1,000 mph Winds-What Can They Do Here?

Here's an interesting question for my fellow weather geeks. 8)

The two windiest planets in the solar system are Neptune and Saturn, respectively. Saturn's winds top out at 1,000 mph. Neptune's winds have been clocked at 1,250 mph. Neptune used to have a storm called the Great Dark Spot. When the Voyager probe passed Neptune, it found winds in the spot blew at 1,500 mph!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

So, here's my question.

What would winds like that do on Earth? An F5 twister, at its most violent, is a mere breeze compared to these supersonic winds.

What kind of damage are we talking about? How would erosion be affected?

Discuss.

8)

I really don't want to think about it. :shock: :shock: Every man made structure on this planet would be obliterated by winds equivalent to F19 if it went that high! :shock: Actually, I think everything would be gone by 600-700mph which I believe is A-bomb shockwave speed. :shock:

F0-F5: 39-315mph (light to incredible damage) everything more is hypothetical....on earth that is...

F6-F10: 316-6??mph (beyond incredible to astronomical)

F11-F15: 6??-9??mph ( Daaaaaammn! Now we're getting windy!)"understated"

F16-F20: 9??-12??mph (HOLY S**T!) "also understated"

It'd probably throw debris all the way into the ground, rather than leaving half of the object — let's say a 2x4 — sticking out of the ground. I suppose it could make some kind of tremor when it does that. Trigger something on a fault, perhaps? In addition, just the force of the wind would probably clear lakes of water — just by blasting them. .. . ANd I'm trying to think of some kind of point along the lines of wind this strong generating heat from so much friction with the ground, but it's probably scientifically implausible (have we any physicists?).

Originally posted by Saul Trabal
Here's an interesting question for my fellow weather geeks. 8)

What kind of damage are we talking about? How would erosion be affected?

I don't think anything more than scoured bedrock would remain.

-Greg

Back