10/26/10 NOW: IL/IN/OH/MI/KY/TN/AL/MS/GA/PN

While tornado warnings have been ongoing and mainly warning against brief rain wrapped tornadoes, the first spotter confirmed tornado went warned in Kentucky. Currently out here on the Indiana / Ohio border there is slight overcast with lots of pockets of sunshine breaking through. Storms seem to be trying to initiate ahead of the front, and I suspect will as surface heating and destabilization farther east. Looking very dangerous in Ohio...

The tail end storms, particularly clarksville TN, Hopkinsville KY, area look somewhat chaseable. Tor warned, somewhat isolated. Of course storm motion at 60 MPH.. I meant interceptable.. not chase-able.

It's not looking good. The state line has tornado warnings all the way up and down it. Cincinnati, Dayton and Toledo are all in the crosshairs on this one. Looks like tornadoes originating from mesovortices are gonna be the biggest problem around here.

Broken line ahead of the main line of thunderstorms developing in Middle Tennessee and Northern Mississippi where greater than initially forecast insolation has occurred. Good thing SPC dragged the hatched TOR down and put out a PDS box. Wind fields are impressive in the Lower Mississippi and Tenn Valleys, with mid-level and upper level flow more perpendicular to the low-level flow compared to points farther north. Good luck for any attempted chases in the challenging terrain. Be safe!

I was on this line in east central Indiana and abandoned it. Things are obviously moving way too fast and contrast in the clouds was terrible. I had a brief rain free base that quickly was swallowed by precip. I like the portion of the line headed for Miami/Troy OH, its having some sort of interaction with a cell being enveloped by the squall.

mods if you could add TN to the title, it'd be appreciated.

unseasonably warm and muggy here in Murfreesboro, TN winds very strong out of the south/southwest and the sun is breaking through the clouds resulting in diurnal heating of the atmosphere which should help with initiation and strengthening of the intensity of these storms as they move through Nashville and Middle TN in the early afternoon hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought this might be news worthy;

Decoded Surface Obs
Tue Oct 26 16:44:15 UTC 2010
ID Temp Dew Winds Press Clouds Prec Weather F F deg knt mb 100ft cov in

KDLH 55 53 70 at 17 961.5 3 OVC ---- light rain

storm with earlier confirmed tornado near bowling green kentucky is moving at 90 mph!!:eek: satellite is still showing quite a few breaks in kentucky and tennessee so storms should hold together and even strengthen in a more favorable environment

That long track cell just passed here in Boyle County, Kentucky with a wall cloud and some nice rotation, moving NE at about that speed. It had a TVS signature the entire time and went "warned" just as it moved east of here. No wind damage evident around here.

picture.php

picture.php

sirens were sounding here at Mid Tenn State Univ at 12:15 pm central time. Class was cancelled and students were encouraged to remain in the building until the all clear was given, I on the other decided to go chasing. Sitting at Hwy 840 & Veterans Pkwy just west of Murfreesboro. Witnessed a wall cloud over 840 which quickly became obscured my rain, weak rotation was noted. GRLevel 3 continues to indicate a tornado on the ground due NE of my location about 5-7 miles.

Attachments

• rutherfordco.jpg
    rutherfordco.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 51
Heading over to Parkersburg, WV on Rt. 50 at the moment... probably going to dive south on I-77 once we get there to catch the most discrete action.

Trying to get the Storm Spotter software to get us off "Inactive" status to get our location updated on the map, but having difficulties. Using a back-up laptop and just installed everything fresh. Active mode is up on the main site's settings, but we can't figure out why the software won't change over to active.

moved south on I-24 to intercept a tornado warned cell coming out of Shelbyville, TN off of Joe B. Jackson hwy. GRLevel3 indicate a tornado on the ground WSW of my position, however I just had a large wall cloud that showed no signs of rotation pass over me moving very quickly, and no tell tale funnel clouds or other lowering.

Just stopped at home between intercepts. I got into the hook and caught the tor warned cell crossing US 231 north of Huntsville with numerous lowerings and wall clouds, not much visible rotation.

Also viewed the tor warned cell from about five miles north that crossed the Tennessee River about fifteen minutes after this one. Definitely low toppers today, at least in this area. I'll post vid caps later.

I'm heading back to the same area now for the next storm, just tor warned.

Radar grabs:

Attachments

• 10 26 10  Meridianville br.jpg
    10 26 10 Meridianville br.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 22
  • 10 26 10  Meridianville srv.jpg
    10 26 10 Meridianville srv.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 25
Pressure at 3:00 p.m. reported as 28.24 in Big Fork, MN, and falling. I believe that translates to 956 mb. Getting close to the U.S. record for non-tropical storms.

Second trip--got away too late to make the southern positioning adjustment and had to punch the core on I-565 just north of the tornadic circulation. Zero viz and blowing debris for a minute about 3:50pm cdt. Turned back to follow it, but rain obscured the main circulation so I headed back home, missing a secondary spinup that crossed just south of the main path. However, while standing in front of my house, I was able to see the rotating rain curtains when it crossed Monte Sano Mountain to my east.

Looks like there may be one more opportunity before dark, but I have to break off the chase and follow the system to a gig in Sewanee, TN.

Radars from my core punch:

Attachments

• 10 26 10  e of hsv 350pm bv.jpg
    10 26 10 e of hsv 350pm bv.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 10 26 10  e of hsv 350pm srv.jpg
    10 26 10 e of hsv 350pm srv.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 24
Back