12/29/06-12/31/06 NOW: KS / CO / NE / SD (WINTER PRECIP)

Mike Hollingshead

I figure there are at least a few in the area that might like to chat about this snowstorm as it unfolds the next couple days.

I'm currently in Cozad NE and likely will have to stay put here today and tomorrow(though maybe there will be a window tomorrow to move). The rain/snow line seemed to be very sharp as I got here. I wonder how much freezing rain will even happen. It was still above freezing in Lexington as I got there and it was rain then, or at least just before there. Then as I moved nw a bit further it quickly changed to sleet, then just as fast to all snow. I'm not sure how far it is between Lexington and Cozad, but it's not that far. Everything here is already snow covered . It's interesting that snow intensities have not been changing the flake size much. They continue to stay rather large. I hope nw KS leaves some moisture for us up here, and the storms in TX don't get too wild with precip. Dean, freezing rain there? Anyone in nw KS on here? That looks wild.

Edit: I guess TX should be added as well. I'd do it if I could.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mike and everyone,
Yea had some freezing rain / sleet early but now all snow. As of 3:00 PM 2" of snow. First heavy band put down 1/2 " snow in 15 min . The pic was taken in my front yard as this band went through.

BTW you are still welcome to ride out the storm at my place if you could still get here. Another heavy snow band has moved in since I started typing this and radar to my S is very impressive.

Maybe 4 inches now in Cozad. Wind has picked up. Will the nw KS area ever move north lol. Finally got a fairly decent snowband setting up n-s through here.

Wonder if this will post. Gotta love crap motel net. Had nothing for an hour and now it is spotty as hell again.

My wife and I are sitting in Colby, Ks right now, we arrived around 3p.m. Civil emergencies are continously being broadcast telling people it's illegal to operate a vehicle that isn't 4 wheel drive , I thought that was kind of cool.:cool:

Anyways, its 7:00p.m. now and its seems more like blowing snow than anything but more moisture is heading up from Dodge City, will wait to see what happens. Looks to be about 5-7 inches on the ground right now. The snow coming down looks really dry and is in the form of tiny snow flakes and is being blown all over the place by the very strong north winds.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=gld&product=NTP&overlay=11101111&loop=no

That area south of Colby is insane(yes I realize it was sleet and is probably off, but still). Sean....drive down there, lol. And it is filling back in in that same spot. Has to be something cool looking in that area.

As for here, it has been snowing moderately to heavily. The monster flakes are back in full force right now. Some law enforcement person reported 6 inches for here a long time ago but I think he had been drinking. I'd say now there may be 6 here in Cozad. I'm a lousy snow chaser, no waterproof boots and no sort of ruler. Man I'd love to keep these big flakes all night long. Maybe I'll post a picture from here if I can figure out a way to do it.

Piotrowski's here running special programs, snow exceding 3+ inches an hour S of Colby @ 40, we're going S+!!!!!!! Flakes going from light snow to 1/2 dollars. People are stuck in snow banks, parking lots and everythings closing. All hotels are sold out on I-70, it's a nightmare! :eek:

MODs, New Mexico should be added to this thread. A very persistent snow band has extended from east central to north central NM for most of the past 24 hours, centered on Santa Fe. Both major interstates in northern NM, I-40 and I-25, are closed for long stretches. Here in Santa Fe, where I am vacationing over the New Years holiday, we have had at least 14 inches, with some reports of up to 22 inches nearby. And it is still snowing hard! I will try to post a few pictures tomorrow.

Snow rates have climbed dramatically. It had been mod snow for an hour and is now very very heavy snow. It's plastered with half dollar and larger flakes. Just tons of them and it's been doing it for a good while now. My bushes are going bye bye fast now out the window. I hope it can pull west now and not move east any more. This is some of the heaviest snow I've ever seen, here in Cozad(between North Platte and Kearney).

MODs, New Mexico should be added to this thread. A very persistent snow band has extended from east central to north central NM for most of the past 24 hours, centered on Santa Fe. Both major interstates in northern NM, I-40 and I-25, are closed for long stretches. Here in Santa Fe, where I am vacationing over the New Years holiday, we have had at least 14 inches, with some reports of up to 22 inches nearby. And it is still snowing hard! I will try to post a few pictures tomorrow.

Here in White Rock, New Mexico we had about 8 inches by Friday morning before it stopped snowing more or less for the afternoon. The snow returned in full force around midnight and we have had another 8 inches or so with the snow still falling.

The majority of the roads in Northern New Mexico are also snow sporting closed signs as the road crews can't keep up with the rate of snowfall.

Holy cow... major ice storm underway now in Dodge City as surface temps have dropped to 30-31F...with temps continuing to drop to 27-28F by midday. 88D loops show a narrow corridor of winter precip essentially training right over southwest KS... and this will continue most of the day. Should see some significant damage with this ice storm as winds will continue to howl 25-40 mph... Wow! Already have at least 1/4" to 1/2" ice build-up on north-facing surfaces.... it's about to get really, really ugly here in Dodge... it's even worse in like Garden City and points west.

Looks like the SE CO plains will be the big winners: already 2-3 feet being reported from the Sangres all the way to KS and there's still a good foot to go! 10-12 ft drifts in Kiowa county and still snowing hard. That area is going to paralyzed for a long time. Reports say it's worse than the '97 blizzard. This is definitely one for the record books.

Back