2014-08-23 FCST: SD/MN

I've seen some pretty goofy hodos, but this is right up there:

984175_10101069989978521_7847419467213043675_n.jpg

The NAM for the past couple runs has been deepening and ejecting a surface low on Saturday over eastern SD/western MN. Low level veering and shear looks very impressive on these solutions. Huge curving hodographs, insane SRH values. Moderate instability south of the warm front, a sub 1000 low, and tornado parameters are spiking pretty high right on the front.

That's the NAM though. Huge differences on the GFS, which is later and weaker with the low.

We've got a serious shot at tornadoes if the NAM is close, but the GFS looks like another lackluster MCS play with weak forcing, shear, and little focus for initiation. I'm more inclined to side with the higher resolution NAM at this time range, even though it's been leading us on the past couple setups. I'm already up in South Dakota, and will hang around just to see if this verifies since I've already made the trip. The NAM solution would just several tornadoes on the warm front, although the upper level support isn't there, so storm mode and maintenance might be a problem. Still, the effective shear is more than enough to maintain supercells near the warm front (>40 knots) and we should have some forcing off the dryline and trailing cold front with an open cap. More meridional flow suggests north moving storms. They might overrun the relatively narrow instability axis fairly quickly unless they can turn right on the warm front, or mature quickly and come off the dryline/cold front further south. The surface pattern isn't too shabby in itself though even with this fairly narrow instability axis. We saw a similar pattern last fall put down the Wayne EF4, close to the low, on the warm front, but that day had more robust UA flow I believe.

The pessimist would say this is the outlier, wishcasting solution, and we're going to have another round of ongoing MCS play.

The original hodo you showed is pretty, but the LI was poop. Latest 12z NAM shows 11+ EHI along the SD/MN border at 3PM. NAM also brings your LI up to around 7 with 3800 cape and 480 SRH, so now I'm convinced you've got a potential 1-2 solid tornadoes near the triple point somewhere between the border and Aberdeen. As for today, I'm hoping we can get a couple tors going down here in Nebraska.

I've been eyeing Saturday most of the week since I had to sit out Wednesday. Same general area Royce mentioned above, although I'm thinking it might end up a bit further south as these things typically do. The good news this morning is that it appear the GFS may be coming more in line with what the NAM's been saying all along. At least as of the 6z GFS, they are starting to look like they're at least in the same ballpark. Hopefully the trend continues with the 12z GFS when it gets in. Thankfully it's a close enough target that I can wait to pull the trigger until tomorrow morning sometime.

FYI: The date should be 8/23, not 8/22 :)

The original hodo you showed is pretty, but the LI was poop.

Well yeah, that was taken right on or just north of the warm front to emphasize the directional shear near the warm front. The instability obviously isn't going to be as good right there. NAM was showing moderate to strong instability in the warm sector south of the front, where I'd expect storms to initiate. That hodo comes more into play once we've got a mature updraft that's approaching the warm front.

12z NAM does not have such a pretty surface pattern. It doesn't bomb and eject the low like it was doing earlier. It still has a sharp warm front with kicking surface winds and low level jet though. We've got a little broader instability axis maybe, so hopefully storms won't be confined to a narrow region and a short window of opportunity.

Junk along the warm front might screw this one up, but looking at a target of Aberdeen by mid to late afternoon now. That's going to depend on where the warm front and other features wind up.

I must say I myself am keeping a close eye on this one as well. As Skip mentioned, good instability along the warm front, moderate shear, excellent turning in the low levels. I will wait until 00z models come in tonight before making any final decision. Otherwise I may leave the twin cities tomorrow morning and head out to south Dakota.

Back