• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

2011-05-24 El Reno OK EF-5

One thing I have taken great interest in is the variation in wind speed between the main circulation and any subvortices. For instance will the 2.6 mile wide El Reno tornado five days after this we saw doppler scans over 300 in some of the subvortices. Whereas the tornado only got rated an ef3 based on the damage.

One thing I have taken great interest in is the variation in wind speed between the main circulation and any subvortices. For instance will the 2.6 mile wide El Reno tornado five days after this we saw doppler scans over 300 in some of the subvortices. Whereas the tornado only got rated an ef3 based on the damage.

The ratings are based on engineering damage reports correlating to specific wind velocities. An EF5 might only produce EF3 or lower ratings depending on what it strikes for the survey. Radar is not official. I disagree with this, if a calibrated radar can provide an accurate wind speed. I witnessed the Red Rock, OK tornado on April 26, 1991 and it was only rated an F4. However, Dr. Howard Bluestein's Doppler crew measured a 270 mph (+) wind speed. For my own satisfaction, I rate the tornado as an F5.

I am certainly not confusing these two, I have studied the El Reno 2.6 mile wide extensively because it interested me so greatly. That one in particular bothers me with the rating. There is no reason that tornado shouldn't be an EF5

Back