12/29/06-12/31/06 NOW: KS / CO / NE / SD (WINTER PRECIP)

Heaviest snow band here in MN and I'm pretty much right in the middle of it about 50 miles west/northwest of the Minneapolis metro area. Cullen went out and measured just under 6" of new accumulation since the changeover about 9:30 this morning. Pics were taken about 2:30 central.

061231001.jpg

The neighbor's driveway about 5 minutes after he shoveled it.

061231002.jpg

South Central NE is screwwwwwed up. I'm just now to Grand Island and have seem some very thick ice accumulations. Some areas seem like they must have 1-2 inches of ice. Pretty much every gas station I stopped at between Kearney and Grand Island have been closed without power. I drove north into Grand Island hoping to find one and just did. I topped off in Kearney so that wasn't the problem. I am damn hungry! This station is a sight for sore belly. While finding gas in Kearney I found it quite hard. Many were running out and others were just lined up with cars. I found some pay at the pump BP setup. Anyway...amazing storm. I've never seen ice this bad. I've found some real bad areas off I80 with many poles snapped. There looked to be some steel fence posts bent flat to the ground, but they may have just tipped over that way. There is a stretch of huge wooden electrial lines just south of the city here smashed to the ground...the big big lines.

Back