Years ending with number 8

There seems to be a pattern of years ending in this particular number, from reports and data I've seen. The only one I can remember is 1998, and what a banner year for crazy weather. January started with a rather sizeable bang with TN and AR getting the brunt of the blow, particularly Jackson, TN, Clarksville, TN, and Little Rock, AR. February was no different, with the Orlando Metro Area taking a beating with several tornadoes, including, one upper limit F-3, almost an F-4 according to Mr. Turner of the NWS Melbourne. A rather dull March, and April really offered some big events, in particular, 2 back to back weeks with F-5 tornadoes. April 8th into early 9th saw Birmingham, AL area get rocked with a large and fast moving F-5. Later on, the storms slammed the northside of Atlanta Metro, in particular Marietta. Not even one week later, Middle Tennessee would see a show I soon won't forget. I was in the downtown Nashville F-3 at the corner of 4th and Church, just 2 blocks from the brunt of the damage. Wave after wave of supercells hit, dropping baseball-sized hail and damaging winds, with KBNA recording a gust to 99mph! The big man cam that late afternoon, a 60 plus mile track F-5, most damaging near Waynesboro, TN. The summer arrived, and Florida lit up like a blow torch. The first big fire hit Cecil Field in Jacksonville. The Central Florida ignited like matches. The largest fire threatened to burn ALL of Flagler County, causing a total county-wide mando evacuation. People were literally drug from their homes to leave, it thankfully never crossed the Intracoastal, cause if it had, they clearly stated, the whole county would be a loss. Things finally ended with welcome July storms. In August, a highly unlikely target for tornadoes saw one that was quite a doozy, Salt Lake City, Utah. Of all the places, a strong F-2 hit this city, basically a punch from the back. What a year that was. Does anyone think 2008 will be a possible repeat to the so-called number 8 years?

I remember 1998 as well... There were 24 tornadoes in Estonia that year(we usually have just 1-2 tornadoes + some waterspouts per year). So looks like this situation might be worldwide, IF there is a pattern. I guess we will see how 2008 turns out...

Last edited by a moderator:
There seems to be a pattern of years ending in this particular number, from reports and data I've seen.

I've noticed it too, seems to be every 10 years things end in an 8.

Does anyone think 2008 will be a possible repeat to the so-called number 8 years?
I do, unless they decide to call it 2007a.

And everyone knows how amazing 1988 was!

Well, it's hard to describe this as a "pattern" when you only cited one example (1998). But year numbers meant jack, so it's obsolete.

1988 was a siginificant lull in tornado activity... 1991 didn't end in an 8 (at least on my calendar :> )

Well, lets see, 1988 tornadoes. Raleigh, NC was hit by a very strong, damaging, and deadly F-4 at 1AM!, so it was quite a shocker, at least to that area of the country. At least 29 tornadoes were spawned from Hurricane Gilbert, and a May outbreak produced over 44. This isn;t just tornadoes, it takes into account of all types of weather events. Fires, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. are all included into this stuff. It may not be a fact, it just seems. 1978 saw a violent F-4 rip thru the heart of downtown Bossier City, LA, directly across the Red River from Shreveport. The May 1968 outbreak had 2 F-5s as well, also a couple of violent killer outbreaks in 1958. Like I said, all weather is into this mix of years numbered 8.

"Like I said, all weather is into this mix of years numbered 8."

***PLEASE READ THIS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT WEATHER BULLETIN***

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN THE U.S.A. HAS ISSUED A "YEAR ENDING IN 8" WARNING FOR EVERYWHERE, EFFECTIVE AT 12AM JANUARY 1ST-DECEMBER 31ST.

i really have nothing to say. there are tornado outbreaks every year. there are hurricanes every year. im not going to take this thread seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, lets see. My point is, that some people are think that years ending in 8 are more severe than others, don't know why, but whatever. I'm just stating something that quite a few people have wondered about. You don't take this thread seriously, and your point is what?, I'd take 70% of the stuff on this site or any forum site with a grain of salt.

One will have to remember 1998 was part 2 of a strong El-Nino, one of the strongest in decades, 1997-98. Those severe events you spoke of were in part due to the El-Nino event. This year we are experiencing a moderate La-Nina which if goes like previous similar events this will be a dull winter across the southern part of the country. But as anything in weather there are exceptions like we should have had a busier hurricane season in 2007 with a La-Nina.

One will have to remember 1998 was part 2 of a strong El-Nino, one of the strongest in decades, 1997-98. Those severe events you spoke of were in part due to the El-Nino event. This year we are experiencing a moderate La-Nina which if goes like previous similar events this will be a dull winter across the southern part of the country. But as anything in weather there are exceptions like we should have had a busier hurricane season in 2007 with a La-Nina.

Except so far on the southern plains, even though Winter has only officially begun, has been anything BUT dull.

***PLEASE READ THIS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT WEATHER BULLETIN***

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN THE U.S.A. HAS ISSUED A "YEAR ENDING IN 8" WARNING FOR EVERYWHERE, EFFECTIVE AT 12AM JANUARY 1ST-DECEMBER 31ST.

i really have nothing to say. there are tornado outbreaks every year. there are hurricanes every year. im not going to take this thread seriously.
i really dont see the need to criticize justin so severely...

personally, i dont believe that an "8" year thing will form more storms then any other year...

but at the very least...its content to read...and i think you did a very good job in writing it...

The first part yes, the 2nd part, seems like he's bein a donkey. Just my personal observation, anyways, I'm hopin 08 is a blow out year for the South. March of last year I think was just a teaser to what this year could hold. Hopefully, April 7th in my hometown area(Nashville) was just a precursor to a much larger and powerful event!

Wow, you guys will fight over anything! That's funny and really sad at the same time. SDS, I guess.

Anyway, the belief that a particular year-ending number affects the intensity of any given storm season is an irrational belief, or superstition. I hold no faith that the 2008 season will be unusual because it is a year ending in the number eight. I do, however, fervently believe in tarot card readings, psychics, horoscopes, spoon-bending, and Catholicism.

However, I have been wondering ever since about June if this season will be more productive because of the abundant moisture we've gotten here in Oklahoma. I am speculating that this wetter-than-average year will result in a more-active-than-average severe weather season here in Oklahoma. Of course, that's just all just speculation. Well . . . speculation and the desire to drive shorter distances this spring.

Back