Your Current Snow & Snow Drift Totals

Currently sitting at 36" for the winter thus far... only in the last few weeks has the snowcover finally melted out, there was a period there between early December and early February where you couldn't see the ground, or if you could it was in an area where the wind had blown it off (i.e. exposed hilltops and ridges). The drifts are just finally beginning to diminish in size, for a while there we had 4-6 foot + drifts along the majority of the east west roads throughout this part of the state, made for some very hair raising trips whenever it got windy >.< But as rough and cold as this winter has been, it still has been, at least in eastern Colorado, a much more tolerable winter than the winter of 2006-07. I pray I don't see another hellacious winter like that for a while...
The mountains, on the other hand, are a COMPLETELY different story. Every river basin in the state is currently sitting at least 110% of their normal snowpack, with many basins in the central and southern part of the state are fast approaching 200% of normal snowpack. It seems every week or so since late November the mountains have picked up a foot to three feet of snow without fail. If this pattern holds throughout the remainder of the winter and into early spring and things warm up too quickly, much of Colorado could be staring down the barrel of some very severe, perhaps even historic flooding come April and May. Yikes.
It snowed about 4" here on Valentine's Day, but otherwise it's been very dry since about the second week of January. We could use a decent snowstorm again here soon, the county roads are starting to get a little dusty again.

NWS APX (Gaylord) is up to 134"..with some locations in the Western Upper Pennisula have received well in excess of 200". (These numbers are fairly close to normal.) However, it is a different story further South.

Grand Rapids has already had it's snowiest February on record with Lansing set to beat the record either Thursday night or Friday. Lansing has 150 years worth of climate records. The link below shows just how unusually snowy at has been this Winter in SW lower Michigan.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_story.php?wfo=grr&storyid=13077&source=0

Last edited by a moderator:
With the addition of 2 inches last night I am up to 78 inches now. As a side note, I was too sick to take the measurement myself, so I am trusting my wife.

Got a little over an inch last night. Total for the season now a bit over 58". Just to the west, DVN has over 60" now.

Had 10" on the ground early this morning, but the 40ish warmth today took about 3" away.

Seasonal snowfall: 66.1†(Record 74.5â€)

Snow depth: 9â€

Up until 2 weeks ago most of the snow has been the dry, fluffy variety. Light stuff but too frequently in heavy amounts with lots of drifting events burying previously cleared roads and driveways. Snow that’s fallen in the last 2 weeks has been the wet heavy “heart attack†snow, and even that stuff has drifted with the strong, gusty winds we’ve had lately. We had around an inch of new snow last night but this morning my driveway had drifts up to 15â€, so for the umpteenth time this year I had to clear my driveway before heading off to work. The wind’s been blowin’ hard all day so I’m fairly certain more work awaits me when I get home. Odds aren’t very long for breaking the all-time seasonal record, by this date we historically have seen 82% of our seasonal total, and we have more snow expected next week.

And I thought for sure that buying the new snowblower was guarantee a record low snowfall this year.:rolleyes:

70.7" after Friday morning's storm. Moved into 3rd place for snow seasons in my period of record (April 1, 1984 - Present), after the '95-'96 and '96-'97 snow seasons with 77.8" and 82.0" respectively.

Leadville's current snow depth is 38.0". I live down in the forest where there is not much wind, so the snow drifts are not much higher than the total snow depth. I am not sure exactly how much snow we have received this winter, but it is close to 140" so far. As for Ft. Collins, we did get about .1" this morning, but the total snow depth is 0.0".

Snowdepth is down to 2". That's the lowest it's been since early Feb. Yesterday's 60 degree warmth and all the rain last night made a huge dent in it. Interestingly, I think normally that would have completely wiped out the snowpack, but since much of the snow had become more like ice, melting it apparently will take longer. Lots of flooding around with ice-jammed rivers and lots of runoff with frozen topsoil.

Addition of 1.9" early this morning makes 72.6" for the season. The 0.65" of rain from the thunderstorms last night just plain "disappeared" into the foot deep snowpack. Sure wish it wasn't foggy last night, as a lightning pic with a foot of snow on the ground and humongous snow piles would have been unique.

Back