11/23/04 NOW: TX, LA, MS

Newton TX

Tornadoic storm moving toward the the town of Newton TX Tornado Likey Tornado Warning Newton County at 5:12 PM. This is a bad one.

Tornado Damage Just South of Newton TX

I talked to the Newton county sheriff’s office damage reports are coming in at this time SSW of the city of Newton at 5:29 PM.

I screen shot some radars from the Ft. Polk, LA radar site. There was a tornadic storm about 10 miles to the north. I can't remember the last time I saw this kind of definition on a radar. I can pinpoint the circulation on base velocity, so it must be pretty big. The shots are base level, which works out to about 600 feet of elevation where the center of the storm is. It's either a really low wall cloud, or a tornado that's pulled quite a bit of debris into the air.

http://www.amazingcheese.com/StormTrack/HuttonFar.gif
http://www.amazingcheese.com/StormTrack/Hu...HuttonClose.gif

Why I'm up right now, I have absolutely no idea...

but the tornado outbreak continues with RAPID rotation over downtown New Orleans, LA visisble per local radar. No reports of damage so far, but deaths, serious injuries, and damage reports from TX to MS extending to AL in this significant nighttime event.

:(

As noted I was stuck on business travel on this chase day. On the way back from Seguin on Interstate 10 we encountered some straight line winds at about 7:40 pm. The winds top at about 45 mph and seemed to align with the passage of the front. I heard reports of tornadic cells to the north and saw one good cell to the south. The only good thing to say about this day is that I learned, for future reference, that east of San Antonio to Houston could be excellent chase country. Its fairly flat, the trees are not to tall and I10 is an excellent east/west root outside of the urban areas. So now I have three chase directions to plan for, west into the big bend region, north along 281 up to Dallas and east on I10. South is limited on 16, 37 and 281. I35 south is not a great option due to road limitations. Oh well there is always next spring.

I've just had reports on the news here this evening that at least four people are dead in LA now — most of the damage they showed looked about F2, possible F3 (making the big assumption that all the homes they showed were well-constructed — but there's another thing: they were all homes, in a residential neighborhood, not trailers). Odd how much this is going like that whole 11/21–23/1992 outbreak . . . that had a big one — a long-track, F4 event over N MS — at night. THis now could have a while to go, and it sure doesn't sound like chasing weather — y'all watch yourselves there, y'hear?

EDIT 11/27 — my quoted death toll is too high; only seems to be one death.

Back