2020-03-02 EVENT: AR/TN/MO/IL/KY

Pretty shocked to see the extent of damage and casualties. Having watched some of the preliminary videos before I went to bed last night, I hadn't gotten the impression it was quite that bad. :(

Davies is money as usual. You know I'd look for that later in the season down here. I'm in Tenn. Really I was a little surprised in early March. I'm all about subtle westerly over southwest slop, but I just faded it. When the KPAH cell weakened, it was off to ESPN for college basketball Big Monday.

In retrospect the advection of favorable parameters was forecastable. Soundings looked like great lapse rates but not much low-level CAPE. Forecast soundings had it but I get so skeptical of that. However action at the surface with the fronts hinted verification. SRH was never in question. I even texted to a buddy the KPAH cell is riding a boundary. It's like I saw it but I ignored it.

While that type of call is not part of my professional work, it still felt mighty odd to wake up to the sad news Super Tuesday.

I watxhed the suoercell produce the tornado. It was a lone cell and I'm guessing it was very strong, given it has one on hthe ground from Nashville to Gordonsville in Smith Co where we live. I was up and watching the radar. It was amazing to watch with a 25 dead final count its the deadliest tornado outbreak in Tennessee since the modern Era. Far surpassing the 2008 super Tuesday that I also witnessed. This the second time we had a march 2, 2012, but this one was much worse. The damage in Putnam is worst I've ever seen in Tennessee in my all years. Since my dad home just missed a direct hit by one lawn, I feel mighty lucky

March 2, 2012 tore up southeast Tennessee, but not really Middle Tenn. Still 2020 is obviously worse due to the loss of life. In both cases things lit up on an outflow boundary. Again 2020 March 2 really acted more like May with that relentless boundary rider on a somewhat (relative for season) subtle shortwave. However upper winds were ripping, per March.

Back