WxWorx problems

Re: WX Worx is a joke, waste of money, piece of crap!!!

I want SRM and radar, not Baron Viper Cartoon Radar Data.

I had to admit, that quote had me rolling. :) That should be in the chaser lexicon alongside SDS and Allsups.

Tim

You're not the only one... I found that rather funny as well, "Baron Viper Cartoon Radar", LOL :lol: :lol:

That's probably because I feel the same way about the dumbed down color levels. They should at least provide the option for real data levels, to me, it's about the same as trying to look at the old 6 level MDR data. ( http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gl)/guides/r...d/mdr/home.rxml )

Doug writes:
Takes for Fn ever to load. I was showing the system to Rory and I told him to note the time after we restarted my Dell 2.8 Ghz Inspiron 5150 laptop.
It took over 5 Fn Minutes to load!

Doug, I've got an identical laptop (Dell 5150 with 512MB RAM), and it doesn't take anywhere NEAR that long to load on mine...maybe 30 seconds tops. My guess would be that you have ALL the counties turned on in the WXWorx software. Go to County Configuration and only setup the counties in the states you chase in. It will load MUCH faster if you do that.

Yeah, the radar's cartoonish. Yeah, you don't get SPC updates or good satellite images. It's a chase tool...it's not the be-all and end-all of data. But I think the positives (such as signal coverage ANYwhere, and no data or airtime limits) far outweigh the negatives. One day you'll be able to get unlimited broadband internet from satellites or cell towers...but this will do nicely until that day arrives.

Ok, my experience in the field finally with WXWORX....

We chased sun/mon the junk out in west texas for the station. My laptop is an HP AMD 2500 with 512 megs ram (not stellar, but decent).

At one point, I was running WxWorx with Holux gps along with Street Atlas 2005 (with it's own GPS), Adobe Premier Pro, a windows explorer file viewer open, Yahoo IM, CuteFTP Pro, occasionally hooking in my digital camera and my video camera, and my wireless software running all at the same time. Granted, this would slow down a bit, but it was all very usable, and I was even able to capture and compile a short piece of video with all that running.

At one point, I had to use a USB hub to get everything plugged in as the laptop only has 2 usb ports. I moved the Holux GPS antenna to that and it would quite working after a few min. I suspect that was because I was letting the USB hub get it's power from the PC rather than plugging in it's own power. That is the ONLY problem I experienced!

I did note that each time you plug in the GPS for wxworx, it most likely will get assigned a new com port, and you have to go look and see what it is, then change it again in the threatnet software. Wishing that would auto adjust to the new gps "location" would be on my wishlist for future updates.

WxWorx ran fine throughout, and I never stopped getting data. Takes about 30-45 seconds to initially load, and about another 5 min or so before you start initially getting all the data, and once it's running runs great. Was a fantastic tool out there after dark reporting for the station and allowed us to quickly fine the meager hail cores and position ourselves closely around the storms.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

For anyone looking to get the system it is now on backorder and up to 4 weeks waiting..

Maybe with the added sells this year the price might come down next year :?:

Back