2016-03-07 REPORTS: KS, OK, TX

So this was actually a satisfying first chase of the year for me, I just got home and really tired so I'll just say a few things and post a couple pics. It was satisfying because my target of Medicine Lodge, KS to Alva, OK was the only spot on the whole dryline in OK or KS (and most of tx i beleive) that produced a storm, plus I only saw 2 other chasers the whole time, and I got some decent structure and scenery out of it. Also it was one of those types of things where right when I thought I was doomed, the last Cu of the evening finally burst through the cap when everything before it had failed.

Left Manhattan at 11am for Medicine Lodge with small hopes, but mostly just to get out there, I liked the dl near the KS/OK border because it looked a little better in the mid levels (cooler 700s,, and i believe stronger) and there had been more sunshine in southern KS than in OK (although that cool air did advect in eventually from SE), and it was closer to home lol. Got to Med Lodge and kept sinkin south to Alva watching shitty Cu die and then finally around 6pm one made it up SW of Med Lodge right in our beloved Red Hills (Joking). Anyways nice structure against setting sun nice scenery, Just a really satisfying LP on a day I thought was lost and everyone else seemed to be further south.

DSCN4166.JPG

DSCN4168.JPG
DSCN4196.JPG DSCN4206.JPG DSCN4207.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4180.JPG
    DSCN4180.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 109
Our chase ended up pretty unsatisfying thanks to the dry line cap. We left Norman at 11:30 on our way to an initial target of Clinton, OK. We arrived to an awesome cumulus field and at some lunch at McDonalds and did some homework while waiting for initiation. We eventually adjusted a few miles west to Foss to hang our with some friends who were stopped there. We left at about 5:45 to look around the area and see what was around, since it didn't look like initiation would happen. As we were north of Clinton, we saw a tower go up to our northwest. We decided to chase it down and caught up just south of Woodward, but it was dying at that point, so we decided to head home. By the time we caught up, it was too dark to make out any features due to a lack of lightning. At least we did see a good sunset. 7cf3e747f46120d8969032aa43695ebf.jpg
406d95b18563a1c2b4da4a1869563bb8.jpg
067317b860f8e23d22b911caa3d9206e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack mobile app

Easiest bust I've had in a long time. Rolled out of Norman around 1:30 CST while clearing was still underway along the dryline. Initially were heading for Elk City but thought better of it as the dryline was mixing east at a decent clip and what appeared to be a slight bulge was shaping up in the southwest corner of the state between Hollis and Altus. Didn't fully commit south (thank god) but cut south on US 183 and decided to just sit west of Cordell and wait to see if an actual full-blown Cu field could materialize. Surface winds were pretty well backed the entire time and the moisture content felt fine but the dryline starting retreating about and hour or two before sunset and the few attempts at CI south of Vernon never took. That shortwave ejecting early and being halfway to the Dakotas screwed the pooch because there wasn't a lick of upper level support and the lingering cloud debris certainly didn't help matters. Called it around 5-5:30 CST and made it back to Norman right around 7:15 so I'm not complaining at all.

Back