03/06/2005 NOW: Nrn KS, Wrn TX

Line of storms beginning to get organized in NC KS; nothing too impressive attm.

Violent supercell ongoing in Nrn Reeves Co, TX and is starting to make a right turn. GR Level 3 indicating 2.5" hail; SVR in effect, and w/ 55kts of vertical shear in place and marginal CAPE, don't see any reason for weakening in the immediate future. The town of Arno is about to get slammed.

EDIT: MESO now being indicated about 3.5 mi W of US 285 in Ern Reeves Co. --- storm now 11miles from the town of Arno.

Core of Reeves County storm now moving generally due east again, after a SEerly turn earlier, and is now entering Loving County. Meso now looks to pass over or just south of the town of Mentone and pass over SR 302 b/w Mentone and Arno in the next 3-5 minutes. Hail size estimated at 1.25".

Originally posted by Sam Sagnella
Core of Reeves County storm now moving generally due east again, after a SEerly turn earlier, and is now entering Loving County. Meso now looks to pass over or just south of the town of Mentone and pass over SR 302 b/w Mentone and Arno in the next 3-5 minutes. Hail size estimated at 1.25\".

Doubt anyone is out there to view it either. There is virtually NOTHING out there. I think a gin and maybe an abandoned gas station and MAYBE a house or two in Mentone. Closest spotters will be in Jal, NM or Pecos or Wink, TX and I doubt any chasers are down there to give any ground truth either.

60dbz core plowing thru Jefferson Co. passing directly overhead. Pea size hail and 50mph wind with it :lol: yes my SDS is offically cured :lol: :lol:In addition to the passing squall, multicell activity is become organized around Manhattan and also is moving this way. Its a real treat for early March!!!

Forgive me for breaking TA rules... I wouldn't go off subject if things weren't so generally quiet.

I love chasing in that area....the wide open spaces, but I've never seen anything remarkable wx-wise there.

I took a little vid of kids sledding down the sand dunes in Monahans Sandhills SP last year. Cool to see the blowoff-fires at the refineries after the sun sets. You can often see them from 50 miles away.

I saw an episode of "On the Road with Charles Kurault" many years ago, in which he was in Loving County, and pointed out that Loving County is the most sparsely populated county in the 48 contiguous, and the only county with only one paved road.

I recently read that Dan Gurney has a hell of a race car museum in Midland (or is it Odessa, LOL), but might be "invitation-only". I'd like to try to get in some day.

I've spent about a week in the area, cumulative, and I've yet to encounter another chaser there.

Bob

Just got back from the storm in reeves and loving co , tx

I left pretty late and got to it around sunset. Saw a significant lowering around 7:10 about 5 miles east of Mentone. I was too far away to be certain, but it was probably a wall cloud given it's location and structure.

I'm going to love chasing in west Texas you can see clearly for 20 miiles in every direction. Although the lack of roads is kinda worrysome.

Originally posted by Bob Schafer
Forgive me for breaking TA rules... I wouldn't go off subject if things weren't so generally quiet.

I love chasing in that area....the wide open spaces, but I've never seen anything remarkable wx-wise there.

I took a little vid of kids sledding down the sand dunes in Monahans Sandhills SP last year. Cool to see the blowoff-fires at the refineries after the sun sets. You can often see them from 50 miles away.

I saw an episode of \"On the Road with Charles Kurault\" many years ago, in which he was in Loving County, and pointed out that Loving County is the most sparsely populated county in the 48 contiguous, and the only county with only one paved road.

I recently read that Dan Gurney has a hell of a race car museum in Midland (or is it Odessa, LOL), but might be \"invitation-only\". I'd like to try to get in some day.

I've spent about a week in the area, cumulative, and I've yet to encounter another chaser there.

Bob

Storms out in that area are often known for their TREMENDOUS size of wall cloud (although often not rotating) and equally tremendous hail size. Softballs and larger can be common across the transpecos region.

Oh, and that car museum is in Odessa LOL

Nice to see that someone actually got out there.

Back