2011-06-24 REPORTS: SD, WY

dmckemy

EF1
Storms fired off early in the day in Wyoming, and while conditions weren't extremely favorable for tornadoes, the environment was supportive of supercells. Took a short drive southwest of Rapid City and stopped just north of Lusk to watch some of the thunderstorms roll by. The lightning was very impressive with the storm, and I managed to catch a few strikes with my camera.

storm1.jpg

The storms in Wyoming did have some hail with them, but were turning linear and weren't very impressive on radar. I started heading back to the north a little bit and noticed an impressive cell in Montana that was making it's way into Western South Dakota. I shot up north to catch it and happened to intersect it in Rapid City. The storm on radar had decent rotation (though no tornado warning was issued), and large hail had been reported with it (I think a 3 inch hail stone was reported in the Black Hills from this storm before it hit Rapid City). I personally did not see any large scale or violent rotation in the storm, but did see some curious lowerings and a very nice shelf cloud with the storm.

storm4.jpg

storm3.jpg

The image below is a video-grab of one of the lowerings I saw (along with some close lightning!). From my vantage point, I couldn't really see any strong rotation. I've also included radar and velocity images with my position on GPS via GRLevel3.

CanonVixiaPhotos020.jpg

CanonVixiaPhotos022.jpg

CanonVixiaPhotos021.jpg

Back