10/19/2005 NOW: Southern Plains

I guess it's time to start this up now:

Well some of the morning crap maybe be getting going now. There are a couple of cells that have t-storm warnings now. Wait...now a bunch of them have t-storm warnings now.

EDIT: Just issued a blue watch box for the dryline. Just looked at the Vici profiler and the winds don't look great, but they are slowly improving.

Numerous severe thunderstorm warnings through all of central OK. Blue box still being issued, and TWO MD's issued in the same vicinity....

Currently on storm WNW of Woodward, OK. A few nice attempts at a strongly-rotating wallcloud. Rapid rotation has been evident for a 5-10 minutes. Lots of lightning under the updraft and in the main core! Awesome vertical motion under cloud base. Strong inflow, but kinda cool.

This season looks as it is going to end as it began...cold core tornadoes. Impressive hook on supercell southwest of DDC...the cell is flying northeast, so a 40 mph tornado might be on the ground (per tornado warning and local law enforcement). NOTE: DDC is on the NORTH side of the sfc low. It appears though this supercell was destined for greatness...previous cell may have laid down a perfect outflow boundary to eat up and RUC analysis have bull's eyes of both 0-1km and 0-3km helicity in the area. Have been impressed so far with the reflectivities from these things...pushing 70 dBZ in some scans...can only imagine the depth of hail in some locations.

POST REMARKS: Everyone enjoying the split show on the DDC radar? :lol:

A few tornado warnings in SW KS, one including a reported sighting by local law enforcement.

* AT 443 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH STRONG ROTATION AND LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A TORNADO OVER NORTHERN MEADE COUNTY...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

Cells there have been training along the front - lead cells have been clearly elevated, but southern cell appeared to be at the warm front /cold front intersection, though it appeared the cell was struggling to keep a footing on the warmer side (which still isn't all that great looking). Cells further south have shown dominant left splits for the most part, though the cell now over Ellis county looks to be a bit more promising. Apparently lapse rates there are not all that great, as cells have struggled against the intense shear, but it is in a presumably favorable shear environment to at least pose a threat of a tornado.

Glen

Tornado Report in the LSR's, stating a brief rope tornado was spotted. Further Developing supercells look like a sure thing, and now the potential for tornadic activity, has ascended greatly..Hail, looks like it will be VERY large, with the updraft state being as it is. All of this will be in the SC KS -- NC OK, vicinty.

Originally posted by Andrew Khan
This whole storm system gave off numerous OFB's....

EDIT: Looks like the storm in Harper County, OK iks developing a weak hook echo...

Andrew,
There has been a hook echo on that storm for over an hour now...

The 2000+ sbCAPE and 300-400 0-3km SRH yields supercell composite params in the 15-20 range. Regardless, all this goes to show a very supercell-friendly environment across northwest/northcentral OK -- invof main storm now north of Woodward. Strong low-level mesocyclone evident to the northeast of Fort Supply with the main storm... I'd imagine with twighlight approaching, things would whind down - but we still have a solid hour left...

Looks like the Harper/Woods county storm might be throwing off a left split now. Could be good for the right split if it can stay in the warmer air south of the front.

EDIT: Still has good midlevel rotation but not much lowlevel rotation at this point.

Originally posted by nickgrillo+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nickgrillo)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Andrew Khan
This whole storm system gave off numerous OFB's....

EDIT: Looks like the storm in Harper County, OK iks developing a weak hook echo...

Andrew,
There has been a hook echo on that storm for over an hour now...

The 2000+ sbCAPE and 300-400 0-3km SRH yields supercell composite params in the 15-20 range. Regardless, all this goes to show a very supercell-friendly environment across northwest/northcentral OK -- invof main storm now north of Woodward. Strong low-level mesocyclone evident to the northeast of Fort Supply with the main storm... I'd imagine with twighlight approaching, things would whind down - but we still have a solid hour left...[/b]

Nick, I have other things to do, that watch severe weather events take place in history. I'm not going to sit here, and gaze into my screen, watching a cell....so I went away from the radar/computer....and didn't see the hook....so what?

In other news, the cell near Haviland, KS is getting stronger rotation, and I am seeign a well defined area of low-level rotation near edwards county, KS. You can really see a nice couplet near the SW par tof the cell in Woods county, OK...

Back