11/23/04 NOW: TX, LA, MS

Might as well shift the discussion over to a now thread, as two T boxes are already issued along with active supercells. Of particular interest at the moment is the cell west of Austin, TX which could have the potential to become surface based over the next hour. In fact, I see a tornado warning was just issued for this cell.

Glen

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
SMITH COUNTY IN NORTHEAST TEXAS

* UNTIL 1100 AM CST

* AT 1022 AM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 7 MILES
SOUTHEAST OF LINDALE...OR ABOUT 8 MILES NORTH OF TYLER...MOVING
NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

Just a reminder to all:
Target Area Rules:

3) Prohibited content. Stormtrack strives for a very high signal/noise ratio in Target Area since many chasers use this forum on the road and can't sift through pages of fluff. These items are prohibited and will result in Target Area privilege suspension:
-- NOAA/NWS products or bulletins posted in their entirety. If you post such a product, trim it to the bare minimum and always include informational comments.

So, just a friendly reminder to not post NWS products in their entirety (or almost entirety) and to always make a comment on the product being posted...

earlier discrete cells near Austin have merged into more of a convective complex, yet ion the NE side an HP type cell has recently developed very strong rotation (including TVS). Torn warn for Robertson county, looks to be headed toward Franklin. A few weak tornados were reported earlier from this complex.

Glen

Just got back in from chasing for work.

In Smith County, with the tornado warning, I was able to observe a good part of the storm after it passed my position. No rotation or ominous features observed.

Hail was the problem. We were at I-20 and Hwy 69 in Lindale and got wind-driven quarter sized hail, and went to a home just to our east where we shot some 1.5" hail. That hail dented cars, but shattered no windows.

News flash! "SantaLand" on I-20 in Smith/Van Zandt county has been seriously damaged. This is one of those drive through christmas light places. It's one of the biggest in East Texas. We just got off the phone with the owner who is in tears.

Add: Video will be on KLTV.com later today.

mp

Situation becames more interesting: SPC has issued a PDS tornado watch on the border Luisiana-Texas. The convection from the radar seems to be more "sheared". Let's see what happen.

New torn box of the PDS variety. I'm surprised there is so little interest in today's event. Is this entire area unchaseable? I'm familiar with the Piney Woods, but thought today has been west of the thicket. That said, the most favorable region is sliding east of College Station, so maybe trees are starting to become a factor for viewability.

Glen

I think the heavy precipitation is reducing visibility and accessibility to the point that it is almost unsafe to chase if someone is not absolutely familiar with the area.

Tim

Some of the small storms developing around the Houston metro are rapidly developing strong shear signatures. This may be the start of a big show.

Originally posted by Kevin Scharfenberg
Some of the small storms developing around the Houston metro are rapidly developing strong shear signatures. This may be the start of a big show.

I was telling the same thing: moreover in that zone there's the best combination between low level shear and MLCAPE.

Looks like the HOU area is really exploding with tornado warnings....

Back