WX Worx price increase

Jay Press

EF1
EDIT: after careful review, the price is still $929 for the usb receiver, however the bluetooth version is $1179 and does not come with the GPS hardware.

Well it looks like Baron finally got receivers back in stock, but the bad news is that the price went fron $929 to $1179. Too bad for those who have waited. It was introduced at $999 a year and a half ago, then went down to $929 just before this chase season started and now went up 250 bucks! Whew...

I still believe it's worth it though as we landed a few good storms and some tornadoes on our last chase May 10-13, thanks to MTN!!

That's one heck of a price for a hobby. I don't think I've spent that much on my other hobbies combined. Unless you make enough money selling videos/pictures I just can't see justifying it myself...but hey. That's just me.

I'd get it if I could justify it...more power to you if you can!

You don't think you could have landed the storm with a cell phone data plan for $20/m and Stormlab or GRLevel3?

Actually the price increase is for the new bluetooth receiver they now offer. Still 929 for the usb receiver w/ premium mapping and 99 for the holux gps. Im hoping to get this over the winter to go with my new dell laptop i ordered this morning.

Why is that really so outrageous to spend on a hobby? I know people who have spent that much on a set of wheels for their car, spent that much on fishing/camping gear, or even on a computer just to play games on.

Considering that many of us can easily put on a 1000 miles a trip, why not maximize any chances you have at seeing something with that kind of time and gas money already in to it..

I have been in plenty of situations on the plains where the haze was so bad you couldn't see more than 20-30 miles, were in an area with NO cell phone data coverage. Something could have went ballistic 30 miles away and you might have missed the show. That should never happen to you with wxworx. And that is just one scenario of many.

It's not going to make you a better forecaster or chaser. But there is NOTHING like having that "live" data with you 24/7.

Originally posted by Eric B'Hymer
Actually the price increase is for the new bluetooth receiver they now offer. Still 929 for the usb receiver w/ premium mapping and 99 for the holux gps. Im hoping to get this over the winter to go with my new dell laptop i ordered this morning.

congrats on the new dell eric.. What kind did you get?

Originally posted by David Drummond
Why is that really so outrageous to spend on a hobby?

I agree... I've spent more than that on one camera lens. It all depends on how much you are into what you are doing, and of course, funds.

I think the WxWorx system is ideal and very worth the price for me, as I am a lone chaser with no now-caster support. Those days where the sky is socked in will no longer be so much a chase buster for me now, since I can at least get some data to perhaps save the day and make my trip worthwhile (possibly).

Originally posted by David Drummond

true. I guess I just haven't spent that much money on a hobby before. Could be because I have like 5..instead of just one :)

Not casting stones...just not sure I see the benefit...I'll take your word for it. Obviously folks find it useful.

This is what i ordered fplowman, prob is it wont be here till june8-10th, but by next season i will have wxworx to go with it.

Inspiron 6000
Intel? Pentium? M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB), Microsoft? Windows? XP Home Qty: 1
Unit Price: $1,725.00
Inspiron 6000D Intel? Pentium? M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
TM16DN
[221-5488]

Display 15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel
15XGA
[320-4266]

Memory 1GB DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
1GB2D
[311-4741]

Video Card 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITYâ„¢ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics
128ATI
[320-3897]

Hard Drive 60GB Hard Drive
60GB
[341-2124]

Operating System Microsoft? Windows? XP Home
WHXP
[420-4766]
[463-2282]
[412-0689]
[420-4928]
[420-4830]
[412-0706]

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
INTNIC
[430-0493]

Adobe Software Adobe? Acrobat? Reader 6.0
ADOBER
[430-1048]

Combo/DVD+RW Drives 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
24COMBO
[313-3242]
[420-5111]

Wireless Networking Card Intel? PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal Wireless (802.11 a/b/g, 54Mbps)
IP2915
[430-1257]

Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No productivity suite - Corel WordPerfect word processor only
ICOREL
[412-0714]

Security Software No Security Subscription
NSNOR
[412-0802]

Digital Music Dell Jukebox - easy-to-use music player and CD burning software
MMBASE
[412-0741]

Battery 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery (53 WHr)
6BAT
[312-0277]

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr Technical Support
S1OS
[950-9797]
[950-3337]
[412-0360]
[960-6910]
[960-6580]

Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included
AOLDHS
[412-0625]
[420-3224]
[412-0687]
[412-0787]

Digital Imaging Photo Albumâ„¢ SE Basic
DPS
[412-0744]

Miscellaneous Award Winning Service & Support
I6000X3
[463-8991]

Financial Software No QuickBooks package selected- Includes limited use trial
QBSSP
[420-5139]

Dell Home Customers: Save $750 on select Inspiron notebook purchases of $1499 or more (before tax and shipping)!
Expires on 2005-05-26 05:59:00 - $750.00

ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTS AND COUPONS

Dell Home Customers: Free Ground Shipping on Dell Inspiron orders greater than $799!
Expires on 2005-05-26 06:59:59 - $49.00

Dell Home Customers: Save 2% instantly when you use DPA! (Discount applied at Final Checkout) See Details link for complete details.
Expires on 2005-05-24 23:59:59 - $19.50

Sub-Total $955.50
Shipping Discount -$49.00

Shipping and Handling $0.00

Tax $14.53
Total $970.03

Originally posted by Eric B'Hymer
This is what i ordered fplowman, prob is it wont be here till june8-10th
:( wow what a wait. That was one reason i steered away.. I wanted to chase this year with it. I think overall for the money Dell is a great laptop though.

Originally posted by Tyler Allison+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyler Allison)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-David Drummond

true. I guess I just haven't spent that much money on a hobby before. Could be because I have like 5..instead of just one :)

Not casting stones...just not sure I see the benefit...I'll take your word for it. Obviously folks find it useful.[/b]

Ah, as do I. Fortunately, I have found ways to integrate some of them into or alongside storm chasing. Like the vehicle modifications. I love doing that stuff. If it wasn't a chase vehicle I would probably be building up another 69 Dodge Charger. Then there is ham radio and computers and I am venturing into some "hobbist" video projects I might never have tried if not for storm chasing. Heck I want to try my hand at doing one of those Star Wars fan films at some point, and no doubt the cameras, computers and software I have gotten for chasing will come in handy for that.

Yea... that really isnt alot for 1 or 2 of your big hobbies...

My paintball gun costed over 1000 total....lol

I cant really say for chasing i'd spend that much but this is also my first season of really actually getting out and doing it... so this could very well change...

Originally posted by Chris Allington

I cant really say for chasing i'd spend that much but this is also my first season of really actually getting out and doing it... so this could very well change...

Good point. I don't chase in the plains so that could also be the reason why Im not seeing the need for me.

Somebody let me know when the price drops to $20 a month :)

Originally posted by Tyler Allison+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyler Allison)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Chris Allington

Good point. I don't chase in the plains so that could also be the reason why Im not seeing the need for me.

Somebody let me know when the price drops to $20 a month :)[/b]

Tyler, there is a $19.99/mo option, actually. There is also a $29.99/mo plan. The monthly costs aren't what's prohibitive to me. Rather, it's the huge initial equipment cost (the ~$1000) that's keeps me from getting the system.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder

Tyler, there is a $19.99/mo option, actually. There is also a $29.99/mo plan. The monthly costs aren't what's prohibitive to me. Rather, it's the huge initial equipment cost (the ~$1000) that's keeps me from getting the system.

Okay..how'd I miss that on their webpage?!? Now I'm going to have to go back and look again. Burns my butt to think about giving Baron my money but sometimes you gotta pay the devil to play.

<!--QuoteBegin-Jeff Snyder

Okay..how'd I miss that on their webpage?!? Now I'm going to have to go back and look again. Burns my butt to think about giving Baron my money but sometimes you gotta pay the devil to play.[/b]

I wasn't entirely accurate in my above post. The lowest plan for WxWorx starts at $29.99, though I still think that they had a $19.99 for a short while...

The plans are WxWorx plans. However, they are for the Marine or Aviation packages, not the ground / MobileThreatNet plan. You still get radar, but some of the other included products are different. There are actually two different marine plans for $29.99, and one aviation package for $29.99. Check out the marine packages at http://www.wxworx.com/marine/service_pricing.php and the aviation packages at http://www.wxworx.com/aviation/service_pricing.php .

Back