03/01/07 NOW: NE/SD/IA/MN/WI/MI (Winter Precip)

• Thread starter Mike Hollingshead
  • Start date
Our surface pressure bottomed out at 983mb about 5pm this afternoon here locally. The lowest pressure that I saw on the surface map was 977 near Waterloo earlier, but I'm sure it dipped a bit lower than that at some point.

Here locally, we never really got into the very high winds that were expected. We've had some gusts a bit above 40mph, but not anywhere close to the 60mph gusts that looked possible earlier. I think Mike H was right in that the lack of a decent high pressure nearby lowered the winds from what they might have been. Nevertheless, a very windy night. We've now picked up nearly 1" of snow. Which is interesting considering 9hrs ago we were in the lower 50s.

Des Moines Airport reporting a wind gust near 60 degrees according to ch13 and all 99 counties are under a disaster declaration. When is the last time this has happened?

To answer the question about the lowest pressure seen, there were several reports of 978 across Iowa. The lowest I saw while watching it today was in Vinton, IA where the pressure dropped to 977.5 at a reading taken 4:24 PM.

Back