06/15/05 TALK: High Plains

Will go ahead and open a talk thread for today for the high plains area, as there appears some reasonable possibility of severe convection across E CO, W KS, and the panhandles. AFD's in the region are kind of downplaying the threat and seem skeptical of moisture return around the back side of the high. At this hour, instability and theta-e appear to be nosing up the panhandle, and mid-level lapse rates will likely be steepening over the afternoon. W/ upper level impulse approaching from the four corners, be on the lookout for lee cyclogenesis. Some SR helicity areas approaching 200 m2/s2 also encouraging. Probably a fairly marginal setup for tornadic activity, but any lingering vacationers / local chasers may want to monitor this afternoon.

A few of us local chasers in Eastern Colorado are gonna head out on what looks to be a marginal setup. Hard to ignore the Palmer Divide on days like this cause these are the oddball setups that produce the freak landspouts in the middle of nowhere. I'm being way to optomistic, but I figure, why not.. its close after my 1600 mile trip earlier in the week! Hell, anything is local after that! :lol:

Yep, on a June day in eastern CO when the winds are out of the east and the dewpoints are up over 50 you gotta be out on the Palmer Divide. Currently sitting at the Holiday Inn of NSCC fame checking wifi. Tony's on his way over and we'll find a hill nearby and wait for something to pop. :D

Should be interesting to see what happens to the cell in Crowley Co. The cell just blew up right in front of an outflow boundary and looks like it could stay isolated for a while. Everything else looks like junk. I did notice on a severe thunderstorm warning for the cell I just mentioned NWS states...

IF POSSIBLE...WITHOUT RISKING YOUR SAFETY...PROTECT PROPERTY BEFORE
THE WEATHER HITS. GET IN A STURDY STRUCTURE AND AWAY FROM WINDOWS. AN
INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR...OR A BASEMENT CAN OFFER THE BEST
PROTECTION.

I have never noticed a mention of property. It may be common in Co or other regions I have just never noticed it. Good luck to the few that are out.

I won't even bother posting a report today as Verne, Jon V, and I went out and back from Limon as the storms quickly crapped themselves together and began to race east into Kansas. We dropped Jon back at his car and Verne and I returned to Denver where we currently are sitting at the Holiday Inn off I-70 and Pena checking to make sure we're clear for the evening before retiring west for our homes for the evening. Not looking for anything else to go east of here, so will likely return home for the night.

Back