2/4/2011: Southern Plains and Deep South

Major forecast bust down here in N TX (as well as parts of OK and AR) with regard to snowfall amounts. Many of the medium to long range models busted horribly underdoing the amount of moisture available with this system tracking out of the Gulf. Once again were learning the HRRR has been an outlier in handling this system the best (see related thread in Weather and Chasing). Original forecast snow total were for a T-2" along and north of I-20 in N TX with 1-3" South of I-20 and East of I-35. Well WAA and moisture were sig stronger than NAM and GFS indicated (ala 2/11/10 in DFW--12"+). So far the DFW metroplex has recieved 4-5" with isolated higher amounts. And as you know this come right on the heels of a crippling ice/sleet/snow strom this past week that sent rolling power outages throughout the state

Below are pics outside my front door in SW side of Ft. Worth at 8am and its still snowing big wet flakes at 9am

Quite a change in the forecast, indeed. I'm on the north side of Dallas for work. Yesterday the forecast was for an inch or so, and as of right now, we have 5-6" of snow. It's finally winding down now with the last band of snow moving east and falling apart.

I havent worked Tuesday, Wednesday, half of Thursday, and now today because of winter weather in the metroplex.

Here in Houston was a huge bust. The ice is there but the 1-3 inches of snow accumulation is nonexistent. Very isolated pockets of snow in Harris County.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know whats really going on in Tulsa? The NWS website is not giving me any clear cut information. One part says up to an inch, another portion of the site says 4 to 6. If we get an inch I'm ok, if 3+ I need to leave the office now.

NWs website is pretty clear, remember that the "point-n-click" section is their official forecast, so even if other products give differing numbers - click it and you'll see it.

This Afternoon: Snow. High near 22. Southwest wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

NWs website is pretty clear, remember that the "point-n-click" section is their official forecast, so even if other products give differing numbers - click it and you'll see it.

This Afternoon: Snow. High near 22. Southwest wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

It's clear now Dale, I think they must have been updating it when I first went out there about 11:45 because the official forecast was only calling for "up to an inch of additional accumulation". Looks like the metro has been fully updated and they're now saying 3 to 5 or 3 to 6 depending on the suburb.

Yep, looks like the 7am zones said no accumulation, the 9am zones said up to 2", and now the noon forecast package says a full 4".

We've had 2-3 here outside KJLN. Yesterday there wasn't any mention of accumulating snow. Where did this come from? I admit after the big snow I have been too tired to pay real close attention to models. Today's snow really isn't helping our situation. More forecasted for Sunday. Awesome. The only good news I have seen lately was yesterdays 336 hr GFS that had 60+ dews in eastern KS!

It's an absolutely beautiful winter wonderland here in Richardson, TX; about 10 miles N. of Downtown Dallas. Silent, peaceful.. the little boy and artist in me has thrilled to this, and both neighborhood children and dogs have been in party mode all day. There is even a nearby small hill in a local park and both kids and parents were there as the children sledrode. I measured a total of close to 4.5" in several spots around my house. Totally awesome.

Yea last night when I saw the radar and the large snow bulb blowing up southwest of Dallas, I knew there would have to be some WSW instead of WWA issued.

Here in N OKC we were forecast for flurries in the morning, well it has been light and moderate snow constantly all day. We picked up probably 2 fresh inches of powder. Caught alot of people off guard I believe, as there were many people that attempted to get out of the house for the first time this week today. Also the local university was open and I think they regretted that decision.

Trey - just curious what your totals were today?

At this point I've picked up about 2 or so additional inches, looks like a bit more for later this evening could be moving in out of washington county. I'm not expecting a whole lot out of that.

Sunday is going to add another few inches. Tuesday/Weds they're saying another 6 to 9.

Trey, I went into work today also not expecting much in the way of snow. About the time it started to really come down the NWS issued a Winter Storm Warning, you have got to be kidding. We are still working to clear major roads in the Tulsa area. I had two officers spend the entire day getting 18 wheelers and other vehicles off an on ramp where they have been since Tuesday.

With the possibility of more snow it will just get worse. I think all the Yankees heading south for the Super Bowl caused this pattern change.

Trey, I went into work today also not expecting much in the way of snow. About the time it started to really come down the NWS issued a Winter Storm Warning, you have got to be kidding. We are still working to clear major roads in the Tulsa area. I had two officers spend the entire day getting 18 wheelers and other vehicles off an on ramp where they have been since Tuesday.

With the possibility of more snow it will just get worse. I think all the Yankees heading south for the Super Bowl caused this pattern change.
Yeah this was my first day to go into work since Monday. Streets were passable at a fairly slow speed until downtown. Once my wife and I got downtown it was damn near impossible. It took me 22 mins to go a mile...

Back