2/04/2007-2/9/2007 NOW: PA / NY (WINTER PRECIP / LES)

More outrageous snowfall totals from the Lake Effect Blizzard. This as of 9am EST on Tuesday.

...OSWEGO COUNTY...
PARISH 46.0" 710 AM 2/6
SCRIBA 45.0" 600 AM 2/6 27" LAST 12 HOURS
OSWEGO 31.0" 600 AM 2/6 CITY OF OSWEGO
PALERMO 29.0" 515 AM 2/6 BAND MOVED SOUTH
WEST MONROE 25.0" 600 AM 2/6 11" LAST 12 HOURS

Go to weather.gov and type in Pierrepont Manor, NY. Forecasted snowfall through Wednesday is 32 to 48 inches.

The band has narrowed but radar returns have increased. I see some 35dbz's popping up over the lake.

Another incredible report from Oswego county...

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
1227 PM EST TUE FEB 6 2007

6 HOUR SNOWFALL

NEW YORK

...OSWEGO COUNTY...
MEXICO 26.0 1215 PM 2/6
OSWEGO 12.0 1200 PM 2/6

26"/6h...that is averaging 4-4.5" per hour!

Storm totals are 57" for Mexico and 43.6" for Oswego. Thats gonna be even higher in those areas around Pierrepont Manor if forecast realizes.

Has anybody seen updated totals for the entire storm? Photos aren't really helping because there is so much compression in the snow.

I feel like there is a lack of information coming from that region. Hopefully, it will all get taken care of when the storm ends and we will get a nice summary of the whole event.

Weather observers...keep clearing those snow boards every six hours! To clear up any confusion I said snow board not snowboard, there's a difference.

A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST
THURSDAY.

INTENSE LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO MEANDER ACROSS OSWEGO COUNTY DURING THE NEXT TWO DAYS.

SNOW WILL FALL AT THE RATE OF AT LEAST 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR WITHIN THE BAND LATER THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY AFTERNOON...

SO AREAS WHERE THE BAND PERSISTS WILL SEE ADDITIONAL
ACCUMULATIONS BY THURSDAY AFTERNOON OF ONE TO THREE FEET...
ESPECIALLY OVER NORTHERN SECTIONS. THIS MAY BRING THE FIVE DAY STORM TOTAL TO OVER 100 INCHES IN SOME SPOTS.

8-9 ft. of snow !! That's what a warm winter will do when the pendulum comes back and all of sudden it's deep winter time...and the lakes are not frozen. The snow bands have been very persistent on radar. One of our customers outside of Oswego has had 6 ft. of snow since it started. She just started laughing when I asked her how they get around. She said at one point she had total whiteout and thunder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I can't get sick of reading this.

Sandy Creek, NY:

Tonight: 25 to 31"

Thursday: 12 to 18"

Thursday Night: 5 to 9"

Currently as of 9:00 pm EST on Wednesday there is one monstrous band that is firmly reestablished along and East of Lake Ontario in Upstate New York. There is undoubtedly quite a bit of thundersnow and snowfall rates of 4-5" per hour or more.

Some TV Meteorologists have publicly said also that this storm would likely bring in excess of 100" to some places. This last happened a few years ago in Boonville, NY (if I am not mistaken).

PS: NWS BUF is forecasting 2-3 FEET of new snow tonight in the Tug Hill Plateau!!! Whew.

2/4/07-2/?/07: NOW: Incredible Lake Effect Snowstorm- NY/PA

The incredible lake effect snowstorm continues to pound the Tug Hill Plateau. Some recent storm totals as of 8:00 EST Thursday are at the bottom of the post:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
753 AM EST THU FEB 8 2007

...TREMENDOUS SNOWFALL CONTINUES IN A VERY NARROW BAND EAST OF LAKE ONTRAIO...SNOWFALL RATES OF 4 TO 5 INCHES AN HOUR CONTINUED OVERNIGHT IN A VERY NARROW BAND EAST OF LAKE ONTARIO. THIS IS TRULY A CLASSIC LAKE EFFECT SNOW STORM. THE BAND OF HEAVIEST SNOW IS ONLY ON THE ORDER OF 10 MILES WIDE AND HAS BEEN MOVING FIRST NORTH THEN SOUTH ACROSS PARTS OF OSWEGO JEFFERSON AND LEWIS COUNTIES OVERNIGHT. THE REASON FOR THE TREMENDOUS SNOWFALL IS A PERFECT LARGE SCALE WEATHER PATTERN WHICH HAS SET UP TO PRODUCE AND EXTEDNED STORM OF
THIS SCALE. THE UPPER AIR PATTERN OVER THE PAST WEEK BROUGHT SOME OF THE COLDEST AIR IN THE HEMISPHERE DOWN ACROSS THE YET UNFROZEN GREAT LAKES. FOR NEARLY A WEEK THESE CONDITIONS HAVE PRODUCED A NEARLY UNCHANGING WIND DIRECTION ALLOWING A VERY NARROW BUT INTENSE BAND OF HEAVY SNOW THAT PUMMELLED THE REGION EAST OF LAKE ONTARIO. ALTHOUGH THIS AREA IS USED TO HEAVY LOCALIZED LAKE EFFECT SNOW EACH WINTER, THIS CURRENT STORM IS TESTING THE METTLE OF THE SNOW SAVVY RESIDENTS.
OVER 6 FEET OF SNOW HAS BEEN REPORTED AT A FEW LOCATIONS AS OF 800AM THIS MORNING. WE WANT TO THANK OUR VOLUNTEER SNOW OBSERVERS FOR THEIR DEDICATION AND SUPPORT IN PROVIDING THE UP TO DATE SNOWFALL REPORTS IN VERY DIFFICULT CONDITIONS.

NEW YORK
NO. OSCEOLA 73.0"
PARISH 77.0"

The snowfall totals currently are approaching record breaking amounts. The following statement was issued on January 13, 1997 and indicates what the records are for New York State!!

REPORTS WERE RECEIVED FROM SEVERAL DIFFERENT SPOTTERS ON THE TUG HILL WITH ALMOST UNPRECEDENTED AMOUNTS. TWO SPOTTERS IN REDFIELD IN NORTHEAST OSWEGO COUNTY REPORTED 65 AND 67 INCHES RESPECTIVELY (IN A 48 HOUR PERIOD)...A SPOTTER IN NORTH OSCEOLA TOTALLED 75 INCHES...AND THE HAMLET OF MONTAGUE CAUGHT A PRODIGIOUS 91 INCHES. 40 INCHES OF THIS FELL IN AN 8 HOUR PERIOD EARLY SUNDAY AND APPROXIMATELY 60 INCHES IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. ABOUT 68 INCHES WAS ON THE GROUND THIS MORNING THERE.

SUCH SNOWFALL TOTALS EXCEED ANY AMOUNT ON RECORD IN NEW YORK STATE FOR SUCH A SHORT PERIOD...BUT IT MUST BE REMEMBERED THAT THESE STATIONS ARE LOCATED IN AREAS WHICH PREVIOUSLY HAD NO OBSERVERS.

Well, I'm not sure how close to a record it is... According to this clip from an AP story, it's not too close (note that the information comes from a BUF NWSFO met):

AP Story said:
Forecasters expected up to 100 inches in places by the end of the weekend, but said the snow emergency still has a way to go to make history."We are shying away from calling this a record event," said Mike Pukajlo, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Buffalo, said Wednesday.

"There are several areas in that region that often get hammered during a winter. Seventy, eighty inches is uncommon for sure, but it's not highly unusual, especially over a several-day event like this," Pukajlo said.
--> Upstate N.Y. expects 100-inch snow dump (MSNBC.com)

Ahhh, as a former member of the media...never trust the media. Even the AP. The statement I posted was an NWS Buffalo statement. I can't imagine what would have changed since 1997 for them to say that 100" of snow in 1 event won't be a record. I'm actually quite baffled by that statement since they went on the record in 1997 saying the 91" amount was a record. Hmm.

The lake effect band has pretty much shutdown. I think a synoptic scale disturbance has moved through the area, but the band is supposed to reform tonight and last until Sunday.

Back