11/09/2005 NOW: OH/PA/WV

Technically the discussion on the storms in this region belong in a NOW thread so I am starting one.

The storms in KY and WV are more discreet than the more northernly storms in OH/PA. I expect more severe or perhaps tor warnings from the Pikeville KY cell and the CHarleston WV cell.

Just starting to get some cells here in Athens OH.

--
Tom Hanlon

Convection developing and moving into western PA could have the potential to become tornadic... A pocket of marginal sfc-based instability with overlapping favorable deep-layer vertical and low-level shear (in addition to low LCLs) will favor embedded supercell structures with large hail and possibley an isolated tornado.

A couple TOR warnings in effect for counties for cells taking on supercell structures in westcentral PA -- invof triple point -- with damaging wind gusts already reported with these storms. I would imagine these storms would be able to sustain themselves for another hour or so, since they developed in a region with minimal low-level instability to begin with -- and they will be expierencing a backed surface flow pattern when they reach warm frontal vicinity within the next hour or so (currently racing at 50-60MPH).

Isolated supercell currently ongoing in eastern KY is TOR-warned at the moment, yet as it moves east the storm inflow layer will be increasingly more elevated (posing a dramtically less TOR threat with time) with time.

Isolated supercell currently ongoing in eastern KY is TOR-warned at the moment, yet as it moves east the storm inflow layer will be increasingly more elevated (posing a dramtically less TOR threat with time) with time.

That storm is just climbing the first ridge of the appalachians at the KY/VA border.

--
Tom Hanlon

I wanted to head up to KY so bad...but things did not work out...I am planning to get some very nice lightning shots tonight, however....

Tornado warning has just been withdrawn for the line in PA...that storm is not looking as healthy, in my eyes as it was. Cell is really going downhill in KY/VA as it crosses the mountains, I would assume that warning would be withdrawn shortly.

Back