05/07/05: TALK: Southern/Central Plains

we are headed south, now near Liberal, KS and west of the dryline. Cu building to our east just a few miles. Hope I didn't kill myself by leaving southern NE this morning...

Well, still here in Shamrock waiting to see some initiation. The cloud layer has cleared a bit and surface temp should start rising. I am looking at possibly a little N of here for a target. I am most likely gonna wait here until something fires up.

Just been meeting some of the fellow stormtrack chasers here at the best western, good luck to ya'll!

A quick look from here in Sayre, OK. I note what appears to be a defined dryline bulge near the Turkey, TX area. CU's appear to be rapidly increasing in this area the last image. Mid 70 Ts along with lower 60 tds are advecting into this region. Im headed west on 40 and will likely look for the Turkey area for initiation within the next 2 hrs.

Tornado Warnings for NE CO... They look good and no one was caling for it..

Go get em.

Convection now firing in Kiowa county KS on northward nose of 60 dewpoints well east of the dryline. Temps only in the upper 70's, so convective temp may not need to reach 80 for storms to develop further south to around Pampa, and perhaps low 80's south of there. Convergence along the dryline has really slackened past few hours across the mid panhandle region. Persistent field of cumulus starting to grow in dimension around the Silverton region - would expect convective initiation in this region within the hour. As such, I'll stick with the agressive position suggestion of Clarendon, perhaps out to Childress by evening.

Glen

Just pulled into the Best Western in Shamrock. It's gonna hinge on these cirrus clouds.

We just drove down from Liberal and watched a few towers go up and down with the cirrus intrusion.

Okay im in SCENTRAL SD. Currently stalking warmfront with a well defined CU field and lots of congestus in the making. Will probably keep creeping north with warm front back to highway 14. Good luck, be safe.

-Scott.

I'm on a hill in northwest Donley County, north of Clarendon by about ten miles. We have southeast winds at around ten knots with a dp of 61F and scattered cu cong. Amazing sfc chart for those who use the TTU panhandle mesonet: in Armstrong County, moisture gradient of more than 20F within about 15 miles between central and northeasern parts of the county, and these readings are consistent with other obs in the immediate area. Dryline hasn't moved much last hour. A boundary is draped along I-40 from this "kink" and runs along the southern tier of Carson, Grey, and Wheeler Counties where winds are backed nearly due east now. I expect initiation in Armstrong, Briscoe, or Donley counties within the next two hours unless convergence dies entirely. 850 winds still a huge problem for organized supercells here.

Cell M0 now moving into Buffalo county NE has dropped two confirmed tornados. This storm will be moving into the Town of Kearny in a few minutes. Cell now taking on classic “flying Eagleâ€￾ look. I hope everyone heeds the warnings.

EDIT: Tornado reported on the ground 2 mi south of Kearney

Sitting along SR 203 near SR 273 in SE donley county near the Hedley area. Watching updraft after updraft trying to form to my SW in western Hall county. Am starting to become increasingly concerned about initiation. Feel that if anything is going to go.. it will likely go here to my SW. I am sure people are still up near I-40... wxworx and data indicate some TCU in that area.. I cannot confirm visually however. (thick cloud deck) I think the cloud deck and the weak SFC convergence may be having it's way, I hope not. Going to stay here a while until something happens.

Nine reports of tornados out of this cell. Would like to know if it is one tor that’s been on the ground for about an hour, one that’s been skipping, or different tors. Thankfully it’s missed all the towns, so far as I am aware

I just got off the phone with Mark Sefreid who saw a funnell come down half-way to the ground about 5-10 miles N of Palmer, NE 10-15 minutes ago. He and Darren Kaiser have been on the stronger tornado warned cells in SC and SE Nebraska for a few hours now. They've seen wall clouds and the aforementioned funnel but no tornado yet.

Well, thanks to Comfort Inn WIFI our official report (Mike Johnston and I) will not be able to be visible of today's chase in Nebraska. Promises of photos and official report will be posted sometime in the near future. To shorten things, we saw a lot, confirming tornadoes on the ground. Although very weak. What an awesome day, long drive home to KC.

Originally posted by Kurt Silvey
Nine reports of tornados out of this cell. Would like to know if it is one tor that’s been on the ground for about an hour, one that’s been skipping, or different tors. Thankfully it’s missed all the towns, so far as I am aware

Hard to say. The tornado lifted several times and then reformed several times. There were never condensation funnels that I could see, just large ground circulations (with occasional smaller satellite ground circulations) beneath the rotating wallcloud. Saw the storm create threse ground circulations on three seperate occasions. Either the tornado was "skipping", or they were seperate tornadoes.

Back