1/10/08 DISC: MS/AL/LA/TN/KY

Looks like, to me, that the key to the event for the southeast was the location of the jet streak, particularly around 500 mb. Plus some good strong diffluence aloft over the southeast.
And the effects both had on the surface low progression.

To see what I'm looking at, pull up the Mesoanalysis archives (http://w1.spc.woc.noaa.gov/exper/ma_archive/). I looked at 300 mb, 500 mb, and 700-400 mb vorticity advection.

I am surprised, looking back, at how massive the diffluence was in the region. Surprised this wasn't mentioned more... I definitely overlooked it earlier.

But the big thing that jumped at me is the how the vorticity advection aloft was shifting east until about 19 or 20Z, then quickly began to broaden and move away NE.
Up until that time, it's situated basically over the surface low. If you watch the sfc plot (I was watching RAP during the afternoon, but it shows up easier in the Mesoanalysis archive), the low was dawdling ENE through Missouri. As soon as the upper dynamics shift away north around 20Z, the surface low begins to quickly eject away NE-NNE as well.

And this is why the low-level winds in Mississippi and Alabama really veered around this time..... leading to helicity decrease..... and the storms stopped rotating as much, lost their discreteness, and it all petered out from there, particularly from south to north.

NOTES:
- It really doesn't look like the helicity changes show up very well in the Mesoanalysis, but to me, Mesoanalysis never really seems to capture how the variations in low-level flow modify helicity very well (for example, boundaries (where there is a strong helicity gradient) don't stand out typically).

- As I understand it, the winds veer out in low-levels as the surface low moves further away because of the decrease in isallobaric flow.
[Isallobaric wind is a wind pointing from where pressure is rising the most to where pressure is falling the most [in a reference frame with respect to the moving low] (i.e. towards the center of a deepening low). As the pressure fall move further away, the isallobaric flow diminishes..... flow becomes more isobaric (as it usually is nearer the surface), and you end up with flow more SWerly for a front oriented SW-NE.]

- Of course the helicity evolution didn't mean much without quite healthy thermodynamics. The moist axis set up nice today and the patchy breaks in the clouds was a very rare treat in the southeast, where we don't need much with such low LCL's.

As to why the vorticity advection did shift north around 20Z? I think that's where the 500 mb map comes in key (upper levels help clarify too). The 500 mb jet max is coming through the base of the trough up until around 20Z, and that means greatest vorticity advection. As it starts moving up the right side, the PVA decreases AND moves away. I think you can see some good evidence of the jet streak coming around on the water vapor imagery.

I've watched quite a few of these southeast events now, and found it very difficult usually to pick out the big event from the bust event... especially when it came to finding discrete supercells. (I didn't chase today, but did base........ they had every possible thing go wrong, so we won't talk about that anymore! :cool:).
Maybe others are already watching out for these things, and I just now finally caught on more to the specific importance of the midlevel jet... but I definitely think this is something to pay attention to in the future... especially here in the southeast, where winds commonly veer early, and it has seemed to me that the very lowest-level flow is most critical to holding the helicity needed to get the rare discrete event (the position of the surface low is so crucial down here).

Anyways, that's what I was thinking about today. Please offer your comments if you have any :)

Shane (of the non-Adams variety :))

Any followup on the elementary school? EMA says it's destroyed with injuries, others say it was barely grazed...

The main building was apparantly undamaged. I heard some outbuildings destroyed along with heavy damage to the Gymnasium. (I believe this was the building the school bus chassis was thrown onto). All of the buildings which were badly damaged had been evacuated prior to the tornado hitting so a good job appears to have been done by the school.

Here's a picture from Foxnews' site

0110082243_M_011008_bus_school.jpg

BMX has confirmed three tornadoes in their CWA during yesterday's event. The Wiley area tornado in Tuscaloosa County AL has been rated E-F3, with estimated winds of 140-150mph. The maximum intensity of the Lamar Co./Vernon area tornado (no word yet from JAN on the MS-side of the track) is E-F2, though the survey is not yet complete. Finally, an E-F1 track was found in Pickens County, which I believe was in association with the same cell that produced the large hai, and wind damage near Macon MS.
"Damage Surveys ongoing across West Central Alabama"

Thus far, the Jackson WFO has only completed the survey of one tornado, an E-F0 that damaged homes near the Pearl River Resort in Noxubee County.
Local Storm Report - JAN

The maximum intensity of the Lamar Co./Vernon area tornado (no word yet from JAN on the MS-side of the track) is E-F2, though the survey is not yet complete.

excuse me if im not correct, cause there were many storms out there...but is that the storm that came into caledonia?

any word on that damage survey?

i thought that vehicles being thrown like that came into the EF-4 category...WTVA had some great coverage on the event...when i got home, that had still cut into normal broadcasting to show some raw footage and had call ins about the storm near west point and the one in caledonia...not sure if yall seen that SUV ripped partially in half laying out in the football field, but it definalty looked like EF-4 to throw a bus like that...im glad, and i cant believe no body died out there...

Any followup on the elementary school? EMA says it's destroyed with injuries, others say it was barely grazed...

Here's a video I found on YouTube of the damage to the Caledonia School; it appears to have been shot in the rather immediate aftermath, as parents are still coming to the scene to pick up their kids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiz_U2sfEfg

terry tyler said:
excuse me if im not correct, cause there were many storms out there...but is that the storm that came into caledonia?

any word on that damage survey?

i thought that vehicles being thrown like that came into the EF-4 category...WTVA had some great coverage on the event...when i got home, that had still cut into normal broadcasting to show some raw footage and had call ins about the storm near west point and the one in caledonia...not sure if yall seen that SUV ripped partially in half laying out in the football field, but it definalty looked like EF-4 to throw a bus like that...im glad, and i cant believe no body died out there...
Yes, the storm that hit the Vernon area was the one that passed through Lowndes County, including the Caledonia area, before crossing into Lamar County AL. As for the survey, I'm sure that they're on the ground (and/or in the air) going through the damage path as we speak, with at least some indication as to what they're thinking being available by this evening. Now my understanding is that if the survey team members from WFO JAN have suspicions that this tornado is deserving of a rating greater than E-F3, which I'm not totally convinced is the case, they'll have to contact the SRH (Southern Region Headquarters) and discuss whether or not members of the Quick Response Team (a group of renowned damage survey-experts) will be called in to investigate the scene. (If I'm wrong about this, please, someone jump in).

As far as the school bus is concerned, I believe the body was removed from the chassis by the wind before being deposited on the roof, which, I assume, would significantly reduce the intensity required to lift it so high of the ground. just my $.02. The school officials deserve major credit for following proper procedures when it came to protecting students from the tornado; every account I've read indicates that students were hunkered down in the hallways (widely-accepted as the safest above-ground shelter in school buildings) as the tornado hit. While it scares me that this tornado struck so close to dismissal time, I'd like to think that, based on their response to the situation at hand, school officials would have held students inside should the storm have hit, say, 30 minutes later.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you who have been following this event, the Caledonia tornado has been officially rated E-F3 by the Jackson MS WFO. The full details, including estimated max winds, and path length and width will likely be released at some point in the next 24hrs, probably much sooner.

0213 PM TORNADO CALEDONIA 33.68N 88.33W
01/10/2008 F3 LOWNDES MS NWS STORM SURVEY

*** 10 INJ *** ELEMENTARY SCHOOL GYM DESTROYED,
SEVERAL HOMES DAMAGED SCHOOL BUSES DAMGED AND
OTHER VEHICLES THROWN. NUMEROUS TREES AND POWER
LINES ALSO DOWN. AT THIS TIME, 10 TOTAL INJURIES WITH
2 SERIOUS. THIS TORNADO HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN RATED AN
EF3.

Local Storm Report...corrected - JAN

EDIT: I don't think a statement (PNS/LSR) has been issued, but a quick check of the JAN website reveals that the Holmes/Attala tornado has been given a rating of E-F3 as it passed through Goodman. See the NOW thread for radar grabs.
The NWS damage survey team from WFO Jackson reports that damage near Goodman in eastern Holmes County has been given a preliminary rating of EF3 with a maximum wind speed of 140 MPH and an approximate path width of 3/4 mile. In addition to major home and tree damage, three high tension power line poles were snapped off in the Goodman area.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jan/events/2008/Jan10/index.php
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/24.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably nothing new for most people, but I heard via several radio stations I was listening to (BTW, they need more country stations :rolleyes:) that many schools were closing early. It sounded like a former snowday list with all the closings and cancellations. Not only schools, but libraries, and public events. Very interesting to hear that for something other than snow.

Looks like, to me, that the key to the event for the southeast was the location of the jet streak, particularly around 500 mb. Plus some good strong diffluence aloft over the southeast.
And the effects both had on the surface low progression.

To see what I'm looking at, pull up the Mesoanalysis archives (http://w1.spc.woc.noaa.gov/exper/ma_archive/). I looked at 300 mb, 500 mb, and 700-400 mb vorticity advection.

I am surprised, looking back, at how massive the diffluence was in the region. Surprised this wasn't mentioned more... I definitely overlooked it earlier.

But the big thing that jumped at me is the how the vorticity advection aloft was shifting east until about 19 or 20Z, then quickly began to broaden and move away NE.
Up until that time, it's situated basically over the surface low. If you watch the sfc plot (I was watching RAP during the afternoon, but it shows up easier in the Mesoanalysis archive), the low was dawdling ENE through Missouri. As soon as the upper dynamics shift away north around 20Z, the surface low begins to quickly eject away NE-NNE as well.

And this is why the low-level winds in Mississippi and Alabama really veered around this time..... leading to helicity decrease..... and the storms stopped rotating as much, lost their discreteness, and it all petered out from there, particularly from south to north.

NOTES:
- It really doesn't look like the helicity changes show up very well in the Mesoanalysis, but to me, Mesoanalysis never really seems to capture how the variations in low-level flow modify helicity very well (for example, boundaries (where there is a strong helicity gradient) don't stand out typically).

- As I understand it, the winds veer out in low-levels as the surface low moves further away because of the decrease in isallobaric flow.
[Isallobaric wind is a wind pointing from where pressure is rising the most to where pressure is falling the most [in a reference frame with respect to the moving low] (i.e. towards the center of a deepening low). As the pressure fall move further away, the isallobaric flow diminishes..... flow becomes more isobaric (as it usually is nearer the surface), and you end up with flow more SWerly for a front oriented SW-NE.]

- Of course the helicity evolution didn't mean much without quite healthy thermodynamics. The moist axis set up nice today and the patchy breaks in the clouds was a very rare treat in the southeast, where we don't need much with such low LCL's.

As to why the vorticity advection did shift north around 20Z? I think that's where the 500 mb map comes in key (upper levels help clarify too). The 500 mb jet max is coming through the base of the trough up until around 20Z, and that means greatest vorticity advection. As it starts moving up the right side, the PVA decreases AND moves away. I think you can see some good evidence of the jet streak coming around on the water vapor imagery.

I've watched quite a few of these southeast events now, and found it very difficult usually to pick out the big event from the bust event... especially when it came to finding discrete supercells. (I didn't chase today, but did base........ they had every possible thing go wrong, so we won't talk about that anymore! :cool:).
Maybe others are already watching out for these things, and I just now finally caught on more to the specific importance of the midlevel jet... but I definitely think this is something to pay attention to in the future... especially here in the southeast, where winds commonly veer early, and it has seemed to me that the very lowest-level flow is most critical to holding the helicity needed to get the rare discrete event (the position of the surface low is so crucial down here).

Anyways, that's what I was thinking about today. Please offer your comments if you have any :)

Shane (of the non-Adams variety :))

Another thing of note.....as these supercells were developing across MS the breaks in the deck were occuring into Alabama. The 700mb layer was still pretty dry and areas such as Troy and Montgomery AL mixed down into dewpoints into the mid-upper 50's instead of remaining into the mid 60's (63-66) like they had been earlier that morning.

The low level jet orientation was not good for moisture advection into the state of AL until later into the afternoon so the surface moisture was mixed a bit. As isolated showers developed in the lift....MLCAPE and SBCAPE also took a hit in Central/South Alabama. Things were much more stable than expected and not to mention the SFC low/upper level system ejecting north and east.

If I had been watching mesoanalysis earlier in the morning I would have know that this was a Central MS event. With a 9 month pregnant wife I didn't have much of a choice besides staying across Central AL. We shall see what the rest of the spring brings us.

On a side note....one of my chase team members did get into the damage path of a now confirmed EF-0 tornado in Marengo County, AL on the west side of Dixons Mills. Quite an event and definitely a verified moderate risk for the region. I have to give SPC credit on nailing the risk area and holding off on another PDS tornado watch for areas furtther east.

Back