3/3/2005 NOW: NE Kansas

High-based thunderstorm just southwest of Lawrence, KS. Lightning, thunder, not severe.

First storm of the season. Excellent...

Didn't get any hail here. Just thunder, lightning, heavy rain for about 5 minutes. Nice garden-variety early spring T-storm.

Chased this one...

Marc Grant and I chased this one today. We were moving a friend in Overland Park, KS. Saw the storms firing up on radar. We had time to kill so figured what the heck and headed off to the storm that dropped all the hail as it moved Southeast. We were a few miles west of Hillsdale Lake on 68 hwy. Initially the storm was high based. We targeted the updraft, got some 3/4"-1" hail, but it was the slushy snowball kind (not sure of the technical name). So it disintegraged on impact. Not bad for an early march unplanned chase. We followed the storm back towards the KS/MO border at which time we had to head back to moving our friend. Marc does have some images I am sure he will post later.

Ehhhh.. i went to the spotter training class in Ottawa instead.. but there was an awesome rainbow over OP today...

Back