• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

2015-08-02 Event: IA

Sad to say, but that's one of the most beautiful tornadoes I think has occurred in Iowa in recent times. Just goes to show meteorology as a science has a ways to go still with predicting storm-scale details that make the difference between a marginal supercell and a high-visibility, high-contrast tornadic supercell like this. I didn't see much in the way of low-level shear in that area. However, there was something of a front, but it looked kind of weak. There was definitely tons of CAPE, probably resulting from moisture pooling along the front.

I studied the satellite and radar loops leading up to this afternoon, and there were not any boundaries apparent in the vicinity other than the approaching cold front far to the northwest. The storm developed a thin appendage on the northwest flank, then seemed to tighten up rapidly once it ingested/merged with a smaller cell to its west. The storms were moving SE but backbuilding to the NW in a Jarrell-esque manner. There wasn't even a noticeable kink in the cold front that would have pointed to this happening where it did. The storms went up about 20 miles south of the cold front's visible radar echo - clearly forced by the front, but not interacting directly with it at the surface. As Jeff said, clearly the strong CAPE had a lot to do with it. The storm ingested something and made the most of it. Possibly that merging cell. One of those freak mesoscale accidents I don't think I'd even see coming if it happened tomorrow right overhead.

Extreme instability makes up for a lot of things....there wasn't much for surface winds/convergence but enough veering with height to get the job done.

Back