sfc low. Sfc winds are progged to be from the SE/SSE, with 850 mb winds from the SW. It looks as though sfc temps of 70° and sfc Tds of 60° should make it all the way up to I-88. Place a diffluent jet stream on top of that area and it just spells great trouble (and, if I'm not busy, my very first chase? B) ).

FWIW, my WFO (the very mild-mannered, unexcitable LOT) is very concerned and used strong wording in their latest AFD (I'm not kidding! Here's the proof).

4:56pm 3/31 EDIT: Central IL WFO really jumping on board, already talking about siginificant severe weather event in their AFD, and a potential conference call in their HWO.

I'm a native hoosier, so the setup is obviously a particularly interesting one. I grabbed a few screen-shots from the 12z NAM earlier this afternoon from GrADS, showing some of the better areas I had in mind... Mosey on over here for a look-see.

I have EHI analyses from 21z Sunday (4pm Sunday) and 00z Monday (7pm Sunday), as well as a few other convective forecasting panels from 21z and 00z. I also included a grid-point forecast sounding from near Macomb (probably closer to Fountain Green, IL).

These all point toward northern MO, southeastern IA, and western IL - all areas, I'm particularly interested in with this event. Fairly similar to the March 12 setup, although, with less dynamic support. While shear doesn't seem to be much of a problem, for some reason or another, 18z soundings indicated CAA and subsidence aloft, around the area... Not sure if that'll play a role in some slight strengthening of the CAP, but it could. I also liked the Theta-E advection at H85 over western portions of IL - and if history (and science) proves correct, areas near the apex and to the right of the 850mb Thete-E tongue could spell enhanced tornadic potential if sufficient MLCAPE's and helicities coincide - which don't seem to be a problem either (see the EHI analyses).

Strictly, going off the 12z data (haven't looked at the 18z data very closely) I'd pick the area bounded by Quicy to Springfield to Galesburg, with a target of around Macomb.

Briefly looking at the 18z now, it appears that the NAM has slowed the system down some and is breaking out convection in it's QPF more over IA and northern MO around 18z Sunday. Thermodynamics and instability still look fairly good, however, over the aforementioned area around 00z, only slightly slower than the 12z had. Quincy still may not be a bad option... now that I've looked at the 18z, going westward into IA may be better... where mid-level support is best.

Either way (IA or IL, or even MO), if anyone heads out, good luck!

Still waiting for the 00Z GFS but the 00Z NAM would make me want to get to UIN by noon and play from there.

http://www.wxcaster.com/etaskewts.php3?mod...&STATIONID=kuin 45hr (21z Sunday)

Obviously, placement of the low is still in question this far out but that's been my target area for the last few runs and the latest NAM doesn't do much to change that. Will keep monitoring and fine tuning but there does appear to be the potential for a few tornadoes on Sunday, especially early on. Things should go linear by evening and race to the east from there.

OVERALL PATTERN AS
CURRENTLY FORECAST BY NAM AND GFS STRONGLY SUGGESTS AN ENHANCED
POTENTIAL FOR LONG-TRACK SUPERCELLS FORMING ACROSS SRN IA/NRN MO AND
THEN MOVING ACROSS THE MS RIVER FROM AFTERNOON INTO EARLY EVENING.
FORECAST STORM RELATIVE SHEAR AND POTENTIALLY LOW LFC NEAR THE WARM
FRONT AND SURFACE LOW...FROM SERN IA INTO NRN IL...APPEAR SUPPORTIVE
OF STRONG TORNADOES IN THIS AREA.

I'm leaving SC around 1PM on Saturday, and will set up around Vandalia, IL for Sunday. I'm from NW Illinois originally, and know the are well. everything South of I-80 is FLAT, So try to stay south of there is possible. I talked to a buddy in Morrison, Illinois, and he said that they are already telling people to monitor weather radios, etc, and that this could be a very dangerous set-up on sunday. It appears that with every new forecast, it becomes more serious than the last one.

4:56pm 3/31 EDIT: Central IL WFO really jumping on board, already talking about siginificant severe weather event in their AFD, and a potential conference call in their HWO.
[/b]

Because of the event being on a Sunday, we were trying to give more of a heads-up to the EM's about the possibility. The March 12 event, also being a Sunday, caused some confusion and concern among EM's.

Chris G.

I'm liking Sunday more and more. Timing is going to be crucial, on many fronts (no pun intended).

I've been watching this for days, and originally liked the Galesburg, Il. area. That may change in the next 24 hrs, but not by very much. SFC Low looks to be taking a path vicinity of I-80 corridor, but the 2 things that may affect tomorrow are 1.) How far warm front surges. I think best tornado threat will be along and north of front, in western portion of Il. and 2.) any convective debris inhibiting daytime heating from earlier convection from the west. High Risk? If issued, for a very small area I feel. Probably vicinity of Miss. river.

Path of this event is somewhat similar to 5/10/03 (SE IA, NE MO, Western IL).

Thoughts??

Finally will get a chance to chase this year!

I'm kind of weary on how much the convection tonight may hinder heating in the western part of the area tomorrow, just as Terry pointed out. The instability should be there if we can get at least a narrow corridor of strong heating (something that Thursday's storm system lacked in KS/NE due to a weak cap). I'll have to look at stuff early Sunday to get a good grip on a possible target area.

It looks like the 1730 Day 2 Outlook is out, and almost all of IL is in the MOD area.

Back