2008-02-05 DISC: TX / AR / MO / IL / KY / TN / MS

radar loops

Hello folks,

I apologize it has taken a while, but if anyone is interested, I've compiled radar loops from both Paducah (PAH) and Louisville (LVX), KY and have placed them in my archives.

I also have a rather extensive mosaic loop from the Southeast US that ranges from around 21z on the 5th through 06z on the 6th that provides a nice overview of the event.

Loops vary in length, but broadband connections will handle these best. Over 70 images are required to load for the local radar loops and over 100 images for the mosaic loop, so be patient.

Links to the overall archive (I have a few other radar grabs and one VIS loop here) and the radar loops, themselves can be found in my Event List, found here:

http://www.mhartman-wx.com/mwx_eventList.html

I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I wanted to show this picture of the Columbia Gulf fire (that shot up 400 feet and was seen over 100 miles away). I live about 5 miles from Columbia Gulf and you could actually hear the roar of the fire if you stayed quiet long enough. The flames were ablaze for over two hours. The flames were so bright it was like a continuous sun rise. I don't believe the national media ever published a photo of the blaze and I just wanted everyone to see it.

Here in Lafayette you can still see the tornado's path in spots, especially the tree line damage. It will be a night I will never forget...

The photo is blurry for a number of reasons, so I do apologize for that.
26066_1351157066644_1462901779_30966704_2338177_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday marked the 10 year anniversary of the Super Tuesday outbreak. It produced a very impressive 5 EF-4 tornadoes, including the extremely long tracked Arkansas tornado which may have had a legitimate argument for EF-5 status, depending on who you talk to. A surprising significance of this outbreak is this is where the Tornado Debris Signature was first discovered, coming on an EF-4 in North Alabama that was in the vicinity of an experimental Dual Pol radar.

This specific EF-4 has been a very interesting topic of mine over the years, as it occurred at about 3:30 AM local time and had approximately 250 J/KG of SBCAPE to work with. The North Alabama activity is often overlooked in lieu of the more widespread activity further north and west earlier in the evening, but the environment over North Alabama that night is one of the most fascinating tornadic environments of the modern era IMHO.

Back