3/20/06-3/21/06 FCST: Central Plains Snowstorm

Still a snowin' and a blowin' here at the farm; we've picked up another 4 inches of snow since 11 a.m. this morning. :D Our UPS man made a delivery today :blink: He had to park his UPS van out on the road and wade through snowdrifts almost waist high in places the 2 tenths of a mile to our house because our driveway is completely impassable. He said that the highways are barely passable and they are beginning to ice over and drift shut despite CDOT snowplows' valiant efforts. (Muwahahaha!) :lol:
The low is just barely beginning to shift northeastward, having stalled for about six hours late this morning and early afternoon. I'm guessing it will finally stop snowing here fairly late this evening, but I would imagine the wind and blowing snow/drifting is going to be an issue through most of tomorrow.
It would be really crazy if we got tomorrow off too, because next week is our Spring Break and they can't and won't cancel Spring Break. It's unlikely, but not without the realm of possibility.
Jeff: Sorry you guys missed out on this one. Now you know how cheated we eastern plains dwellers felt during the Blizzard of 2003. :D

We got a few inches here in Denver after everyone (including myself) thought we were going to get near a foot. :( But, like with the THREE WHOLE "SNOWSTORMS :huh: " we've had up til this one, another big disappointment for the Urban Corridor. I'm so sick of this winter; it was like the 2005 chase season for me only with snow! Disappointing. Time to turn the calenders and get ready for the good stuff.

As of 4 pm Fullerton NE was reporting 22 inches. As of 5 pm Greely NE was reporting 25 inches. It should continue to snow in these areas for alot of the night. Here in Blair I'd say maybe 6 inches or so. I'm having a hard time picturing 25 inches around there. For a perspective on "normal" NE snow amounts I believe the record snow depth in Omaha is right around 20 inches.

There are 3 to 4 foot drifts in areas that recieved 12 inches. I wonder what in the hell it looks like in the zone reporting over 20 inches with more on the way.

I had some fun taking pictures earlier. I was laying on my back in the snow waiting on the birds to come back to their water bowl (which was only 10-15 feet away). Well they all came back and all of the sudden one lands on the tip of my boot and is looking right at me not yet realizing I'm a person. I luckily got this shot.

As of 4 pm Fullerton NE was reporting 22 inches. As of 5 pm Greely NE was reporting 25 inches. It should continue to snow in these areas for alot of the night. Here in Blair I'd say maybe 6 inches or so. I'm having a hard time picturing 25 inches around there. For a perspective on "normal" NE snow amounts I believe the record snow depth in Omaha is right around 20 inches.

There are 3 to 4 foot drifts in areas that recieved 12 inches. I wonder what in the hell it looks like in the zone reporting over 20 inches with more on the way.

I had some fun taking pictures earlier. I was laying on my back in the snow waiting on the birds to come back to their water bowl (which was only 10-15 feet away). Well they all came back and all of the sudden one lands on the tip of my boot and is looking right at me not yet realizing I'm a person. I luckily got this shot.
[/b]

Well arent you so lucky with birds these days Mike". i been out and about messing around and well no one is getting home or leaving if you live out in the country, many roads are drifted shut, and people just dont learn even if its slushy, its packing hard and it dont take much to go lose it... and then in the ditch they go, been pulling cars out elft and right////i even saw a snow plow on its top off Hwy 36... Hwy 31 to elkhorn is drifting and making it very diffacult for travel, Hwy 92 i think it is... if your going WEST... YORU NOT GOING TO GET VERY FAR... leshara NE is pretty much snowed in around there my grandma says... ok i fugred this should be in reports so ill prb get nabbed..

ANYWAYS looks like some darker green bans have just been nailing the heck out of lincoln , also i see what many else see is the LOW slowing ... eghh! hevy snow bands i think are really gonne be developing around 10 or so... i dont know just taking a guess...

ill be out later tonight messing around... taking pics and vid... see ya guys :eek:

IF THSI BELONGS IN REPORT PLEASE CHANGE THIS... or let me know if we need to start a report thread. i figured many arent chasing snow so there is no thread needed .. my apologies.

For a perspective on "normal" NE snow amounts I believe the record snow depth in Omaha is right around 20 inches.
[/b]

The record snow depth in Omaha was ~26 inches during the active snow storms of Jan.-Feb. 2004. It appears that the most active March as far as total snowfall accumulation at Eppley is 24.5 inches in 1960. One must look back to March 1987 for the last double digit March snowfall accumulation (10.5 inches that year) in Omaha.

The record snow depth in Omaha was ~26 inches during the active snow storms of Jan.-Feb. 2004. It appears that the most active March as far as total snowfall accumulation at Eppley is 24.5 inches in 1960. One must look back to March 1987 for the last double digit March snowfall accumulation (10.5 inches that year) in Omaha.
[/b]

Ah I see that wording HERE

AT THE OMAHA EPPLEY AIRPORT...11.3 INCHES OF NEW SNOW FELL...GIVING
THEM A SNOW DEPTH OF 21 INCHES. THIS IS A NEW RECORD FOR SNOW DEPTH
IN THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY. THE OLD RECORD WAS 18 INCHES...WHICH WAS
SET IN 1965. THE ALL TIME RECORD SNOW DEPTH FOR OMAHA IS 27
INCHES...WHICH OCCURRED IN MARCH OF 1960...AND IS ONLY 6 INCHES
GREATER THAN THE CURRENT SNOW DEPTH. [/b]

That 21 is what was stuck in my head. The TV folks must have got it wrong at the time because when they were talking about it they were saying it like it was the all time for any period(not just for February). They kept refering to it but I never once heard them say it was just a Feb thing. It seemed kind of low for a record.

Ah I see that wording HERE
That 21 is what was stuck in my head. The TV folks must have got it wrong at the time because when they were talking about it they were saying it like it was the all time for any period(not just for February). They kept refering to it but I never once heard them say it was just a Feb thing. It seemed kind of low for a record.
[/b]

Well I don't post much on here, simply read most of the time, but I'm in a good spot to actually say something tonight. I believe that we have at least 20 inches of snow on the ground here in Palmer, NE. I am in between Grand Island and St. Paul, NE. I have about a quarter of a mile long driveway and have been snowed in since yesterday afternoon. Drifts were over my car this morning, and there is noooo way I could have gotten out at all. It started snowing here around 8:30 pm on Saturday evening and has continued off and on since then. What a way to start spring!!!

In the MO-IL area, the GFS seems to be handling this storm better than either the NAM or RUC, both of which have the main snow band too far southwest. Most of MO, except the northeast, has been overtaken by the dry slot. As mentioned in an earlier post, precip is trying to break out in KS and western MO, but it has not increased in coverage, and the dry slot seems to be winning out. Looks like the best snow accumulations henceforth may be from Iowa to around SPI to east and northeast of STL. Still snowing hard here in Edwardsville (20 NE of STL) with almost an inch so far, but back edge continues to approach STL area from SW. Ingestion of mositure from area of convection SE of STL may still give us another inch or two before dry slot works in, though.

Feature to watch is the area of precip over south central KS and far north OK, associated with the second area of low pressure. If this holds together it could give us a second shot of snow tomorrow, but moisture is an issue, and none of the models predict much QPF once the main band over extreme E and NE MO, west central IL, and IA moves through.

Back