3/27-3/29 Blizzard

Given the threat of tornadoes in South again today, is it OK to use this forum to post real time snow amounts and related reports?

It's not a problem as long as it doesn't clutter up the thread. If anyone wants to post frequent observations from one location (like once every couple of hours or less) it should have its own thread.

Tim

Here in Guymon there are snow drifts of 2+ feet everywhere and visibilty is dropping to less 100 yards multiple times today. Definitely the worse snow storm I have ever been in the Panhandles. The power lines are popping up and down pretty hard in the wind. I will be shocked to still have power here this evening.

Sleet mixed with very light freezing rain in downtown Wichita. Numerous accidents.

Here in Edmond is 35 degrees with thundershowers/rain in the area. I am pretty suprised at how fast the cold air moved in overnight, I wasn't expecting temps to reach freezing until sunset tonight.

Area west of the OKC Metro are hovering in the upper 20s with thunderstorms moving in over the area, looks like 1/4 inch of ice accumulating will not be out of the question over towards that area.

Just watched the local news stations and one of them is calling for the state to be crippled after this storm moves out, expecting the state to shut down overnight tonight with blizzard like conditions moving in.

Looks like they are dropping the WSWarnings further south east as the cold air continues to push in. WIllbe interesting to see where the bands of snow setup tonight. I am expecting about 4-5" here in North of OKC. However, the 12 foot + anticipated-totals are not that much further north of this area, I would not mind a good foot of snow at all :D

At my house near Lake Thunderbird (east of Norman) at 12:30 pm we are still hovering at a balmy 42, but that's down from 47 a few hours ago. We are getting some thunder and light rain.

Tim

The plant where I work was closed for the day due the storm, so I'm home watching it out the window. Thus far, here in Miami, TX in the Eastern TX panhandle, the storm has been a bit of an underachiever compared to what was advertised - THUS FAR. Right now I only have maybe an inch or two at best. Things should begin to really pick up shortly - at least I am hoping so!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Over 1/4" of sleet now in Derby, Ks just south of Wichita. Conditions are slowly getting worse. Since I only used 13 min of vid from the 3/23/09 chase im using the rest of that vid for this storm. A chase and a blizzard on the same vid in the same week... I LOVE SPRING!!!

Greetings from snowy Coldwater KS. where I am getting my winter fix in spades! As of 18Z, there is about 4" of snow on the average that's fallen, drifts in the parking lot of the motel I'm at is about a foot and a half deep.
Snow has pretty much abated for the time being but another area of snow over Harper and Major Co's is poised to graze my location. As the main vortmax begins to eject slowly east, I anticipate more lobes of intense snow bands to come into Commanche County KS. by later thisafternoon with the culmination of this event between 22Z-04Z thisevening. I'm looking for an additional 6-10 more inches here in Coldwater before all is said and done with considerably more between Woodward to Fairview. I think Major County, Ok. stands the best chance of getting 18"+ total. I guess I should have stayed in Woodward or Fairview but I'm statisfied with where I picked.

Earlier thismorning, the snow got started around 12Z and was accompanied by a couple nice rolling thunder claps. I looked out the window upon hearing the thunder and could hardly see across the parking lot. Snowfall rates were about 2-3"/hour for a little under an hour. Winds were gusting to at least 40mph at the time.

I'm hoping to get back to the farm by tomorrow night that may be wishful thinking. Anyway.. I think I'll be ready for spring after this.

I measured 6"-7" outside my place on the SW side of AMA. So far, at 1pm, NWS-AMA has recorded 3.4". Totals in the city of AMA are likely to be higher than in in open fields outside the city since buildings and trees can block the snow from blowing.

New Mexico felt the effects of this storm as well as some of our mountains received over a foot and half of snow. The commute was rather interesting just east of Albuquerque on I-40 near Moriarity earlier on today as there was about 6 inches of snow there. The winds were howling (25-35kts) off and on which turned everything into an ice skating rink and at times, near white out conditions. Here in the city itself, we only received about an inch of snow but it has been noticeably much colder as temps have been hovering around the 27F mark. If I didn't have to work this weekend, I would have gone on a fieldtrip to the TX Panhandle just to experience something amazing like that...watch March Madness inside, witness one-to-two story snowdrifts outside; the best of both worlds.

Speaking of the panhandle, one of the LSR out of Amarillo is reporting 10 ft snowdrifts near Dalhart. That's simply incredible...

Last edited by a moderator:
Still holding at around 35 here in Edmond.

I don't think forecasters expected temps to stay above freezing this long. Could we see maybe a retreat on total snowfall values?

It has been raining moderately all day with thunderstorms mixed in.

Freezing line seems stationary to the NW of OKC

I am currently streaming from Guymon, OK. I was driving around earlier, but its getting too messy and too many people are out. Just streamed 2 people who were stuck in the snow outside the Super 8 here. I am using the hotels interent so I am streaming 720x480 video and you can go fullscreen - Stream

Still holding at around 35 here in Edmond.

I don't think forecasters expected temps to stay above freezing this long. Could we see maybe a retreat on total snowfall values?

It has been raining moderately all day with thunderstorms mixed in.

Freezing line seems stationary to the NW of OKC

U hit the nail on the head. The 18Z OUN sounding shows a warm nose aloft that the NAM hasnt accounted for (basically reitterating what OUN said in their AFD). Therefore I dont think the OKC metro will see the sig snowfall totals that were thought to occure.
I dont blame NWS or anyone for that matter for missing this b/c no one cried wolf here. Predicting winter weather is 10 times hard then forecasting severe weather. Even for the most veteran of forecaster, it comes as quite a challenge.
Being Norman Im not surprised at all regarding these new weather observations b/c well its Norman.

EDIT: I think there keeping the Winter Storm Warning in effect for the metro to cover the ice/sleet impacts as well as the snow. It kinda covers it all.

Back