07/12/04 FCST: Central & Northern Plains

This might belong in a 'NOW' thread, but what magnificent low level rotation on that storm on the South Dakota/Nebraska border. LBF radar picking up nearly 100 kts of shear at the base velocity, and it's the first storm of the day with the atmosphere to itself. So much for the 12-13 C 700 mb cap..

unfortunately the storm is right on the cusp between those two radars, so those velocity readings are probably coming from the mid-upper levels of the storm, rather than at the base. still quite an impressive upper mesocyclone

I would guess that the LBF radar is intercepting the storm at about 5000 ft for its base velocity, which to me, is still pretty low in the storm, and picking up 100 kts of shear (latest scan is down to about 75 kts) at that level is indicative that a pretty strong mesocyclone is in place with the storm. Given other factors such as near storm environment of EAST winds at ONL, 70 degree dew points, and bulk shear in excess of 45 kts, and it looks like that storm is going to have a pretty decent chance to be tornadic, even if a little high based. If nothing else we should get some impressive hail reports from this storm.

Should be a NOW thread, 2.50 inch hail reported in Charles Mix and Gregory Counties SD.
The beam height is more like 15K and its 120 miles away from the North Platte radar for the Boyd County storm.

Mike

The storm has taken a hard right turn and is now heading due south towards Spencer, NE. It also appears to be developing a slight hook echo in the west quadrant. I hope people in this area are heeding the warnings. My niece’s future husband (next month) has family in this area.

Back