212 Degree Difference-Vostok Antarctica/Bullhead City, AZ

What would it be like to go from one extreme to another rather quickly?

Kinda reminds me of something they have down there called the "300 Club". When the temperature gets to -100F or lower at the South Pole, some of the researchers who are stationed there will huddle inside a +200F sauna. When they can't stand the heat anymore, they will run outside wearing nothing but shoes and a facemask.

Here is a link that shows pictures of researchers joining the 300 Club. (don't worry...these pictures have been censored. some may still find these pictures a bit disturbing, however)

http://ast.leeds.ac.uk/haverah/spaseman/club300.shtml

What would it be like to go from one extreme to another rather quickly?

Kinda reminds me of something they have down there called the "300 Club". When the temperature gets to -100F or lower at the South Pole, some of the researchers who are stationed there will huddle inside a +200F sauna. When they can't stand the heat anymore, they will run outside wearing nothing but shoes and a facemask.

Here is a link that shows pictures of researchers joining the 300 Club. (don't worry...these pictures have been censored. some may still find these pictures a bit disturbing, however)

http://ast.leeds.ac.uk/haverah/spaseman/club300.shtml

:confused2: :confused2: :confused2: :shock: :shock: :shock:

***faints***

Whoops-I forgot to say...

-112 degrees is the coldest I've seen so far, from looking at this website. Even though it is technically "daytime", aren't they still in complete darkness until September/October?

:shock:

Oh.... my.... GOD! :sad2: That is crazy! That is actually very dangerous for your body if you do that, with such a huge contrast in temperatures in a short period of time. Something like that could kill you probably!

I wonder if anyone has actually died from doing that. From reading this, the insides of their lungs were coated with frost, and they go through violent coughing spells. :shock:

The part that *really* struck me was when the guy mentioned that his flesh had frozen in the -100 F temps, and he could hear it cracking as he went back to the base. :shock: :p :shock:

Right now, it's -114 at Vostok-only 14 degrees away from the coldest recorded temperature on Earth: -128 degrees F set in 1983. There was an unoffical temperature of -131 degrees F in 1997.

By the way... -114 degrees F is colder than dry ice, which has a surface temperature of -109 degrees F.

8)

Back