"wX" Android opensource/free weather app - new beta release 3.4

Nope, that's all I need. I think I know what the issue is ( related to an API change between 4.3 and 4.4 which apparently only shows up when a device has multiple "external" storage areas ). I'll post a beta sometime early next week hopefully. Thanks for reporting this.

No pictures from what I was sharing on Friday are in the gallery...

Good job, Josh! One thing I have noticed is that when I load up SPC outlooks, MCD, etc and hit the share button... the app suddenly stops and restarts. Any ideas?

A new version has been uploaded to the "BETA" folder which should fix this. Instead of writing to external storage that permission has been removed from the app and internal storage is used ( private application space ) and the files are made available to other apps via a "FileProvider". For single frame images they are no longer inserted into the picture gallery. Please lease me know if any issues/concerns on this change.

Additionally, an interface was added to http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/Welcome.cgi but it remains in Beta ( long press lightning icon in MISC tab ) and will probably remain in Beta for some time ( more on this later ).

I shared SPC Convective Day 1 Outlook via email and the text attached fine... but no graphics. Thoughts?

I shared SPC Convective Day 1 Outlook via email and the text attached fine... but no graphics. Thoughts?

Can you let me know / try the following:
- want to double-check that the images have downloaded and are showing in entirety in SPC D1 before you tap the share icon
- what email app are you using to share out with?
- can you try to share from an activity that has only one image shown such as the one accessed from the cloud icon?

thanks in advance,
Josh

Can you let me know / try the following:
- want to double-check that the images have downloaded and are showing in entirety in SPC D1 before you tap the share icon
- what email app are you using to share out with?
- can you try to share from an activity that has only one image shown such as the one accessed from the cloud icon?

thanks in advance,
Josh

Josh, it's my email app. I use NitroDesk Touchdown to access my OWA email account at work... ActiveSync only, therefore no attachments...

I then used Gmail and the .png files attached to the email just fine...

Under the IMAGE tab, the two composite radar screens in the upper right corner are non-functional... the app suddenly stops and resets when I depress them...

Under the MISC tab, the #tornado box in the lower right does not have an option to launch the external browser like the #txwx box does...

Under the IMAGE tab, the two composite radar screens in the upper right corner are non-functional... the app suddenly stops and resets when I depress them...

Thanks for mentioning. I think this bug was added recently but only impacted those who have not yet used those activities. Fixed in the release I'm about to release.
Regarding twitter I've enhanced the generic webview activity used for tornado and others to now have the same external launch option as the state twitter searches.

The latest version 3.5392 has been uploaded to the URL below as "wX.apk". The next oldest version has been renamed to include the version number:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9OogdTO1kXqYzktaHZzdGdQSEk&usp=sharing

Android 4.2 or later is required.

Changes:
- Lightning icon on MISC tab now leads to a dedicated lighting activity including a new content provider ( lightningmaps.org ) , selection of multiple sectors and time ranges.
- HRRR has been moved out of the BETA area and replaces the SPC Compmap on MISC tab ( SPC Compmap was moved to SPC tab earlier ). For now only the HRRR operational ( hourly ) is presented. This source has the most parameters for HRRR from any provider used in wX but unfortunately it's also the slowest in terms of response time for loading the images. I still consider this in BETA mode but useful from the main screen.
- SPC Mesoanalysis - added paramters SARS Hail Size, SARS Sig. Hail Percentage , Microburst Composite
- Changes in last BETA releated to storage mechanism for sharing images.
- WXOGL now supports share of animated GIFs
- Bugfix in COD 1km/2km when run for first time
- Most WebView based content now has menu item to open in external browser

Please let me know if you have any issues or suggestions on this new functionality.

thanks,
Josh

The latest version 3.5401 has been uploaded to the URL below as "wX.apk". The next oldest version has been renamed to include the version number:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9OogdTO1kXqYzktaHZzdGdQSEk&usp=sharing

Android 4.2 or later is required.

Changes:
( lack of SPC MCD and SLGT or higher Conv Outlooks after Monday has made testing of the first two features difficult this week )
- Before this release notifications were avilable for SPC Mesoscale discussions but they triggered for any location in the US. With this release in addition to this you can now enable SPC MCD notifications for any of your configured locations. This can be enabled in the settings screen for any particular location. The location specific notification will only differ by the icon used and the text of the notification is prefixed with the location label in parens.
- Before this release notifications were availble for SPC Convective outlooks at slight or higher level impacting any US location. With this release in addition to this you can now enable SPC Convective outlook notification for any of your configured locations. One caveat applies: since polygon are not used all the time there are some corner case scenarios (not yet addressed) that might result in false positives or simply not notifying ( such as one line through Florida with a slight risk to the south yet not forming a polygon since there is only one line )
- Animated GIFs if requested for sharing are now generated in the background
- In Location settings if you search for an address the search token is now entered into the location label by default.

NOTE: Debug status in preferences should not be enabled for normal use as in some cases certain features use historical data instead of current data ( as in SPC convective outlooks since there wasn't much this week after Monday )

Please let me know if you have any issues or suggestions on this new functionality. Thankyou to those who suggested the new notifications.

thanks,
Josh

Back